Subject: Why are there so many "post-something" music genres? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
/semi-rant

Who makes up these names? Post-rock, post-punk, post-industrial, post-hardcore, post-grunge. Did I miss any? Don't these genres deserve unique names?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sinister Dexter wrote:
Don't these genres deserve unique names?

Steve
Buford
Timothy
Bruce
Amanda
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
Everything is defined within a system of differences.

They are named for what they aren't since what they are hasn't been codified yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I like a lot of bands that fall under a very specific subsection of the "post-rock" umbrella, but it's a terrible term that's shifting and inadequate and too generic.

It covers so many bands that are so musically diverse that it's practically meaningless. Plus, if it's "after rock," what comes next? Post-post-rock?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chony McChuukface
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Because they want you to know they are so over that genre. It is so last year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
Same thing happened to "alternative." Although that started out a little hazy, anyway - sometimes it just meant "not pop"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Sinister Dexter wrote:
Did I miss any?

"post-metal". Which is now called "sludge metal", a term that should have been left to the likes of Eyehategod. Wikipedia has it right, rateyourmusic has it wrong, IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
Sinister Dexter wrote:
Same thing happened to "alternative." Although that started out a little hazy, anyway - sometimes it just meant "not pop"

Which is destined to become pop. Nirvana is/was "alternative" and now outsells Elvis. Also, New Wave was originally a catchall "non-pop" label that later took on more meaning.

CrankyPants wrote:
Everything is defined within a system of differences.

They are named for what they aren't since what they are hasn't been codified yet.

Or, if named after the fact... proto. Like proto-punk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only one I understood was "post-punk". It's basically a punk band that learned how to play their instruments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Knock knock open up the door it's Riel
Netherlands
Tilburg
It's wurples all the way down.
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Happy Oak Leaf!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's because they all want to be different. And every year there needs to be a new 'cool' thing.

2010 is going to be the year of alternative indie proto-post-nu-britpopcore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Hendricks
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Blame it on the Post-romantics

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
The term "post" or "nu" usually just describes something that is heavily influenced by but isn't in fact that thing (with "proto" being the influencer on the other side of the time-line).

What's the point? As soon as you create a name to classify something it becomes coopted changed anyway. Remember when Emo and Math Rock meant something completely different?

What is punk? Suicide? The Damned? The Undertones? Dead Kennedys? Green Day? Blink 182? None of these bands sound remotely like each other.

We operate in a language of modifiers. Just look at the term "Progressive". Ask someone in the 70s and it meant operatic rock. In the 80s it was what later became Post-Modern then Alternative -- although Alternative turned into something completely different from what it originally was (you can thank Pearl Jam and their clones). This was reinforced by a song by Consolidated. In the 90s it was two different things both entirely foreign from each other - Progressive Metal, and Progressive House (which in turn was a little different from the later progressive trance, and progressive D&B). But in all of these, if you said "progressive" people would know what you were talking about.

It seems to me that musical genres that are outright named are defined by a mindset or a fashion style rather than the sound of the music that is being made. Ever checked the dudes out in the classical section?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eager
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
DBA Junkie
badge
"A Book should serve as the Ax for the frozen sea within us."-- KAFKA
mbmbmbmbmb
Sinister Dexter wrote:

shake The sordid history of the co-opting of "alternative" is actually much longer. Originally the bands were real alternatives to mainstream music, usually experimental work like Fred Frith; on the more well-known side of the term were bands like early Sonic Youth. They weren't metal, punk, prog or pop, they were simply something...else.
As more bands came along aping the sounds of these bands, and as the original "alternative" bands themselves moved toward more commercial types of music, the term began to lose definition and was applied to everything from REM to grunge. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sinister Dexter wrote:
/semi-rant

Who makes up these names? Post-rock, post-punk, post-industrial, post-hardcore, post-grunge. Did I miss any? Don't these genres deserve unique names?

Music critics make this junk up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread is so post alt nu american grunge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hedke
United States
Gibraltar
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Most problems can be solved with either a stiff drink, a bowel movement, or a bullet.
mbmbmbmbmb
Surely it would be far superior to label your music as "pre-makesomethingup", then you can claim to be the progenitor of a new style.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
BradyLS wrote:
Sinister Dexter wrote:
/semi-rant

Music critics make this junk up.

What makes it junk? I find it useful. How much post-rock, or post-punk do you listen to? Who are these music critics that you are talking about? I think that musicians and fans use the terminology, critics tend to be fans that get paid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.