Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whenever I play Chinatown, I have trouble keeping track of how much income I'll be making. I have to keep shifting focus between finding my businesses on the board, figuring out how much I make from that set based on its size and completeness, and keeping a running total of how much I'm at so far in the process.

What I'd like to have is little chits for each possible size of business and the income earned from such a set. For instance, one chit would have "incomplete 3: $40k", and another "complete 4: $80k". Complete vs. incomplete could be differentiated by colour or design so that each chit contains very little text. Now, when a player adds any tiles to the board, the player takes or replaces chits so that they can quickly total his or her income for the round.

Anything I whip up wouldn't be worth posting on BGG, but I wanted to share my idea in case it helps any others who aren't very good at keeping track of numbers in their heads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amir Rachum
Israel
Ramat Gan
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a good idea to me. Anyone willing to create something we can print and use?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

Why not use small poker chips with different colours and add small lables on them ?

Just an idea....I do not have this game so I cannot visualize what kind of chits you would want.

All I know is that poker chips can in very handy

Regards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Maiz
United States
Palmyra
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
working on something like that now..

I might have a 2 part chart
part 1- the businesses you have on the board
part 2- the value for that business..

down would be the businesses
across would be the income

place your color on the tiles for each business you own, as per unopened or open...etc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Maiz
United States
Palmyra
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the only problem I have so far is that the businesses might change each round, so you would have to remember what you got for that turn

Not sure if the chart thing would work to make it easier, but it would give you a one-stop look to see who has what..

Just submitted a chart - once its up, you can look at it..let me know what you guys and gals think..

cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Maiz
United States
Palmyra
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
file now found here:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/47591

let me know what you think..
-Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I made my own file based on Joe's idea. Each player gets a sheet which basically looks like the income reference card, but with a space to put a token. At the end of each round, you can audit your businesses and put a token on the sheet for each business you have on the board. Then, you give yourself income based on where the tokens are.

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/48417

For instance, if I have two completed businesses of size 3, and one incomplete business of size 4, I put a token in the fourth column in the top row, and two tokens in the third column in the bottom row. Then, I look at the income for those tokens: the top one gains $60k, and the bottom two each gain $50k.

It's a bit less fiddly than having counters to pick up and put back, and it also is a bit more compact than Joe's file since the type of business doesn't matter when you're collecting income. However, some people might prefer having one sheet for all players to be able to see how everyone is doing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.