5 Posts

Kingsburg: To Forge a Realm» Forums » Variants

Subject: Kingsburg Labor Market – Kingsburg Variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Gon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This a variant that uses the governor cards differently. This variant can be combined with any other module.

1.Do not distribute governor cards in the beginning of the game. You may want to exclude governors with starting conditions (e.g. Thief, Princess)

2. Place a number of governor cards equal to the number of players faceup near the board, this will be the labor market. Form a facedown deck with the remaining governor cards

3. In the beginning of every year all players receive 1 Gold.

4. In the end of Phase 1, using the current turn order. All players can hire one governor. When a player hires a governor the labor market is refilled with a governor from the pile. The cost for a governor card is 2 Gold.

5. Players use the governors they hire in a cumulative way i.e. they can benefit from the effects of all governors they control.

6. In the end of game add 1 VP to your score for each governor you control.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Ciscell
United States
Auburn
WA
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my game, Atlantis Rising! :)
mb
Overall, I like it! I'm all for using more governor powers

A couple questions:

1) Was it your intention that players would receive the free good of their choice in Phase I before being given the option to buy governors "at the beginning of" Year I? Or are players unable to purchase governors until Year II?

2) Any reason it costs gold specifically to buy governor cards? Why not just have them cost two resources of the player's choice?

3) Why the extra VP for each governor? I'd think using the governor's power would be reward enough

It might be cool to have a bidding mechanic as another alternative - in turn order players may bid or pass on each governor.

Very cool idea!

Galen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Chiarvesio
Italy
Torino
Piemonte
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting idea, indeed.

My suggestions:

Governors are hired with Victory Points instead of gold (or other resources).

A governor fee is 1 VP for every year of "employment". So, on Year I, governors will cost 5 VPoints, on year II 4 VPs etc...

You may want to remove the Noble and the Paladin from the Labor Market if they are not available on Year I. Otherwise, make them mandatory on Year I (this makes variety much lower, however).

Governors are hired starting with the player with less governors. If tied (like in Year I), use last turn order.

I'll give it a try one of those days!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Yes, players receive the good of their choice before buying the governors. This will give them the option of buying governors all years. The correct timing to hire governors is the end of phase 1. (I’ll edit the rules, thanks)

2) Gold is the easiest resource to obtain. 13 advisors can grant Gold, Lumber only 11 and Stone only 10 . There is also a majority of building that can grant you gold: Sawmill, Quarry, Merchant’s Guild, Crane. Another reason is simply thematic, Gold makes much more sense than paying 2 Stone to hire a governor.

3) Players that buy governor cards will probably fall behind in buildings in year 1 or 2 especially in games with 4 and 5 players. This is a way of compensating their loss of VPS during phase 3. It is also an incentive to buy some governor cards in late years. For example; I wouldn’t hire the Damsel in the beginning of year 5 (unless I had a pile of “+2” tokens) but I might consider it if for my 2 Gold I received 1 token and 1 VP. Overall I agree with you and I think that the governor’s power should be reward enough. However, as years go by, paying 2 Gold for most powers becomes an increasingly worst tradeoff.

gciscell wrote:

It might be cool to have a bidding mechanic as another alternative - in turn order players may bid or pass on each governor.

I thought about a bidding mechanism or a reward for unwanted governors. In my opinion this is a more intuitive way and it keeps the game’s fast pace, but a lot of ideas can be explored.

tanis wrote:

My suggestions:

A governor fee is 1 VP for every year of "employment". So, on Year I, governors will cost 5 VPoints, on year II 4 VPs etc...

You may want to remove the Noble and the Paladin from the Labor Market if they are not available on Year I. Otherwise, make them mandatory on Year I (this makes variety much lower, however).

Governors are hired starting with the player with less governors. If tied (like in Year I), use last turn order.

Thank you for your words, it’s a privilege coming from one of the designers. Your suggestion of using VPs instead of resources is great. It could also work with a fixed number of VPs or a VP bidding system. Your idea for the turn order for hiring governors also seems fairer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Ciscell
United States
Auburn
WA
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my game, Atlantis Rising! :)
mb
tanis wrote:

My suggestions:

Has anyone tried this variant?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.