Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alwin Appels
Belgium
Mol
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi all

The sympathetic cylon can infiltrate, quote 'like a cylon leader'. Does this mean that an infiltrating 'sympathetic cylon' can use his character's abilities (including his once in a game ability) and has that characters skill set (which would mean that he can't draw treachery cards unless he'd be Elen Tigh)?

Quick edit (right after posting)

The rules say you become a revealed cylon (but don't draw a super crisis card) and that you can infiltrate 'like' a Cylon leader. You could argue that that doens't make you an actual leader.
How would you guys play it? (maybe I just answered my own question)

Thanks for your thoughts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that you act like a revealed Cylon, except that you are allowed to infiltrate. i.e, you essentially turn your character card facedown, you may draw from any skill decks, etc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
bleached_lizard wrote:
I would say that you act like a revealed Cylon, except that you are allowed to infiltrate. i.e, you essentially turn your character card facedown, you may draw from any skill decks, etc...

Good call. Your character sheet is already "turned face down" when you reveal so nothing instructs you to bring it back "face up."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When you are infiltrating you are considered "a human player". No text from Treachery skill cards can be used, but text from others can be. You could still draw Treachery if you wish.

Page 18 is pretty clear, actually. You are a revealed cylon. You may infiltrate like a cylon leader. You may draw three cards of ANY type, but they MUST be from three different skill decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a REAL shame that the backside of the character sheets does not have a Revealed Cylon character sheet printed on them. (move to Cylon locs, draw 2 cards, etc).

I've GOT to get some printed from the BSG files/gallery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GerryRailBaron wrote:
It's a REAL shame that the backside of the character sheets does not have a Revealed Cylon character sheet printed on them. (move to Cylon locs, draw 2 cards, etc).

I've GOT to get some printed from the BSG files/gallery.

Even better if each one was specific to the original character--cylon side of Adama's card still has his character portrait, but with bright red eye. Hah!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing it so that the character gets their human abilities back while infiltrating. The rulebook doesn't really specify, but if it's the other way around then that's terribly boring for the Sympathetic Cylon player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Shredding Day wrote:
that's terribly boring for the Sympathetic Cylon player.

That's the life of a Sympathizer and why most peopel don't like the mechanic.

But nothing in the rules flips it back over so you have to follow what it has told you - no abilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Shredding Day wrote:

But nothing in the rules flips it back over so you have to follow what it has told you - no abilities.

At least the Sympathetic Cylon is an improvement over the original Sympathizer:
1. You get an Agenda card, so it's not obvious which side you want to win.
2. You get to infiltrate, so you have a ton more locations available to you.
3. When infiltrating, you can draw 1 more card, use abilities on skill cards, and contribute more to skill checks.
4. When not infiltrating, you can use treachery card abilities.

On top of all that, the cylon locations are improved.

All in all, I can see playing a Sympathetic Cylon will be a lot more fun that playing the original Sympathizer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cactus god
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mvettemagred wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Shredding Day wrote:

3. When infiltrating, you can draw 1 more card, use abilities on skill cards, and contribute more to skill checks.

On top of all that, the cylon locations are improved.

All in all, I can see playing a Sympathetic Cylon will be a lot more fun that playing the original Sympathizer.

Actually I have had an EXTREME amount of fun playing as the sympathetic cylon. You can do all sorts of good and bad without the players really knowing what the heck is going on. For instance, you can play a calculations card on a dice roll and LOWER it, thus making them lose a skill check and things like that. Then, you could go and do something beneficial to the humans and they dont know whats going on. I think that it's 10x's better than the original sympathizer and even the cylon leader, because the resource dials are no longer a target and the sympathizer can be either good or bad, regardless.

To be honest, I think that this mechanic (especially in a 6 player game) is just downright fantastic. We're pushing well over 100 plays (pegasus and base game combined) and my group definitely thinks that the sympathetic cylon is a vast improvement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan
Germany
flag msg tools
I love Games with ~~~ THEME ~~~~
badge
I don't have hobbies I have *p@ssions*
mbmbmbmbmb
mvettemagred wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Shredding Day wrote:

Most important to me:

You do not have to do the athematical selfhurting procedure as humans decreasing one resource into the red zone intenionaly to avoid another 100% cylon.
On the ohter hand: doesen't these variant strengthen executuion and a fast escape from New Caprica for most of the time Moral is decraesed for avoidance of a pro Cylon Sympathizer in the base game..?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.