Manchuwok
Canada
Mission
BC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have been finding this game to be quite dull as we have played more and more different games. Is Alhambra worth redeeming by adding in the expansions. I hear that City Gates is one of the best to add, but will it increase our fun?

Did anybody feel the same way about the base game, but then love the game with the expansions added in?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon Morris
Canada
Fergus
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well honestly, once I figured that I would get an expansion or two, we just decided to get the Big Box. Now I'm not saying get the Big Box, but being able to insert variable modules really refreshes the game since most of them add another element that affects decision making.

However, it's best if you only add 1-3 modules (2 being best IMO) for any one game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manchuwok
Canada
Mission
BC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hugin wrote:
being able to insert variable modules really refreshes the game

I don't think I want the Big Box, because I don't think I like this game enough to spend that much on it to make it better. But if one expansion significantly improves the play, I might go for it. If I do, I'll keep in mind your suggestion for not adding in too many new modules at once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Crispin
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not think any of the expansions are essential to play. If the base game does not do it for you then I do not think they will help. If you like the game but it has become a little stale then some of the expansions can freshen up the game but you need to pick and choose because some of them are not very useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manchuwok
Canada
Mission
BC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wwscrispin wrote:
If you like the game but it has become a little stale then some of the expansions can freshen up the game but you need to pick and choose because some of them are not very useful.

I do like the game some, but it has become a little stale because it seems like there is not really much to do. I also find that it's hard to really employ strategy when playing with bigger groups.

Maybe an expansion could remedy my first gripe, but what about the second?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Knauer
United States
Heathrow
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
manchuwok wrote:
We have been finding this game to be quite dull as we have played more and more different games. Is Alhambra worth redeeming by adding in the expansions. I hear that City Gates is one of the best to add, but will it increase our fun?

Did anybody feel the same way about the base game, but then love the game with the expansions added in?

I share the same thoughts as you about the original game and decided to play expansion two (considered the best) a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, it was still unexciting and devoid of tension. I even came away appreciating the base game a bit more for its streamlined play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manchuwok
Canada
Mission
BC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eknauer wrote:
I share the same thoughts as you about the original game and decided to play expansion two (considered the best) a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, it was still unexciting and devoid of tension. I even came away appreciating the base game a bit more for its streamlined play.

Thanks for the tip. I'm starting to wonder why I would buy an expansion for a game I don't love when I could be expanding a game I do, or getting a new game altogether.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We bought the Big Box, because we wanted to try several things from different expansions, and the price was good to get them all at once.

We are really enjoying it. We have added several of the extensions to the basic game, to use in all our future games (such as the coins, diamonds, vizier tiles, master builder cards, and thief cards). We always play with six players and these additions definitely make the game better for us.

We then try one or two other extensions at a time. So far, we have enjoyed City Walls to some extent and City Gates, and we are looking forward to trying most of the remaining extensions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

I had The Big Box in mind, but ended up buying the base game. I am happy with it.
The main reason for not buying the Big Box is because there are far too many modules in each expansions and I was not sure if I would end up liking the base game, nevermind playing the rest !

Regards.

PS: BTQ, I do like the base game, but I will not be adding any expansions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hear the Vizier add-on/exp makes it "more playable" with 4 to 6p range. Too many turns between yours to plan anything, and that exp helps out with that. This is definitely one of those games I'd like to play with fewer players, but probably never will since I don't own my own copy whereas others who own it will likely end up playing it with 4p to 6p
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
I hear the Vizier add-on/exp makes it "more playable" with 4 to 6p range. Too many turns between yours to plan anything, and that exp helps out with that. This is definitely one of those games I'd like to play with fewer players, but probably never will since I don't own my own copy whereas others who own it will likely end up playing it with 4p to 6p

The vizier tiles help a lot for 6 players, and so do the thief cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
manchuwok wrote:
We have been finding this game to be quite dull as we have played more and more different games.
What number of players is involved? The majority of my games have been with 3. We find pleasant tension in the competition for colors but all of us have interpreted that there would be a discourging loss of control with increasing players.

Counterpoint: whenever I read about the nature of the expansions I keep thinking that most of them represent, "Here's a special power that you can use to bypass one of the standard rules". I take that as adding unnecessary disruptive chaos and surmise that I would find it more distracting rather than adding fun.

but then again there would not be so many of them successfully marketed already if enough others agreed with me, would there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TVis wrote:
manchuwok wrote:
We have been finding this game to be quite dull as we have played more and more different games.
What number of players is involved? The majority of my games have been with 3. We find pleasant tension in the competition for colors but all of us have interpreted that there would be a discourging loss of control with increasing players.

Counterpoint: whenever I read about the nature of the expansions I keep thinking that most of them represent, "Here's a special power that you can use to bypass one of the standard rules". I take that as adding unnecessary disruptive chaos and surmise that I would find it more distracting rather than adding fun.

but then again there would not be so many of them successfully marketed already if enough others agreed with me, would there.

There is some loss of control with more players, because so much can change between your turns. But, the expansions help offset that problem by allowing you to interrupt play and take an extra turn for something really important to you, although there are limits to this option.

My take on this is that if you like the basic game, you will like some of the extensions. Otherwise, don't bother. We have always enjoyed the game with 6 players, and find it even more fun with the expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found the fourth expansion really made things entertaining. The first expansion, not so much. I'd just make a DIY vizier set and buy the second or fourth expansion. Don't overlook the fourth expansion. The scouts and raiders expansion turns Alhambra into Galaxy Trucker, and that's a good thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Farrington
United States
Waterbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
When I first bought Alhambra, I'd read many of the reviews and so I ordered the City Gates expansion at the same time. Most of our games are two or three player, and after getting familiar with the base game we tried the expansion.

I was not disappointed. Since each expansion comes with four elements, we always play with the city gates and the diamond cards, and will occasionally add the camps and/or characters. The city gates provide a means of opening up your Alhambra if you closed yourself in too much, but taking the card for this privilege does mean giving up something else.

We will also play with the home version of the Visier if we play with four or more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.