A. The Genestealers are placed one after the other,
starting in the square that contained the blip. After all
models have been placed, take overwatch shots against
the revealed Genestealers. A Space Marine in overwatch
that can see one or more of the revealed Genestealers
may take shots against any one of them (the Space
Marine player may choose which).

(emphasis mine)

Does this mean that after an involuntary conversion (in which SM sets up many GSs in such a way he sees all of them) he can freely fire into each and every one of them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gergely Orsó
Hungary
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Well, "any one of them" seems to imply (v.s. "any of them") that you can select one, and take a shot at that one. That leaves us with the confusion over the plural in "shots". The first one can be explained with multiple marines each taking one shot (hence, shots are being taken), but I cannot for the life of me guess what the second "shots" may refer to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Corn
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.
mbmbmbmbmb
cadamec wrote:
One shot per marine, per stealer, per action.

Multiple Marines would each take one shot at one stealer. Or, if one Marine has LOS to multple stealers, he would take a shot at each one.

I believe those are the situations where the term shots comes into effect here.

Yes, one shot would be taken. "Shots" could be referencing the rapid-fire, multi-shot capability of the Storm Bolter if that makes you feel better.
Edit: Oops, misread, clarified below.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
mbmbmbmbmb
Obviously it's for the drinking-game variant, where you have to take a shot if you loose a figure!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Corn
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
baba44713 wrote:
Yes, the second "shots" miffed me. If it was

"Space Marine in overwatch... make take a single shot..."

then all would be kosher. I guess it *could* be simply a case unfortunate choice of wording but still...

I'm pretty sure that's a typo, or maybe the fact that the Storm Bolter throws out a lot of stuff... it should be one shot per Space Marine, regardless of the number of Genestealers that appear. I'll see if I can get that clarified.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aargh.. clicked delete instead of edit. Grr.

Anyway, the question basically is: Can ONE marine take MORE shots during ONE overwatch reaction?

I would say no, however FAQ basically says yes, and cadamet also said yes (and got some thumbs). I'm more inclined to agree with Haggis, though, regardless of how official FAQ chose to put it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chakroun Karim
France
Besancon
Franche-Comté
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I'd say no. It would be contradicting the rulebook (...he must take one shoot action...), and what was released is a FAQ, not an errata.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael H.
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
mb
One action -> one ow shot. The unusual thing in this situation is, that the marine player may choose something (the target).

If a blip reveal with 3 genestealers didn't count as 3 actions, you only have to shoot once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chakroun Karim
France
Besancon
Franche-Comté
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
cadamec wrote:
carthaginian wrote:
I'd say no. It would be contradicting the rulebook (...he must take one shoot action...), and what was released is a FAQ, not an errata.

Yes, one shoot action per stealer action. So if he sees multiple stealer actions, such as when multiple stealers are revealed in his line of sight, then he takes a shot at each one. That is how I understand it.

actually you may be right, as per p17 of the rulebook, "placing a Genestealer counts as one action". So when a 3GS blip is involuntarily revealed, you place one GS, check if it enters the LOS of an overwatch Space Marine, if yes shoot. repeat 2 times... I tended to see the conversion as one unique instantaneous action, hence the misunderstanding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Corn
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
carthaginian wrote:
cadamec wrote:
carthaginian wrote:

Yes, one shoot action per stealer action. So if he sees multiple stealer actions, such as when multiple stealers are revealed in his line of sight, then he takes a shot at each one. That is how I understand it.

actually you may be right, as per p17 of the rulebook, "placing a Genestealer counts as one action". So when a 3GS blip is involuntarily revealed, you place one GS, check if it enters the LOS of an overwatch Space Marine, if yes shoot. repeat 2 times... I tended to see the conversion as one unique instantaneous action, hence the misunderstanding.

Per the FAQ:
After all models have been placed, take overwatch shots against the revealed Genestealers. (emphasis mine)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Corn
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Official clarification of this from Jervis Johnson is that it should say "may take a shot" and not "shots". The Q&A will be correctly shortly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.