Popular Tags: painting [+] [View All]
Pete Grey
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to make my guys look like the traditional "Aliens".

I know I plan on dipping them at the end. I've got walnut stain that I'm in process with my Terminators & will probably use that. Along with a matte overcoat.

But does anyone have advice on what the color palette would be to match the aliens and how to highlight, etc...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Watney
United Kingdom
Welwyn Garden City
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
um...black?

if you spray base them black, then either dip/give a gloss varnish, that'll do you nicely. apart from that what other colours were they?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Grey
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
greyish, blueish, brownish, blackish.

Trying to figure out how to make the colors pop out, though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go for a black stain instead of walnut, and then paint them a light color, like grey. Maybe lighter in certain section, as the black will darken it a lot.

Also, experiment. Try a few variants and see which you like best.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about a midnight blue basecoat and a black stain?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Murphy
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically, black with lighter highlights on the edges to give the model definition. I've seen some really good "Alien" tyranids before, but this is the only one I could find immediately. It's not bad, but I've seen some amazing ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hultgren
Sweden
flag msg tools
I would deffintly go for a glossy varnish instead of matt one if you want the real 'Aliens' look. Hmm, I would go for a bit darker then normal (for dipping that is) to get the right look and some light highlights instead before the dip. Normaly so are you supposed to use realy bright colors when dipping, with plain white being a good choise even. Then with the dip you get mid range colours. But as you want them to be fairly dark so could you basecoat with a midrange colour instead of the light one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Moffatt
Australia
Ipswich
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You probably won't need to dip if you plan on using the Alien colour scheme. Dips are normally used to pick up shading highlights on lighter colours quickly.

I would suggest spraying or painting the figures Chaos Black, then use a medium blue of your choice, drybrushed to pick out the details. Claws and teeth should be silver.

Definitely finish with a gloss varnish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyoko Steeple
United States
Columbia
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Link.

I used this as a model for posing the wings on my Hive Tyrant, but it looks like you might benefit from information about the painter's palette. He used three colors and one ink: Chaos Black, Codex Grey and Enchanted Blue, and a chestnut ink wash (this gives appropraite shading, but with a matte finish.) If you want to stick to that scheme but would prefer your bugs to have a glossy, chitinous look, I'd recommend swapping out the chestnut ink for MinWax Polyshades wood stain in a Walnut flavor. I recommend this avenue if you really want the blues and lighter greys to pop. On the other hand, if you're looking for really dark, black bugs, you might consider using a black stain for dipping instead. Believe me, those guys will be BLACK. Good luck, and post pictures!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

This is really weird but I have seen my nephew's friend SH and the GSs look dark blue compared with my nephew's GSs which are black.

I painted the GSs silver, too They look good when contrasted with the red/gold of the SMs.

The SMs are all glued on coins sprayed with gold metal paint and the GSs on coins with silver metal paint. Pity that some GSs had to have surgery using spues yep, so did a few of the SMs. Alas, they do not look as bad as they did before they were painted.

Anyone else who ended up with dark blue GSs ?

Regards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have one of th 1st ed Genestealers here and oddly its almost black instead of the dark blue most photos show them as.

As for a colour scheme for the bew ones. Use black for the head and arms and legs and a dark black-blue for the torso.

Or alternatively go with black for the while body and use a a dark shade of grey for features like joints, the underside of the jaw, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're going for all dark colors, then dipping probably isn't the best choice, as it's going to reduce the contrast between different colors. Just spray them in your base color and then drybrush the different areas appropriately. The result won't have quite the same smooth gradations you get on a dipped fig, but you won't be able to get that and keep the color contrast without doing a proper blending job, which would probably take much longer than you want to spend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This guy did a good job, and has details (paint and modeling) on how he set his figures up:

http://www.timkline.net/alienids/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some great examples and descriptions here, but I'd consider a base green-black, with a little dark green dry-brushing on the extremities, then dry-brush silver, then enough gloss acrylic sealer to make them look wet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
I have one of th 1st ed Genestealers here and oddly its almost black instead of the dark blue most photos show them as.

The Genestealers that came with my 1st Edition of Space Hulk are cast in a dark blue plastic. The ones that came with my set of Space Crusade are almost the same casting (the main body piece is the same, but the arms are a little different) and these are cast in a black plastic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Regan O\'Malley
msg tools
RedShark92 wrote:
This guy did a good job, and has details (paint and modeling) on how he set his figures up:

Yeah, that's what I followed when I painted my Stealers. I also greenstuffed the banana heads on - they look great next to my USCM squad.

"Let's rock!!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Grey
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RedShark92 wrote:

Mannnnnn, that is what I'm talking about. Those are very awesome. I wish there was a painting guide to get them exactly like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Regan O\'Malley
msg tools
Umm... there is.

http://www.timkline.net/alienids/index.html

It's not labeled as a painting guide, but it's in there. Just read through the first few paragraphs. It's VERY simple and fast. My latest batch are drying on my painting table as I type this - I started putting them together on Saturday, sculpted the heads on Sunday and painted them in a couple of evenings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pete lovatt
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Oh you know i'm doing my stealers in this style now, this is going to be awesome!
all i need now is some 40k imp guard that can double as USCM.
hey didn't GW get sued a while ago because of the genestealers resembling aliens in the first place?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Regan O\'Malley
msg tools
Check out the Future Wars range by Mark Copplestone - they're a pretty good fit and what I'm using for my Marines. Hasslefree minis also make Ripley and Newt. I had to convert Vasquez though, not easy to find a suitable figure for that. Might post pics of the unit sometime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Monson
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
For over 40 years I've been enjoying gaming with great people.
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a lot of good information here, but Wizkids produced a set of Aliens for their HorrorClix game.

The Alien figures look great and it may give you some ideas of colors.

I thought about doing this, by my only concern is that they would blend in against the board. I want my Genestealers to pop against the dark background.

Here is an Alien with some blood showing

(Edit to fix image links)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Grey
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, thanks to all for the ideas/advice. I ran an experiment with one of my Genestealers. Here is the fruit of my endeavors:

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not what you're looking for (i.e. it doesn't look like the Aliens) but I don't think it looks bad at all...

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hultgren
Sweden
flag msg tools
Yupp, looks nice. It looks like you dipped a white stealer, If you paint it in some mid gray, blue or brown colour then you should get it more like Aliens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Grey
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it was "Alien", the original where they were a little lighter. I wanted them a little lighter/brighter to add some contrast to the board and the Blood Angels.

This guy I sprayed white and hit highlights with grey and steel.

I would like the rest to be just a hair darker.

Maybe switch to ebony stain? (this was walnut)

Or maybe a 2nd coat?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.