Popular Tags: [View All]
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been a while since I played Java. It's rated 9 by me and my wife, but I can't remember how easy it would be for a newbie gamer to pick up?

I've been asked to loan a game for a husband and wife couple to begin (hopefully) their descent into gaming.

They are both bright people, but whilst we find games like Agricola and Through the Ages easy enough, I remember being very put off by some of the heavy games and mechanics.

From memory Java was pretty simple. What do you think?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I'd definitely go with Mexica over this as an introductory game. It introduces the idea of Action Points and majorities and so forth, and still has plenty of room for clever play, but lacks the 3-D aspect--which makes this the thinkiest of the Action Point games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good point. Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

And I would suggest Tikal. It has the clearest theme integration and the actions you do to achieve your goal are clear. Nice graphics too.

Java feels a little more abstract and has some rules twists that might add complexity for a beginner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Faehnle
United States
Cincinnati
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't use any of this trilogy for the stated purpose.

If they are going to be self-teaching (as the "loan" implies), I would choose something that isn't as dry, and is a better two-player game. Also, something simple: Battle Line is a good, addictive, fast two-player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I love all three games, but here's another vote for Tikal as a good introductory game. Java can be a brain-burner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, another vote for Tikal. I've used it as an introduction to Euros several times, and in all cases they've wanted to play again!

It's a great intro to action points/area majority, as the goal of the game is pretty clear cut, and the actions themselves are all pretty simple and straight forward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Harkes
Netherlands
Voorburg
Zuid Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No. Especially not if they will be self teaching. I have come across lots of perpective-challenged people while teaching. I think Java is a real hit or miss type of game.

Looking through your collection I see lots of games that would be more appropriate.

Fearsome floors, through the desert (these two I use a lot for introduction)
Lost cities, finca(? don't one it), samurai, winner's circle, thebes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Redden
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Nut'n honey
badge
"One of the key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace, good people don't go into government." - Donald Trump
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott Firestone IV wrote:

I'd definitely go with Mexica over this as an introductory game. It introduces the idea of Action Points and majorities and so forth, and still has plenty of room for clever play, but lacks the 3-D aspect--which makes this the thinkiest of the Action Point games.

It will be real easy to wipe the pants off newbies at Mexica even if you explain all the rules clearly and completely. Still, that's the way of it with most games, so whether they like the game or not will be dependent on their ability to handle loss and move on. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

Tikal. Easy to learn and fun to play
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
Norbert666 wrote:
It's rated 9 by me and my wife, but I can't remember how easy it would be for a newbie gamer to pick up?

The box is really big and heavy, but most fully-grown men could manage it. UNLESS... you'd made them play it beforehand, in which case they would be a mewling husk in the corner of the room. Seriously, the two hardest games I've played are this and Reef Encounter, and although it's theoretically possible to play them with newbies you might snap their neurons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P B
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I regularly introduce Java to newbies that have no little to no experience with boardgames. It is always very well received.

After the third turn, players throw away the action point aid. The game is very intuitive and easy to learn. Just because it is a deep game, does not mean it is complex to learn.

Mexica and Tikal are great options as well, but I find them unplayable for only 2 people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunter Van Sweevelt
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Kimball Bent wrote:
I regularly introduce Java to newbies that have no little to no experience with boardgames. It is always very well received.

After the third turn, players throw away the action point aid. The game is very intuitive and easy to learn. Just because it is a deep game, does not mean it is complex to learn.

Mexica and Tikal are great options as well, but I find them unplayable for only 2 people.

I agree with Kimball.

The rules are not that difficult.
You just have a lot of possibilities.
It's a great game with virtually no luck,
the only luck lies in drawing palace cards.
Plays well with 2. (mexica is also good with 2 players but java is much better)

A really ,really great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.