Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone else had problems trying to make custom Descent maps? I'm using Descentedit. I often like trying to make areas that offer multiple paths between areas. But paths never connect. If I try to build two paths to the same area, one of them is invariably 1 space off from the other - and without a one space tile there's no way to connect them!

I guess its due to the widely varying size of the tiles? I've never had problems like this with any other tile system (Space Hulk, for example). Am I doing something wrong? Are there good tips to avoid this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Thomas
United States
Findlay
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tomb of Ice does have 1x2 tile pieces, so that might help you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Swapping between L and T pieces can help with this; L pieces have two spaces of corridor off each leg, while T spaces have two on the center leg but only one on each of the sides, so swapping one for the other can give you one space more or less before a turn, and help you with alignment issues. Rotating a 4x6 room can have a similar effect.

Also, as Cube said, Tomb of Ice does have a bunch of useful pieces. 1x2 corridors, 3x2 corridors, L-shaped corners with shorter legs, 2x2 "rooms" with connectors on all sides, and a variety of 4x4 rooms with the doors in different positions along the walls. Unfortunately, with avianfoo's "WART" tileset pulled, there's currently no editor I know of with support for ToI tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emivaldo Sousa
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Avianfoo tileset was pulled? What happened? wow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After some more analysis, its either the L or T pieces that cause the problems; I put one in and all of a sudden the whole dungeon is out of whack! For some reason my brain just isn't handling which ones cause the trouble.

The 1x2 tile pieces would be helpful...but I'm not buying any more expansions unless I decide the game is worth playing again which I'm still up in the air about.

The editor hasn't been updated with later sets though? That really takes down the appeal of getting later sets

Thanks for the advice thus far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herc du Preez
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
zinho73 wrote:
Avianfoo tileset was pulled? What happened? :wow:

Its down but not out...just have to make it comply to all FFG rules...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.