Luis Diaz
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm new to the gaming world and have picked it up as my newest hobby. I've spent I don't know how much money on some awesome games I never knew existed. My gaming horizons have been broadened and I feel compelled to share my new vision w/ the rest of my friends. So the best way I do that is by introducing Ticket to Ride. At first, they're put off a little by the train theme but after the game gets rolling they're hooked. I tried this on a group of friends the other day and they loved it. I mean, they don't want to play any other game but this! I love the game but my limit was three Europe games in a row. And then after the 3 europe games they wanted to play U.S. again!

I'm glad I have new people to play TTR with but I wish I had a more open-minded group to play with. I have San Juan, Last Night on Earth, and Pandemic just sitting there collecting dust and noone willing to play it. It seems the gateway gate has been smashed shut in my face. (sigh) I'll have to keep trying though. Wish me luck fellow geeks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb

Patience grasshopper...

(Congrats on having a group that wants to play anything cardboard.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
norman rule
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, there's a whole world of train themed games you could use to diversify their interest.

Or something like Thurn and Taxis with a similar mechanics, but a different feel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Knauer
United States
Heathrow
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thurn and Taxis is a good suggestion.

Also, Railways of the World/Railways of Europe are meatier games that might resonate with Ticket to Ride fans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Dove
United States
Easton
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Go for Stone Age, but whatever you do don't tell them they can play TTR on-line or you will never see them again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Brinks
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DoveBar wrote:
Go for Stone Age, but whatever you do don't tell them they can play TTR on-line or you will never see them again.

I'd have to disagree- tell them about TTR online so that they play it online and get sick of it. Then they'll be ready for the other games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
You need to look for a gaming group in your area that are not really your friends, but others who love gaming. That way you can continue to expand your horizons in gaming and still play TTR with your REAL friends.

Who knows, after you explain how much fun you had playing games with your weekly game group they may be compelled to play some different types of games with you.

That's what I did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Diaz
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jjloc wrote:
You need to look for a gaming group in your area that are not really your friends, but others who love gaming. That way you can continue to expand your horizons in gaming and still play TTR with your REAL friends.

Who knows, after you explain how much fun you had playing games with your weekly game group they may be compelled to play some different types of games with you.

That's what I did.

That sounds like a good idea. I don't think I'm gonna get anywhere with my group unfortunately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Dicorato
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm having this same problem with Dominion, in a way. It seems that every game night they always want to play this game and nothing else. Now, I'm not as bad off as you are because they are willing to try new games, but it's difficult. All my friends appear to have ADD and do not like longer games, where as that's what I prefer. I don't mind playing different games in one night. But I prefer to play a game like TI3, Starcraft, Battlestar Galactica, or something like that all night and save the shorter games for times when we don't have as much time to play.

Well in any case, it got so bad that I told them we're no longer playing Dominion because I personally am starting to get bored of the game due to the amount of times we've played it. If I were to log all my plays on here, I would probably have 200+ plays in the two months I've had the game.

So yeah, I would advise trying this. Tell them that you're not playing TTR because you are starting to get bored of it and you want to play other games to remedy this. Hell, that's the point of owning so many games is to keep you from getting bored of the same game being played over and over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds similar to my situation when I first got back into gaming a couple years ago. I picked up two games...Killer Bunnies and the Quest for the Magic Carrot and Cave Troll. My group loved Killer Bunnies so much that it was all we played for months! Needless to say I was burnt out on the game very quickly.

I continued to buy new games but only my girlfriend would try the new ones with me. So while I had a rapidly growing collection of games I had many that worked only with 3 and there was nobody to play them with. Eventually I busted out Jamaica and that was a huge hit. Unfortunately it also become something we played night after night (usually with Killer Bunnies). Then a strange thing happened. I noticed that we began meeting weekly for boardgames and even though we would play Killer Bunnies or Jamaica they were open to trying new games. So basically I would bring a new game to try out and then afterwards we go back to playing something I knew everyone liked.

Now we play pretty much everything and while I still play Killer Bunnies and Jamaica it's usually only when we have a new person to the group. Otherwise I just bring a small slice of my collection and let everyone pick what looks like fun.

Perhaps the best moment was when I went to Ireland about a month ago. My little group was going to have to go two weeks without boardgames (since I was the supplier of all of the games). When I came back I had found out that they could only go a week without gaming. One of the other members had made a big purchase at Coolstuffinc.com! I was very surprised but extremely delighted at the same time.

So while it may take a while you can begin to introduce different games to your group. Just do it slowly and always fall back on something they like.

Good luck!

~ Bones
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Philipp
United States
Muskego
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Norman's Thurn and Taxis is a great idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Diaz
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BonesJackson wrote:
Sounds similar to my situation when I first got back into gaming a couple years ago. I picked up two games...Killer Bunnies and the Quest for the Magic Carrot and Cave Troll. My group loved Killer Bunnies so much that it was all we played for months! Needless to say I was burnt out on the game very quickly.

I continued to buy new games but only my girlfriend would try the new ones with me. So while I had a rapidly growing collection of games I had many that worked only with 3 and there was nobody to play them with. Eventually I busted out Jamaica and that was a huge hit. Unfortunately it also become something we played night after night (usually with Killer Bunnies). Then a strange thing happened. I noticed that we began meeting weekly for boardgames and even though we would play Killer Bunnies or Jamaica they were open to trying new games. So basically I would bring a new game to try out and then afterwards we go back to playing something I knew everyone liked.

Now we play pretty much everything and while I still play Killer Bunnies and Jamaica it's usually only when we have a new person to the group. Otherwise I just bring a small slice of my collection and let everyone pick what looks like fun.

Perhaps the best moment was when I went to Ireland about a month ago. My little group was going to have to go two weeks without boardgames (since I was the supplier of all of the games). When I came back I had found out that they could only go a week without gaming. One of the other members had made a big purchase at Coolstuffinc.com! I was very surprised but extremely delighted at the same time.

So while it may take a while you can begin to introduce different games to your group. Just do it slowly and always fall back on something they like.

Good luck!

~ Bones

I actually play as the game keeper also. Well, the problem lies only w/ one group of friends that I just started playing w/. The other group is more open if only a little bit. The newer group loved TTR so much they actually bought it so maybe they'll burn themselves out playing it so I can bring around some new ones. I'm hoping at least! Thanks for the input. Happy gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Diaz
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrorwell wrote:
Well, there's a whole world of train themed games you could use to diversify their interest.

Or something like Thurn and Taxis with a similar mechanics, but a different feel.

Looked into it and I think they would like this. Thanks for the suggestion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Cormier
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a similar sort of problem but it stems more from not playing games all the time or as part of a regularly scheduled event. It seems I'm only ever playing Settlers or Pandemic and while I'm a bit burned out on them I'm still happy to play with my friends. The simple fact is, we all like what we know - it's sort of why we tend to use the same toothpaste all our lives when there are plenty to choose from.

Like everyone's said, just give it a bit of time. Try starting them out with a new game, or have a new one set up when they arrive. Pandemic won't be a big stretch for them - especially if you've only got a group of four people.

You could always try starting with a filler like No Thanks or For Sale. Anything that helps bring in a new game is probably good. Just let them know you'd like to try something else - they were happy to learn this one, so another shouldn't be too tough. I know it's a tough balance to strike between feeling like you're bullying them to play new games and being a gratious host, but gentle prodding works. If not, you could try cattle prodding but they may be less responsive to gameplay afterwards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rami Finkelshtein
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Just another day on the staircase
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this whole thing ties with Gamers into Friends vs Friends into Gamers

Yea my friends are usually quite excited to play new games but the second I bring something out its the usual "i'm busy" or "is this going to take long?" so naturally I looked outside my friends for a game group which helps me get the gamer games and longer stuff and random nerdy games out of my system before coming back to friends and playing some of my lighter favorites...its really a balance thing.

Also I am the keeper of the games as well...in fact one of my friends said there is no point of him buying games because he can just find me and I can let him play my copy. shake

This might take a little work to get my friends together as a gaming group...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Beale-C
msg tools
Put TTR (in the box) on the table. Say "We'll play this tonight, but first let's try ..." and bust out the new game.

Maybe first time you try this use a really light filler. Then they won't be expecting Le Havre next week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Diaz
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joncormier wrote:
I have a similar sort of problem but it stems more from not playing games all the time or as part of a regularly scheduled event. It seems I'm only ever playing Settlers or Pandemic and while I'm a bit burned out on them I'm still happy to play with my friends. The simple fact is, we all like what we know - it's sort of why we tend to use the same toothpaste all our lives when there are plenty to choose from.

Like everyone's said, just give it a bit of time. Try starting them out with a new game, or have a new one set up when they arrive. Pandemic won't be a big stretch for them - especially if you've only got a group of four people.

You could always try starting with a filler like No Thanks or For Sale. Anything that helps bring in a new game is probably good. Just let them know you'd like to try something else - they were happy to learn this one, so another shouldn't be too tough. I know it's a tough balance to strike between feeling like you're bullying them to play new games and being a gratious host, but gentle prodding works. If not, you could try cattle prodding but they may be less responsive to gameplay afterwards.

Very well put. I guess I shouldn't be so quick to give up then. I'll be giving Pandemic a shot then. Wish me luck! Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Philipp
United States
Muskego
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried the gold standard namecalling, belittling them, and insulting their manhood?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nomadic Gamer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are not really friends...laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't worry too much. TTR has a pretty steep replayability drop-off.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
It's just drawing cards...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Vance
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
havoc110 wrote:
It's just drawing cards...

You're not doing it right. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Philipp
United States
Muskego
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could always eat a metric ton of egg salad every time before you play TtR and during the game when they ask "WTF?" you can be like "I've developed this intolerance to TtR and this is what happens. Hey is it my turn already?!?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have stopped going to certain groups b/c of this, or on long hiatuses from them b/c they typically just played the same types of games over and over again.

Many of them only did party games, or stuff like 12 player Killer Bunnies with nearly all the expansions. That itself wasn't THAT bad, but combine with a 1 hour drive to that place sealed the deal. Only so much you can do on a Saturday.
Then there's another group that plays soo much TransAmerica, Parchesi, party games, dice games, and parlor games. They more or less are the same games in rotation. While I don't think it's fair to make them sit through a whole game of Battlestar Galactica or Settlers Of Catan if they just can't stand it, I still need to keep my sanity, so I've been skipping more than a month's of gaming there. I gotta admit, it has been nice to regain all of the free time.

My advice is to try to find some other groups with your gaming intersets. Easier said than done in some places, but in the end, if they're not intersted, then there's only so much you can do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius Roth
Germany
Wistedt
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You said that you also own "Pandemic". If you might get your friends to play it, you might encounter the same problem you described in your initial post.

I have seen many games of "Pandemic" as a game instructor for the german publisher, and most players who tested the game either:

1. lost the game, and immideatly wanted to play it again to win the game, especially, if they nearly beat the game
2. won the game and immideatly wanted to try it with another combination of roles and/or a higher difficulty.

From all those people playing the game, I think just about 2% didn't like the game. The rest was enthralled by the games theme and mechanics and played it several rounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Philipp
United States
Muskego
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
I have stopped going to certain groups b/c of this, or on long hiatuses from them b/c they typically just played the same types of games over and over again.

Many of them only did party games, or stuff like 12 player Killer Bunnies with nearly all the expansions. That itself wasn't THAT bad, but combine with a 1 hour drive to that place sealed the deal. Only so much you can do on a Saturday.
Then there's another group that plays soo much TransAmerica, Parchesi, party games, dice games, and parlor games. They more or less are the same games in rotation. While I don't think it's fair to make them sit through a whole game of Battlestar Galactica or Settlers Of Catan if they just can't stand it, I still need to keep my sanity, so I've been skipping more than a month's of gaming there. I gotta admit, it has been nice to regain all of the free time.

My advice is to try to find some other groups with your gaming intersets. Easier said than done in some places, but in the end, if they're not intersted, then there's only so much you can do.

Best post yet. Please cut-paste into every "How do I get my wife to game" thread as well.........

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.