James Perry
United States
Spring Hill
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Ex-Term-In-Ate
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a great turnout for our Settler's tournament at GameCon Memphis this year. The winner went home with the 10th Anniversary edition of Settlers. Now I'm left with a dilemna...

What prize / tournament should be the big thing next year?

We'll do another Settler's tournament, I'm fairly sure of that. The Dominion tournament maxed out (with people waiting to see if there were no shows). Munchkin was a hit as always.

Any thoughts from the BGG community? What tournament/prize would you like to see? (Of course, after Essen answers may change quite a bit!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, at the risk of being trite, you should do whatever is popular with the people you play with. If you're talking about a multi-stage tournament, you should probably pick games that play in a pretty short amount of time (Settlers is pushing it really). I think that Ra and Race for the Galaxy would both make good tournament games, but if nobody knows/likes them, the obviously not so much.

As for prizes, a gift certificate is always a possibility, either from a FLGS or from an online store like Thoughthammer. As far as games go, try to make it something not too many people are likely to have (or have yet). If I was running one tomorrow, I'd probably try to get Endeavor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A pitchcar tournament with the game as the prize would be a fun idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Perry
United States
Spring Hill
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Ex-Term-In-Ate
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris,

I'm right there with you on giving the players what they want. But right now I'm at a loss as to how best to follow up this year. Luckily I have a few months before we announce next years tournaments.

James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
Nagold
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A monopoly tournament? Popular game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.