Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking of getting into one of these games. Could someone help me choose?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Valentine
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's my review on LNOE:

http://ogrecave.com/reviews/last_night.shtml

Here's my review of ATOE:

http://ogrecave.com/reviews/a_touch_of_evil.shtml

Keep in mind that LNOE is NEVER fully cooperative (1+ zombie players). ATOE is either fully co-operative, competitive, or a combination of the two. Co-op in ATOE works best for 2-3. The reviews should have the rest.

Lee Valentine

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Anderson
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Two Time Cancer Survivor - Never Give Up. Never Surrender. -Jason Nesmith from Galaxy Quest (1999 movie)
badge
Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions!
mbmbmbmbmb

I enjoy Touch of Evil much more than LNOE. LNOE sometimes feels broken to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
At Fortress: Ameritrash... LNOE 23, ATOE 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played both games a few times...but I feel that AToE scales better and it feels more like an adventure game (which I like). I don't like having to play multiple heroes if there are not 5 people playing LNoE. I also like the theme of AToE better....I love the old Universal Studio monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Lamb
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I would choose based on what theme you want - they're both very thematic, and in my experience the theme wins people over more than anything.

LNOE is survival horror, and as stated earlier in this thread, is never fully cooperative (at least one person on the zombie team, at least one person on the hero team). But it's "mostly cooperative" in that several players typically play on the Hero side against one zombie player. LNOE tends to be tense and with a roughly constant level of conflict over the course of the game.

ATOE is an adventure game, more about exploration and build-up to a final Showdown with the Villain. It has conflict throughout, of course, but it's clear that it leads up to a climax moreso than LNOE. It's got both coop and competitive rules in the box (and rules for a team game), so if your group favors pure-coop or pure-competitive, this may be a reason to like ATOE more.

Both games are very replayable, both games have great expansions out, and their basic card/dice mechanisms are similar. So I'd just go with whichever one's theme appeals to you and your gaming group more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

I have AToE and LNoE + expansion.

Although I do not like AToE, I would go for LNoE only if you buy the expansion for it. Why ? Because LNoE basic game is too easy and can be completed far too quickly....at least it is fun and with the expansion it adds a certain sparkle and difficult.

LNoE is a much nicer looking game and the characters are more interesting than those in AToE. The baddies and their minions in AToE
lack interest (and the same goes for the Heroes )

AToE is, IMHO, an utterly boring game. I have played AToE (my copy) with a friend's copy of the expansion and I still think it is a downer.

Ofcourse, it would be better if you read the reviews and other posts for both games in their respective forums and finally decide for yourself which one you might prefer.

Enjoy your choice and have fun.

Regards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Quinn
United States
Bradley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I go back and forth on this. I own both games and I really enjoy playing them both. This has its down side. The others who have commented on this seem to all have a clear favorite between the two, so if asked which game they want to play, their decision is easy. Mine's not. A couple friends of mine were over last night for a game of Age of Empires III and we have decided to play ATOE or LNOE next time. I am still kicking it back and forth as to which one I'll break out.

By the way, Heinrich Cartwright (the drifter) in colonial period ATOE seems to have a descendant in modern LNOE (Jake Cartwright, also a drifter). Its nice to see that the family business was handed down through the generations and remained in the family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Kernel
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is a hard choice. I like both games, but must say that contrary to above, I think that LNoE works fine with the base game, and that AToE needs the expansion to really shine. Furthermore, the ogrecave reviews are good, but I disagree with the statement that LNoE are best with 2-3 players. It really comes to its best with 5 players!

Cheerio,
A
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Brownell
United States
Twin Oaks
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on your tastes.

I really like Last Night on Earth, and I still plan on getting the new stuff, but we rarely play it. A Touch of Evil, on the other hand, has helped sidetrack our weekly roleplaying group with its awesomeness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.