Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Lam
Hong Kong
Kowloon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played this game before but I found this one might be interesting to play with.
I decided to buy one, do you guys have any recommendations?
How about the pros & cons of each one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up the Big Box and actually regret it.

The basic game plus the The Vizier's Favor are really (IMO) all you need for the best Alhambra experience. The other expansions are interesting but seem to just over complicate the game without actually making it any more fun (again IMO).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manisha DS
Canada
North York
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have the basic game and will be buying one set of expansions in the future. We like having more space on the table to make our cities so we opted out of the Anniversary edition which has a very large board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing the base game for ages and have never felt the need for any expansions.
If you have the money to burn, the gold box with the nice bits is pretty sweet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Beale-C
msg tools
upozhk wrote:
How about the pros & cons of each one?

I only have the base edition.

It's a great game. I (and the rest of the people I play with) had some initial trouble remembering that green money buys the tile on the green space in the market, it doesn't buy the green tile.

BLUE
RED
It was a bit like those brain training tests that ask you to say the colour, not read the word.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Lam
Hong Kong
Kowloon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all!
I've read the review from DiceTower and do think not all the expansion is necessary.
The component of the anniversaty set does look great, but I wonder if the parts don't go well with other expansion.
Or is there no difference in gameplay from the original and the annivesary version?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl Boone
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Reading your recent posts has been like dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the components are 100% compatible, indeed the gold edition is in a big box in part to accommodate future expansions. From my understanding, gameplay is identical -- it's just a deluxe edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I won't persuade you to get the Big Box if you seem reluctant to go into all the expansions. However, starting out new, the Base Game + any ONE expansion should be about the same price as the Big Box with ALL expansions.

So I find it hard to regreat a purchase if you even like one expansion to literally spend about a dollar per expansion more to have the whole thing. That fact is hard to pass up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Foster
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Quote:
So I find it hard to regret a purchase if you even like one expansion to literally spend about a dollar per expansion more to have the whole thing. That fact is hard to pass up.

I agree with Brian. I just bought the Big Box and am very pleased that I made this decision. Earlier this year, I traded another game for the Alhambra base game. A few months later the Big Box came out, so I traded the base for several other games and bought the Big Box!

That's a roundabout way of getting it, but as they say in Hawaii,
"Mo Choices, mo bettah." You certainly get lots of choices with the Big Box, so what's not to like?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon Morris
Canada
Fergus
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We bought the Big Box despite already owning the base game. I was planning on getting an expansion pack or two anyway and the Big Box was just such a good bargain.

I can't guarantee you won't regret it but I know we don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Oakland
Australia
Inman Valley
SA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
...starting out new, the Base Game + any ONE expansion should be about the same price as the Big Box with ALL expansions.

Wow. In Australia, base set plus 2 expansions still doesn't quite equal price of Big Box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'd totally recommend the Big Box. I find the base game fairly boring, but the expansions add not only flavor, but as much variety as you could ever want. Remember that the Big Box comes with 5 expansions--but each "expansion" contains 4 interchangeable modules. So really, it's like you're getting 20 expansions, allowing (if I've done my math right) 1,048,576 different module combinations. I almost wish I didn't already have the base game + 1 expansion, just so I could buy the Big Box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I can still buy the Big Box. It's cheaper than buying the 4 individual expansions I'm missing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Gerace
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I owned the anniversary edition and actually did not like it. I felt as if the board detracted from the game more than anything. The wooden fountains are cute but I don't think the components in the anniversary edition justify the price. Therefore, I would recommend either the Base itself or the Big Box. I haven't played with any expansions, and still have not tired of the game after 20+ plays. The base is very re-playable, and the expansions will definitely change the way the base game is played. Thus, you could buy two games for the price of the Big Box, which is probably what I would do if I could do it all again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leber
Canada
Orillia
ON
flag msg tools
Yin
badge
Yang
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this topic is a little old, but I had to add my 2 cents.

Unless you completely hate the ideas of expansions in general, I think you're crazy to buy anything but the Big Box simply from an economics standpoint.

The Base game is $40, and all 5 expansion run about $25 each. That's $165....

The Big Box sells for just $79.99 at most places.

I actually already had the base game, and it was STILL a much better value for me to just buy the big box and give the base game to a friend (or keep it for spare parts)....

If you think you might remotely like even ONE out of the five expansions, it's a better value.

Thanks my 2 cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon Morris
Canada
Fergus
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Holmes108 wrote:

Agreed. We even bought our Big Box at our FLGS for $63 CND (plus taxes of course). Just like you, we had the base game already as well but it still made sense to get the Big Box instead of a couple expansions alone.

The advantage to already having the base game was that we knew we liked the game before buying the full set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leber
Canada
Orillia
ON
flag msg tools
Yin
badge
Yang
mbmbmbmbmb
Hugin wrote:
Holmes108 wrote:

Agreed. We even bought our Big Box at our FLGS for $63 CND (plus taxes of course). Just like you, we had the base game already as well but it still made sense to get the Big Box instead of a couple expansions alone.

The advantage to already having the base game was that we knew we liked the game before buying the full set.

Right. PLUS the additional bonus of having one nice big box with an organized insert, instead of 6 boxes, or having to make my own.

That may not matter as much to some people, but it was a pretty nice selling factor to me as well. Especially because game night for me rotates between a few houses. And I, being the owner of all the games, have to lug it all around
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'rett B
United States
Stuttgart
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have owned the base game for a year and just bought the Big Box for $46.95 from Cardhaus plus S&H (took some of the bite out of the shipping cost by ordering Carcassone Big Box, Dominion and Pandemic at the same time). I'll stupidly give the base set to my 20 yr. old daughter, who already beats the living crap out of us when she visits.
Most of our games are 2 to 3 person affairs, so I got the expansions for kicking in a change every so often; however, my read of the expansion rules would lead me to believe the modules could be very useful with more players. Price of Big Box is hard to beat if you know you like the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.