Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of my actual boardgaming is done solo. I get most of my competitive play using vassal (and mostly by pbem... which is perfect for PoG)

I have heard many denegrating opinions about solo boardgaming... mostly from those who don't even try it. What is the point? For me, gaming is about having an enjoyable (preferably richly thematic) experience. I genuinely couldn't care less about winning or losing, though if I AM playing an opponent I'd sooner NOT win or lose easily.

How is it possible to play both sides objectively? Well, some games are easier than others, true. Card Driven Games (CDG's) I find to be easiest of all as they focus your attention on a limited range of possibilities whilst still offering the choices that make gaming fun.

Having played solo gaming for some time, I found it get easier and easier to ignore what you know about 'the other side', focussing purely on what is in front of you. I have found the hardest games to play solo are those with hidden units, unless the game includes solo rules to deal with this.

Hey... I thought this was supposed to be about PoG?... You're right, but I just wanted to set a background for solo PoG and to encourage those who MIGHT be tempted to try it.

So.... full game, Guns of August in play.

Western front is always tricky. If both players accept a de facto stalemate, the result can often be decided in the Near East and Italy. That may be a problem for some history buffs (I am one), but personally it doesn't bother me as long as that isn't the DEFAULT gameplay.

Both sides want to be at war status 4 by the end of turn 2 if possible so as to advance to Limited War sooner rather than later.

CP keeps pressure on Western front, eventually taking Brussels and Antwerp, but cannot make further progress. But both sides kept probing, sometimes prodded by MO's (mandatory offences). These are an excellent feature of gameplay.

AP gets RU Cau army to near east as soon as possible and makes progress westwards through Turkey on a broad front, but CP gets Bulgarian corps into western Turkey as soon as possible and manages to hold the line. MEF is not played until very late in the game, and by then Sinai pipeline and Allenby have been played, rolling up southwestern Turkey for the allies.

The Eastern front swings backwards and forwards, the Tsar eventually falls, but game ends just before CP can trigger the Bolshevik revolution.

Serbia is a thorn in the side of CP for longer than usual, which ties up forces it would sooner have elsewhere, further exasabated by the entry of the French Orient army.

AP manages to fortress Northern Italy with British and French troops, but can't advance into Southern Germany from there.

American troops start to enter late in the game (no surprise there

With the Victory marker on 5, turn 19 begins with combined war status on 38. AP has MEF and Salonika in his hand and plays MEF followed by Salonika in his first 2 action rounds. This adds 2 to the combined war status, forcing an armistice and taking a victory.

Man I love this game.

It was ALMOST as much fun as playing an opponent. If this game is just sitting on your shelf, unplayed for want of an opponent, you are missing a trick !!

I am also currently playing my 12th consecutive vassal pbem game of PoG against one opponent, and my first against another opponent.

Get your PoG out !!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gotthard Heinrici (prev. Graf Strachwitz)
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like playing solo too and I do not have any problems with potentially biased moves becuase you know. FtF is great, solo is a great alternative.

Have you played Pursuit of Glory yet?! This one is fantastic. A step up but absolutely manageable and has an unsurpassed feel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Harae wrote:
I like playing solo too and I do not have any problems with potentially biased moves becuase you know. FtF is great, solo is a great alternative.

Have you played Pursuit of Glory yet?! This one is fantastic. A step up but absolutely manageable and has an unsurpassed feel.

My wife has hidden Pursuit of Glory somewhere and I expect it to appear at Christmas

I also have WW2 Barbarossa to Berlin and Unhappy King Charles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Candy Apple
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
Solitaire PoG is a lot of fun, except the Kemal card is so critical to the CP defense in the Near East. How do you handle attacks by the AP when you know Kemal is not in the CP hand but it could be (i.e., it's not in the discard pile)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing as CP, I keep that card in my hand as a pemanent threat to the allies, even though it ties up a card position. It is both a deterrent and a defence.

Playing as AP,it depends on my force disposition. If I'm not really ready to attack, I force CP to waste a card position by holding on to it. IF CP is daft enough to use it as OPs, SR or RP, I start attacking with RU Cau army to get as many attacks in as possible before he can recycle it into his hand.

Generally I try and SR an extra 2 BR corps into Basra (over 2 action rounds) and start attacking Southeast Turkey from there BEFORE attacking with RU Cau army, so that CP can't concentrate solely on trying to block the advance of the RU Cau army.

Don't worry TOO much about the RU Cau army taking a step loss if it gives you a tactical advantage, it's almost certain to happen sometime. After that, try and never attack anything with it that can inflict 2LF. Use BR corps as your main attack threat after that, using The RU Cau (supported by RU corps) as a threat to keep CP honest in its defense.

hope this helps

Phil.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Gillam
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil

Why not play via ACTS http://acts.warhorsesim.com/index.asp

Then you could play other like minded chaps (myself included!) at your leisure!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Derek999950 wrote:
Phil

Why not play via ACTS http://acts.warhorsesim.com/index.asp

Then you could play other like minded chaps (myself included!) at your leisure!

I don't know ACTS (though I've heard of it).

What is wrong with Vassal? It plays pbem or online perfectly. Why don't you try it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmb
Thanks to internet, I never play solo anymore
(unless to learn the game)

I used ACTS when the VASSAL PoG wasn't build yet I believe. I've been checking that one out last week, looks promising indeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
_Kael_ wrote:

I used ACTS when the VASSAL PoG wasn't build yet I believe. I've been checking that one out last week, looks promising indeed.

Ah but there's nothing like pushing those armies around the map

Why does it need to be either/or. I do BOTH
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmb
philmcd wrote:
_Kael_ wrote:

Ah but there's nothing like pushing those armies around the map

Why does it need to be either/or. I do BOTH
I love pushing counters too!
So I do both too: play pbem and FtF

mind you: FtF takes patience and years of training newbies. Or be very lucky and find a regular opponent. Or both

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.