United States
Chatham
Illinois
flag msg tools
BoardGameGeek
badge
BoardGameGeek
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played through the first mission, so materials were not an issue. However, after looking at some of the other missions, I could see running out of blips or genestealers. Has this been a problem for anyone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3rd Ed rules confine the game to the components in the box. If you run out of blips, then you get no more blips. Run out of stealers, you get no more stealers.

I'm not sure if there are voluntary "death" of stealers/blips like in Doom: The Boardgame, where if you have no more models, you can remove one from the board to fill it in...

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rami Finkelshtein
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Just another day on the staircase
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
3rd Ed rules confine the game to the components in the box. If you run out of blips, then you get no more blips. Run out of stealers, you get no more stealers.

I'm not sure if there are voluntary "death" of stealers/blips like in Doom: The Boardgame, where if you have no more models, you can remove one from the board to fill it in...

-shnar

Ummm actually in every mission except Exterminate (I believe) that once you run out of blips you get to reshuffle all of the blips back and make a new "draw stack" also you have 22 genestealers...generally speaking these should be MORE than enough for playing since with 22 genestealers on the board the new blips would have problems getting into line of sight or even having places left to reveal that they aren't getting gunned down. Unless you are just sitting with your genestealers doing nothing in random corners of the map (that the marine player is not trying to get to) you should have no problem with whats in the box...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Grey
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Biomage wrote:
I have only played through the first mission, so materials were not an issue. However, after looking at some of the other missions, I could see running out of blips or genestealers. Has this been a problem for anyone?

For the base game, no way. Unless you voluntarily convert every one of your blips into stealer models right off the bat, I doubt you can run out of models.

Now to expand and create your own variants, I'd recommend more tiles. I intend to create a 3-4 player variant and have taken to scanning tiles and printing 2+ copies of each. Probably mount them to a foam board of some kind, unless I find a more durable material. Also purchased additional genestealer minis and a set of Chaos Space Marine Terminators from the GW site. Additional blips/counters/etc can also be scanned and printed.

Guessing it wouldn't be legal to upload any scanned tiles to BGG.. so I wouldn't be able to share my work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaFink wrote:
Ummm actually in every mission except Exterminate (I believe) that once you run out of blips you get to reshuffle all of the blips back and make a new "draw stack"

Yes, of course. I was assuming the OP meant blips on the board. I.e. he has drawn /every/ blip and has it on the board, with none left to reshuffle. If you get into this case, what do you do?

I actually think there are rules that state you can only play with what's in the box (i.e. cannot add additional stealers/blips/termies), but do not have my rulebook in front of me to quote it...

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rami Finkelshtein
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Just another day on the staircase
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:

Yes, of course. I was assuming the OP meant blips on the board. I.e. he has drawn /every/ blip and has it on the board, with none left to reshuffle. If you get into this case, what do you do?

I actually think there are rules that state you can only play with what's in the box (i.e. cannot add additional stealers/blips/termies), but do not have my rulebook in front of me to quote it...

-shnar

I can't think of any map where this is possible... i mean to have every blip on the board and have them hidden from all terminators... I think this would have to be a very specific scenario which no sane person would ever make during the game...(which will never stop it from being debated though)

On that note yea you don't get more genestealers models than the game comes with..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyoko Steeple
United States
Columbia
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaFink wrote:
Unless you are just sitting with your genestealers doing nothing in random corners of the map...

I've only played the scenario once, but this seems to be the only way to win Exterminate as the 'stealers. Hide in a corner and out-evolve the Terminators...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I definately agree, but I was just answering the OP's question. If for some bizarre reason, all your blips were on the board, then you're stuck and cannot draw more blips that turn until some are converted.

But, what if you have all stealers on the board. When you convert a blip, can you remove stealers from a different location on the board to the newly converted blip (like you can in Doom)?

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cygnus 2112
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
But, what if you have all stealers on the board. When you convert a blip, can you remove stealers from a different location on the board to the newly converted blip (like you can in Doom)?

-shnar

I would say that you can't. You are right in that once you are out of GS models you can't place any more and the rules about converting blips say that if you can't place a model (and you can't because you have none left) then you lose that GS. Which would be cause for the SM player to start causing as many involuntary converts as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.