Popular Tags: [View All]
Preston Fuller
United States
Ashland
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been on BGG for several years and I know most of the pirate games out there (and played several). What I want to know is, what is your favorite pirate game (pirate theme) and why? Don't worry about ratings and what other folks think, just tell me your favorite pirate game.

Thanks ahead of time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
Lords of the Spanish Main, by Phil Eklund.

GREAT game about the economics of trading and piracy in the age of the Spanish Galleons...Its essentially a 'sandbox' game- you create the world with the tools that the game gives you. Its up to you to find the best way through a world that is constantly changing.

Its a brutal game though- the economic model is great, but VERY strict- you don't get any 'free money' into the system. What happens is that as more people come to the Spanish Main, there is more OPPORTUNITY- but you gotta hustle for cash.

Great, great game. Can't recommend it highly enough.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:

GREAT game about the economics of trading and piracy in the age of the Spanish Galleons...Its essentially a 'sandbox' game- you create the world with the tools that the game gives you. Its up to you to find the best way through a world that is constantly changing.

Its a brutal game though- the economic model is great, but VERY strict- you don't get any 'free money' into the system. What happens is that as more people come to the Spanish Main, there is more OPPORTUNITY- but you gotta hustle for cash.

Darilian

How many players would you recommend for it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mona's Board Game Land c/o Lance Strohsahl
Japan
Takayama-shi
Gifu-ken
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose I shouldn't reply to this thread since the only pirate themed BG I ever owned and played was Blackbeard. Although I thought the game was entertaining in itself with the historical backgrounds and history of the real-life pirates that it provided, the gameplay was slow and very much not for everyone, as I remember. I still liked it but, then again, any game that invests some energy into giving a history lesson is a winner with me. I still play the PC game Sid Meier's PIRATES! from time to time, too. Love it! I'll keep a close eye on this thread. Argh! arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
Howitzer_120mm wrote:
Darilian wrote:

Darilian

How many players would you recommend for it?

I find its not the QUANTITY of players, its the QUALITY of players.

If your group is a bunch of people that have
-Serious AP problems
-Can't deal with random events beyond their control
-Aren't able to think about thier move when other people are doing their turn

(Or any combination of the above)
I would recommend 3 players. Otherwise, if you've got a lot of cool friends who 'get' the game, I recommend playing with the full Six.

But I find that my enjoyment is tied to the number of players, but whether or not the people playing 'get' the game.

(This is true for every game I play, I find....)

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cartagena, because it's the vastly underrated, worlds-most-perfect gateway game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Preston Fuller
United States
Ashland
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tommynomad wrote:
Cartagena, because it's the vastly underrated, worlds-most-perfect gateway game.

It is indeed underated and a fun game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swood
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played many pirate board games, but I have had much success with Plunder. The game play feels to me like Sid Meier's Pirates PC game. Plunder is better than it initially appears to be.

Unfortunately it's one of those games (like Betrayal at House on the Hill or Return of the Heroes) that requires a compilation of errata to make it work. But when it works, it is quite good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Allen
United States
Turlock
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Yes. I received the game as the result of winning a contest, but, Pirate King I have found is a fairly good little game. I had a copy of Dread Pirate collecting dust on the shelf and thought its components would compliment those of Pirate King (which are not bad by my standard). If you've got a spare copy of Dread Pirate-- pimping Pirate King is a great use for a game that otherwise wouldn't even make a good boat anchor.

Pirate King is a medium-light pirate game that doesn't take all night to play with fantastic art design (in my opinion). I've really wanted to review this game but have held back (for various and stupid reasons). Maybe it's time to get to work. I think it's gameplay is great for getting those non-gamers to sit down for a game that feels similar to something they know, yet, it makes for a much better gaming experience for all involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Needle
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Der schwarze Pirat is fun with kids and adults and you get to ram other boats and steal gold and...well it's just fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought old crusty guys didn't care what anybody else thinks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Jensen
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
badge
I was going to buy OverText but I didn't know what to say with it!
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Jamaica. It is somewhat pirate-y, it is fun to play and the artwork is great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Lloyd
United States
North Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy Pirate's Cove for some lite pirate-y fun, although I haven't played any others for comparison. Even more important for me, the wife likes it as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Kaiser's Pirates
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ned Leffingwell
United States
Ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pirateer

It's a nice little filler game with a bunch of variant rules that really add a lot of replayability. It's good for gamers and non-gamers alike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd have to go with Blackbeard.

While it may not be for everyone, my group has enjoyed it. A re-print of the AH version, the changes are an improvement over the original game. The game is still fun and helps provide that piratey feel. Game play is fairly fast and isn't that difficult to learn. In our case, it sees the table more often than the original...

Argghhh arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Roberts

Unspecified
msg tools
Swashbuckler for boardgames
Under the Black Flag: Swashbuckling Action on the High Seas for miniatures
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Derk appears from the mists...
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The OP's right. I do wanna know your favorite pirate games... arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got to go with Winds of Plunder. It's got a wonky set of rules that manage to capture the theme amazingly well. Plus it's very cut throat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is only one true pirate game: Blackbeard

And not that errata'd to hell and back, living rules nightmare from a couple years ago. I am talking the O.G. Blackbeard.

Plays well with 1-3 players. I haven't tried 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dead Man's Island

This is a fast, light little pirate game for 2-4 players.

See my review for full details:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/427796

arrrharrrharrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
Swashbuckler

Ancient now, but still one of my all-time favorites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Newell
Canada
Prince George
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I gotta go with Rum & Pirates.

I haven't played that many but Rum & Pirates has been a lot of fun. Some nice strategy, thrown in with some push your luck elements and a bit of luck in dice rolls.

Plus it has RUM in the title. Gotta have RUM if you are talkin about pirates!

I would give a second nod to Cartagena, but it is fairly simple yet great for a gateway game. I would also put a nod in the direction of Pirate King as it is kind of fun, especially with the variants provided by the designer. And it's got some cool bits that come with the game and designer also helped with modding the game by providing a template for stickers to put on the flags:

But my first vote goes to Rum & Pirates. Plus for $1.50CDN (at Michael's) each you can get some cool treasure chests to use in the game:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
There's nothing better: Lords of the Spanish Main
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Drucker
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
MOAR GAMES
badge
Damn Dirty Ape I Love You
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
There's nothing better: Lords of the Spanish Main

There don't seem to be any reviews of this game and it's the second time it's been recommended. I have played pirate king, although not with the cutthroat rules (which look like they will make the game a lot more fun) and I have the new Blackbeard sitting there taunting me, waiting for the rules to be read, but this game looks really interesting. I guess if I'm looking for an interesting game, J.C. is the expert. If I'm looking for a game I think will be fun for the people I play with, I may need some more information.

Can someone post a review of this game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.