United Kingdom
South Leverton
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The FAQ says:

Quote:
Q. Can you clarify how I can spend command points?
A. Command points have priority over everything. In your
turn, spend them however, wherever, and whenever you
want with no restrictions, interrupting another Space
Marine’s actions if desired. In the Genestealer's turn, you
have to wait until one of your Space Marines sees a
Genestealer do something. Then decide if you want to
spend any command points – you may do so to carry out
a single action with a single Space Marine anywhere on
the board (not just one that saw the Genestealer do
something). After spending any command points, check
for overwatch shots for Space Marines that didn’t have
command points spent upon them.

So I think this means:

1) Genestealer moves
2) I can choose to spend CP on any model
3) If I didn't spend CP on a model on OW then that model (and any relevant others) must OW fire

Fine but what if:

1) GS moves
2) OW fire leads to jam
3) GS moves again
4) I spend CP to unjam
5) Must the newly unjammed marine now immediately use OW fire, or is that now excluded because of the deliberate choice of wording of the final sentence quoted above?

I think the latter. That is OK. At least its better than all that "Free Action equals the One Action that you can take per turn" nonsense that we were getting into before.

Take life calmly, Cod.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
*sigh* this FAQ was A) not very well thought out and B) not at all playtested.

I honestly don't know how this should work. By making "phases" between CPs and Overwatch, a strict reading of the rules + FAQ would say that after clearing the Jam you would take an Overwatch shot. My gut is saying they didn't mean it that way, i.e. turn 1 = jam, turn 2 = clear, turn 3 = overwatch shot...

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Culp
United States
Gillette
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
it could be written better..but the marine who just unjammed his weapon, had CP spent on him, therefore cannot take an overwatch shot.

Quote:
After spending any command points, check
for overwatch shots for Space Marines that didn’t have
command points spent upon them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Corn
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.
mbmbmbmbmb
If a SM has command points spent on him, he can't take any other actions in response to that Genestealer's action.

So clearing a jam means you flip the token back to overwatch, and that's it until the GS moves again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
Haggis wrote:
If a SM has command points spent on him, he can't take any other actions in response to that Genestealer's action.

So clearing a jam means you flip the token back to overwatch, and that's it until the GS moves again.

Couldn't be simpler.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:

Really? Not playtested? Do you have any inside information about how well 3rd ed was or wasn't tested, or are you merely making an "any change from 1st ed was stupid and hence untested" generalization?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm saying the FAQ wasn't, not 3rd Ed in general. These feel very much like Jarvis thinking the situation through and giving an answer on how he wanted them to be (not on coming up with a decision, playtesting many times, seeing which is better, discussing with a group, etc). Course, this is going off my "feeling" reading the answers

And as for playtesting 3r Ed in general, the way the rules have brought up so many questions after just one play, it feels that what playtesting was done was done from players who had played previous versions, and so made assumptions that aren't in the rules. Any time they might have had a question, Jarvis could explain it, but didn't put it in the rules. So, sure it was playtested, just poorly.

Again, this is going off my feeling

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
I'm saying the FAQ wasn't, not 3rd Ed in general. These feel very much like Jarvis thinking the situation through and giving an answer on how he wanted them to be (not on coming up with a decision, playtesting many times, seeing which is better, discussing with a group, etc). Course, this is going off my "feeling" reading the answers

And as for playtesting 3r Ed in general, the way the rules have brought up so many questions after just one play, it feels that what playtesting was done was done from players who had played previous versions, and so made assumptions that aren't in the rules. Any time they might have had a question, Jarvis could explain it, but didn't put it in the rules. So, sure it was playtested, just poorly.

Again, this is going off my feeling

-shnar

It was my understanding that the FAQs were clarifications of the existing rules that may have been worded poorly in the rulebook. As such, no playtesting of the FAQs were required.

I believe 1st ed brought up lots of rules questions too. In fact, most games do... Arkham Horror was floating in FAQs.

I think the internet makes this seem worse than it is... Once upon a time, you just played the way you thought you should. Now you discuss it over the internet and get many interpretation of the rules.

Just my opinion...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
shnar wrote:
I'm saying the FAQ wasn't, not 3rd Ed in general. These feel very much like Jarvis thinking the situation through and giving an answer on how he wanted them to be (not on coming up with a decision, playtesting many times, seeing which is better, discussing with a group, etc).

It was my understanding that the FAQs were clarifications of the existing rules that may have been worded poorly in the rulebook. As such, no playtesting of the FAQs were required.

Exactly. You can fault the rulebook for being unclear--but I don't think it was upon hearing the need for a FAQ that Mr. Johnson first questioned, "Gee, how do jams work?" Nor is it reasonable to suppose he produced a game in which he didn't understand the LOS rules. Rather, the rules were clear in his mind, the produced document did not make those rules clear in everyone else's--hence the need for a FAQ. Playtesting doesn't enter into it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Corn
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gyges wrote:
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
shnar wrote:
I'm saying the FAQ wasn't, not 3rd Ed in general. These feel very much like Jarvis thinking the situation through and giving an answer on how he wanted them to be (not on coming up with a decision, playtesting many times, seeing which is better, discussing with a group, etc).

Exactly. You can fault the rulebook for being unclear--but I don't think it was upon hearing the need for a FAQ that Mr. Johnson first questioned, "Gee, how do jams work?" Nor is it reasonable to suppose he produced a game in which he didn't understand the LOS rules. Rather, the rules were clear in his mind, the produced document did not make those rules clear in everyone else's--hence the need for a FAQ. Playtesting doesn't enter into it.

This is my impression as well, he clearly understands how the game was intended to play.

I've explained Space Hulk to a few casual gamers this past weekend, and nobody had any questions like we've seen here. We're kind of a rare breed...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Schlimgen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haggis wrote:
I've explained Space Hulk to a few casual gamers this past weekend, and nobody had any questions like we've seen here. We're kind of a rare breed...

But by you explaining the rules instead of them reading the rules, you automatically give them your interpretation and experience. Plus, if they asked for a clarification during play, you would again give them your interpretation or draw on your experience.

I would guess that you explained things in an unambiguous manner. For example, you probably said something like "parry forces the genestealer to re-roll his highest die" and not "forcing the opposing player to re-roll his highest-scoring dice", which is how the rule is actually written.

So of course there's going to be fewer questions overall ... you've already answered the kinds of questions being asked here in your explanation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pete lovatt
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
shnar wrote:

-shnar

of course it wasn't Jervis wrote it.
back in the day that dude could do no wrong, nowdays i see people regularly bashing on him, after looking at some of his recent work i can honestly see why.
its not a nice thing to say granted but there's truth to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Corn
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
macron wrote:
Haggis wrote:

But by you explaining the rules instead of them reading the rules, you automatically give them your interpretation and experience. Plus, if they asked for a clarification during play, you would again give them your interpretation or draw on your experience.

I would guess that you explained things in an unambiguous manner. For example, you probably said something like "parry forces the genestealer to re-roll his highest die" and not "forcing the opposing player to re-roll his highest-scoring dice", which is how the rule is actually written.

So of course there's going to be fewer questions overall ... you've already answered the kinds of questions being asked here in your explanation.

True, but I specifically didn't go into great LOS detail ("if you are standing in the entryway you can see the whole room, unless a Genestealer is in the way" is what I taught) or whether a blip could be targeted by a move-and-shoot (they figured that one out, "yes", by the way), or how to handle CPs after involuntary reveals (usually CPs were all spent except for one or two depending on overwatch setups), or why any Terminator could spend CPs when a different Terminator saw a GS... it's a pretty easy game to teach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Grey
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an overwatch question but don't want to create a new thread for it..

When a Space Marine who is on overwatch witnesses a door closing in his LOS, is it mandatory that he shoot the door?

We were playing that it is mandatory for a SM to shoot at a closing door, like it's mandatory for him to shoot at GS's. I was the GS player last night, and tried to exploit this fact by constantly opening and closing a door in front of a marine hoping his gun would jam.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Corn
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SPARTAN VI wrote:
I have an overwatch question but don't want to create a new thread for it..

When a Space Marine who is on overwatch witnesses a door closing in his LOS, is it mandatory that he shoot the door?

We were playing that it is mandatory for a SM to shoot at a closing door, like it's mandatory for him to shoot at GS's. I was the GS player last night, and tried to exploit this fact by constantly opening and closing a door in front of a marine hoping his gun would jam. :)

Yes, there's a specific rule for this on page 19. It also applies to assault cannons (though the rule is under the Storm Bolter section, this was added in the FAQ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
SPARTAN VI wrote:
We were playing that it is mandatory for a SM to shoot at a closing door, like it's mandatory for him to shoot at GS's. I was the GS player last night, and tried to exploit this fact by constantly opening and closing a door in front of a marine hoping his gun would jam.

I don't think that's an exploit, it's one tactic. Your problem here is that 1) you use up a bunch of points you could have used to run towards the marine and 2) you run the risk of the door getting destroyed, which is bad.

But if you're standing with a genestealer diagonally behind the door (so he won't run the risk of being shot himself) and doing this with a genestealer who's out of melee range anyway, just waiting for the gun to jam so it can run in with a closer genestealer… I just say, go for it. It's a good something to do, and I personally don't see anything wrong with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
macron wrote:

Exactly. And I kind of think that's how this game was playtested. Rather than just giving the manual to some noobs and let them go nuts, it was explained to people, and so most questions were answered by the person explaining (whether or not they were in the rules).

I don't mean to knock Jervis, I love the guy and think he does great work. I'm just really puzzled by some of the decisions made with this edition of Space Hulk.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Grey
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
SPARTAN VI wrote:

I don't think that's an exploit, it's one tactic. Your problem here is that 1) you use up a bunch of points you could have used to run towards the marine and 2) you run the risk of the door getting destroyed, which is bad.

But if you're standing with a genestealer diagonally behind the door (so he won't run the risk of being shot himself) and doing this with a genestealer who's out of melee range anyway, just waiting for the gun to jam so it can run in with a closer genestealer… I just say, go for it. It's a good something to do, and I personally don't see anything wrong with it.

We were playing MII- Exterminate, and I had a 3-blip and 3 GS models packed into a single room out of a SM's LOS. One GS was in the corner adjacent to the door, while the SM was about 2 space from the door. Most if not all of the GS's in the room could have gone after the SM, so I fiddled around with the door trying to jam his gun first.

Thematically, it's kinda funny... a four-armed alien mashing a button on the door like a child in an elevator while the Space Marine looks on and shoots at the door like a cat swatting a toy-thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.