United States
Wauwatosa
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Love live the Empress!
badge
For the Motherland!
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I download Rails, which is a Java program for 18xx games, and I got the impression this was for on-line play, similar to Vassal. And yet I can find no way to connect to a network to do so. Am I incorrect in assuming this is how it works?

If not, is there an on-line live (not PBEM) play of this game? Vassal doesn't support it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim b
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
-
Rails works reasonably well for pbem (better than Vassal, imho), but it doesn't support interactive/real-time sessions over the internet - it has no networking support, at all.

There seem to be placeholders for adding AI players and other stuff, but that's it. (I think it's a community/open-source effort.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Rails is explicitly designed for hot-seat play: multiple players taking turns to sit at the same computer and to thus enter their moves. It can be used for online play, PBeM-style, by emailing Rails' save-files about.

There are no applications currently available which support even semi-realtime multiplayer 18xx games.

The normal systems used for online 18xx play are:

- ps18xx
- VASSAL
- Cyberboard
- Rails

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played an 1856 by email a while back. Used Cyberboard and a google docs spreadsheet. Since the google docs spreadsheet has a chat option, it was far more like a real time game than Pbem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim b
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
clearclaw wrote:
There are no applications currently available which support even semi-realtime multiplayer 18xx games.

Do you really mean this? You mentioned vassal and cyberboard:

Vassal supports a lot of 18xx scenarios, and - as I understand it - certainly supports networked, interactive, real-time sessions.

Vassal is essentially a dumb board with interactive session management: while it doesn't understand game semantics (which Rails does, typically), it does support networked real-time sessions throughout (which Rails doesn't).

I have to admit I've not actually done this with 18xx vassal modules (I've just run through some of the games at my desktop), but I have with a good number of other vassal games. (I think some 18xx'ers use another spreadsheet, in tandem with vassal - dunno the best-practices. I thought the same was true for cyberboard, but more so - I thought cyberboard supports hotseat game play, interactive networked sessions, and some moderation of the rules in play - but, cyberboard doesn't work natively on a Mac, so I haven't been able to use it to verify this.)

(I tried to load the ps18xx stuff, that looks great. Unfortunately, the same cretins are at play - Mac Preview doesn't seem to like that ps18xx postscript, and I've had really poor experiences with the ghostscript drivers on the mac, in turn.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron K
United States
jamesville
New York
flag msg tools
'80' maxlength='250'> </td> </tr> <tr> <td width="15%" align="right"><b>Avatar OverText</b></td> <td width="85%"> <input type="text" name="overtext[avatar]" value="Train Game anyone?
badge
Train Game anyone?
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:

See ZunTzu ( http://www.zuntzu.com ).

1851 can be found there. While this isn't an automated version, it certainly enables realtime multiplayer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim b
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
RaDiKal wrote:
See ZunTzu ( http://www.zuntzu.com ). 1851 can be found there. While this isn't an automated version, it certainly enables realtime multiplayer.

Is this link correct? I found strippers, electronics, oscillators, beautiful russian girls, and some unholy hybrid of these, 'preci-dip'.

PS. Ah, the leading z is significant! (I think I just followed the link both times, though.. so watch your back, gentlemen.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron K
United States
jamesville
New York
flag msg tools
'80' maxlength='250'> </td> </tr> <tr> <td width="15%" align="right"><b>Avatar OverText</b></td> <td width="85%"> <input type="text" name="overtext[avatar]" value="Train Game anyone?
badge
Train Game anyone?
mbmbmbmbmb
jimb wrote:
RaDiKal wrote:
See ZunTzu ( http://www.zuntzu.com ). 1851 can be found there. While this isn't an automated version, it certainly enables realtime multiplayer.

Is this link correct? I found strippers, electronics, oscillators, beautiful russian girls, and some unholy hybrid of these, 'preci-dip'.

PS. Ah, the leading z is significant! (I think I just followed the link both times, though.. so watch your back, gentlemen.)

That's what happens when one types URL's from memory without checking them out first. You snuck in while I was verifying the address. Sorry about that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played online real-time with Vassal-only (painful, moving money chips just isn't worth the time and effort) and with Vassal+TeamSpeak+GoogleDocs. The latter option worked just fine and was quite enjoyable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Noe
United States
Wauwatosa
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Love live the Empress!
badge
For the Motherland!
mbmbmbmbmb
TheCat wrote:
I've played online real-time with Vassal-only (painful, moving money chips just isn't worth the time and effort) and with Vassal+TeamSpeak+GoogleDocs. The latter option worked just fine and was quite enjoyable.

Did you do this playing 1830, or another game? Can Vassal support "generic" 18xx games that can be done / made by a host?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Easier to make a cyberboard gamebox than to make a Vassal mod IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheevers
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm playing a couple of 18xx games at the moment via Rails. 'jimb' had the great idea of using DropBox.

It requires that you install a small client in your system tray but essentially acts as a gateway to a virtual fileserver that everyone you invite has access too.

It's been working very well.

Rails too is good but we've found the odd bug. For instance, one player tried to trade their M&H private for a NYC share but it wouldn't allow them. Has anyone else seen this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
schuwa wrote:
Did you do this playing 1830, or another game? Can Vassal support "generic" 18xx games that can be done / made by a host?

I did it with 18Scan. I know there are Vassal mods for 1830, 1870 and other mass produced games, but the author of the mods limits distribution due to copyright concerns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
solove wrote:
Rails too is good but we've found the odd bug. For instance, one player tried to trade their M&H private for a NYC share but it wouldn't allow them. Has anyone else seen this?

I've played 18EU with Rails and as a beta product it does have occasional bugs. The developers are quick to fix most reported bugs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim b
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
TheCat wrote:
solove wrote:

I've played 18EU with Rails and as a beta product it does have occasional bugs. The developers are quick to fix most reported bugs.

I notice that Erik V just fixed this bug (about 48 hours after I filed it anonymously to the project page). That's very timely, nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.