Subject: Who's the Daddy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darryl Ashing
United Kingdom
Barnet
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It’s been a while since I last posted a session report so it may be worth recapping - I host a regular Friday night gaming session to which a mixture of old school friends, newer buddies and general hangers on show up. To add confusion my kids (10 and 8) often play in the first game of the evening before we try something a little more vicious and/or confusing.

Mike, our resident game addict (who makes me feel good about my own game addiction) had brought along several games last week and I managed to convince everyone that what we should try is Battlestar Galactica allowing my eldest son (Adam) to play whilst I bamboozled my daughter into reading on the sofa. Unbeknownst to us, Mike, an inveterate tinkerer, had decided that BSG could easily cope with eight players despite the fact that the rules say up to 6. Sigh - when will we learn?

Anyway a quick round up of players and characters (clockwise round the table from me):

Me - Baltar
Nigel - William Adama
Adam (my son) - Starbuck
Gary - Helo
Mike - Boomer (I think!)
Patrick - Chief Tyrol
Big Adam - Zarek
Daniel - damned if I can remember but I think it was Tigh!

So how did Mike adapt the game - he put 4 Cylon cards in the deck! He then forgot to add the two extra loyalty cards - it’s never a dull game with Mike at the table. I think he must have assumed that at least one pair of Cylon cards would come out and we would have 4v4 with a sympathizer going Cylon. As it turned out this was a bit optimistic.

It’s always worth knowing the personalities at the table so forgive my aside:

Me - sad gaming geek with a background as a real roleplayer: I suspect this is why I choose Baltar every time as he is so sad!

Nigel - brain the size of a planet and he works at GCHQ, if this man can’t figure out who the Cylons are then we’re all doomed, and I mean that for real. Although handing this man nukes always makes me nervous.

Adam - what can I say: Starbuck is a good choice for a ten year old!

Gary - BSG neophyte and why the heck he chose a character that’s not even on the board for ages is beyond me. Has a bad reputation for analysis paralysis but doesn't really apply in BSG, thank heavens.

Mike - likes to play groovy chicks with guns ‘nuff said. Still he owns all the best games so he’s always welcome.

Patrick - another BSG novice and I get the impression was struggling a bit, but he is always good at analysing games and looking lost whilst quietly winning so maybe it was all just a ploy.

Big Adam - father of one of my son’s friends, late comer to gaming but taken to it like a duck to water.

Daniel - Big Adam’s eldest son (13) who is allowed to play with the big boys.

OK, I am the pres and I get the Inspirational Speech Quorum card which amuses me no end (in a previous game I played two of these failing the roll and then immediately drew morale losing crisis cards - as you can imagine when I now announce that I am getting my soapbox out everyone yells "Noooo!" in a most dispiriting way. I am looking forward to this. As ever my two loyalty cards have come up human. In both previous games I’ve played Baltar and always been human so I am assuming more of the same is on the way.

I draw first player and am resigned to having few cards for ages, annoying with 8 of us at the table. The game starts quietly and there’s no clue who might be a Cylon. Indeed things go swimmingly for the first time round - we jump away, no sign of Cylon fleets, resources are holding up. I am starting to suspect Mike, but as even I have come to realise that is because I suspect Mike is out to get me in every game. Highlight of this section of the game is Starbuck charging into the midst of the enemy just as they spawn a bunch more raiders. Daniel nicely arranges the figures so that they surround Starbuck, Little Adam feels put upon. He then gets damaged by the first shot they make. So much for the vaunted military capabilities of Galactica and its crew. Me I’ve racked up a nice hand of quorum cards.

We manage to jump to Kobol and its time to have some more loyalty cards. Damn! I’ve drawn a Cylon card and I was relying on the humans cruising to an easy win. Gary as Helo has finally shown up and turns out to be a sympathizer and immediately defects. He looks utterly bemused. Well at least the enemy has a face now, shame I happen to be on the same side and we’re going to go down bad.

At this point a crisis allows Mike to throw Starbuck in the Brig - well heck we don’t need a pilot when there’s no Cylon ships around so it’s as good a choice as any. Big Adam is then allowed to look at someone’s loyalty card and he looks at Mike’s. Intriguingly his Delphic utterances following on from this mean that he and Mike must be on the same side. I then realize that if I look at Big Adam’s loyalty cards using Baltar’s special I’ll either know they are both human or both Cylon (and I am beginning to suspect).

First Daniel has his go and reveals that he’s a Cylon - not certain why but it works quite well and the resource situation for food and fuel is looking grim.

I look at Big Adam’s cards and lo and behold he is a Cylon, so Mike must be too. Oooh, things are looking interesting.

Resources are starting to dribble away. We have a big crisis on my turn (nothing to do with me honest!) and Nigel uses William Adama’s power to pick up all the cards - he discards down to 10 but is still looking good.

Little Adam has his turn and bemoans the fact that he is still incarcerated in the brig. An idea occurs to me: No I can’t, and he’s my son. But sadly winning is more important for the old man than love of the offspring. "Ad if you play an executive orders card on me I will play the pardon card on you to spring you out of the Brig". This is not entirely a lie as I actually do have the pardon card. By sheer luck he has just drawn an exec orders he plays it.

Sadly I also have a card to throw someone into the Brig so I play that instead to send Patrick/Tyrol into the cooler, I then reveal my Cylon card which allows me to smack someone on the back of the head and send them to sickbay whilst losing half their hand. Well no prizes for guessing that Admiral Adama has just had a close encounter with something unpleasant. This leaves the only able-bodied crew at liberty as being Cylons. I hand the President card and Quorum hand to Big Adam and draw my supercrisis card.

Well I get another turn which is mildly interesting as Daniel has just spawned a huge Cylon fleet with his supercrisis and mine gets to make it act on steroids but the jig is up for the humans anyway as the fleet rapidly runs out of food.

So not the most edifying of games (I think the humans were on to a loser from the outset) but, as Mike put it: the look on Little Adam’s face as his daddy betrayed him alone was worth the game...

Now I have to go and read to him for the rest of the week to compensate.

Anyway not a very "gamey" write up but thought it was one to share.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Sulin
United States
Lombard
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
4 on 4 with a Cylon Symp. My Gods man do you hate the human race or something. For an 8 player game you should have had 3 cylons and a sympathizer. Any more and the Cylons have an easy win on there hands.

Just a note for the Future. The Pegasus expansion included rules for playing 7 players. Past 5 players and BSG tends to get very unwieldy but it can still be fun. All depends on the group you play with(and it sounds like you have a fun group)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Beck
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Felix alearum famis! Et posse impares sumus erimus en tui semper favoris.
badge
Proprietor of The Bored Gaymer, BGG's most popular blog with the words "Bored" and "Gaymer" in the title!
mbmbmbmbmb
^Lol, this. As soon as you said 4 Cylons in an 8 player game, I knew who was going to win ;-) Pretty harsh there.

And just an overly technical note: you win the game by jumping to Kobol; the sleeper phase comes at a certain distance, not by getting there =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl Ashing
United Kingdom
Barnet
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Guys, I am absolutely agree and that was what my opening comments about trusting Mike were all about! Still it didn't feel like the Cylons were going to win until fairly late in the day.

Yes, we're lucky with the group - we have a mixed bunch but the core seems to be thatwe all enjoy our games pretty much win or lose (although winning is always nice). Some of us have been gaming together for 30 years, which means all sorts of weirdness can happen which has nothing to do with THIS game and a lot to do with something that happened a long time ago...

Mike's actually a pretty sharp guy when it comes to tinkering with games and he's invented (but not yet published - I live in hope) more than a few. I think his eccentric grasp of probability was against him in this (he's a TV director). One thing I omitted was that his character had only one loyalty card as he'd forgotten to mix in enough extras - given that he was playing Sharon this would have been an issue if the rest of us had known what we were doing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ibeji
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea, I cocked-up big time in the Loyalty Card distribution. My only (pathetic) excuse is that I had 2 neos who are never reticent when it comes to badgering you with questions as you're trying to set up the game, and Darryl's 10-year-old son excitedly jabbering in my ear. So I was a bit distracted. I didn't even realise I had dealt the wrong cards until the Sleeper Agent Phase.

Still, I was right - you can play BSG with more than 6, and it was worth it just to see the look of stunned shock on poor young Adam's face. As my wife said when I told her: Darryl's probably scarred the poor kid for life.

Now I just need to perfect my solo rules for Android, and tweak the 7-player variant of Twilight Imperium and we're well away !o)

M<
(aka 'Mike')
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl Ashing
United Kingdom
Barnet
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's a parents job to scar the offspring, spares them getting any funny ideas about the world afterwards.

Mike just walk away you know you can do it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C-S
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Boy you're a cruel man.

FYI I'm 14 Daryl, though I act 8

And I was Apollo! For the win!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl Ashing
United Kingdom
Barnet
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dan

When you get to my age you will realise that one year means nothing at all.

Count yourself lucky I remembered who was sitting at the table let alone who they were playing.

Oh and there's two "r"s in Darryl

The important thing was we whipped human butt...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C-S
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One day I will learn how to spell your name, but for now, phonetic it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl Ashing
United Kingdom
Barnet
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
And whilst you're about it give me a thumbs up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.