Descent: The Sea of Blood» Forums » General

Subject: Divine Favour rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Colvin
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
So, this new rule has had a lot of criticism on the FFG boards.

I've been thinking it through though and I think that this has a lot of potential good. I'll take a chance and assume that the other, knock-on issues such as how much additional conquest the overlord needs has been also been addressed.I'll also assume that the a hero's CT value will drop to a minimum of 1. Finally I'll assume that Divine Favour is calculated at the beginning of a week and doesn't need constant monitoring.

One of the interesting outcomes should be that the melee heroes should become much more attractive targets over the easy kills. Let's assume a "typical" copper party of (health/armour)-CT
Melee116/5)-4,
Melee216/4)-4,
Ranged12/2)-3,
Magic12/1)-2.

As soon as the CTs drop by one each, the 4,4,3,2 becomes 3,3,2,1

The wizard is still the easiest to kill, but at twice the CT for only a 1 armour difference, any sensible overlord would start to focus on the Ranged hero. The melee heroes are tough to take down, but they are now three times the value of the wizard.

This goes a little more awry at 2,2,1,1 and at 1,1,1,1 it does get messy, but, to be honest.... think about just how badly the heroes would have to be doing to be have their CT values reduced by that amount and STILL be that far behind. Cue a 5 city razed endgame. (in fact, potential house-rule: if the heroes get 3 stages behind on the Divine Favour, it's an Overlord victory?)

Yes there may be occasions when heroes may want to lose a few CT before taking on a big dungeon... but realistically, I can't envisage many and experience in Descent normally shows that CT in the hand is worth substantially more in the bush (whyever didn't I drop that Block on Silhouette when I had the chance. Wait a week or two to give the overlord more CT and he buys that extra Treachery to use Dance of the Monkey God). And if the heroes are in a position whereby they will benefit significantly from being the right side of the Divine Favour margin, well, great, they might be more incluned to take on a full dungeon instead of just skimming off the treasure from level 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emivaldo Sousa
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will assume nothing. I will wait for this one. ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd have preferred it if they had taken measures to actually rebalance the game mechanics themselves, rather then just jury-rigging an artifical forced balancing mechanism over the top of the unbalanced mechanics.

In summary, what is the flak it's received over on the FFG boards based on?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emivaldo Sousa
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zinho73 wrote:

Thinking better, I will assume that the minimum hero value would be 1 or otherwise this would be the dumbest rule ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
zinho73 wrote:
zinho73 wrote:

Thinking better, I will assume that the minimum hero value would be 1 or otherwise this would be the dumbest rule ever.

Try not to be *too* surprised if you find out it's not the case, though. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The dumbest rule ever would be if they wouldn't limit it at all (As in, could go negative), but allowing it to go to 0 would be pretty dumb as well. -.-
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Colvin
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
bleached_lizard wrote:

In summary, what is the flak it's received over on the FFG boards based on?

Pretty much the points I covered.

- Heroes would be trying to kill themselves whenever just over a limit.
- Overlord needs to be ahead in conquest in RtL
- A 0CT hero would be unbalanced (clearly)
- It'd be a logistical nightmare having to keep adjusting mid-dungeon.

If it makes each session a nearer thing, I'm all for it. But will have to wait to see it in practice before deciding

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So... anyone care to share what rule we're talking about here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linton
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Honestly, I think that the new rule, while maybe not popular for those players who want to crush their opponents, will be popular for those who want a more cinematic and "fun" game. If I'm playing in a weeks or months long campaign with my little brother and his friends, crushing them isn't fun for either side. With this much of a time investment, everyone having fun is far more important to me then winning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emivaldo Sousa
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
B4k4baka wrote:
Honestly, I think that the new rule, while maybe not popular for those players who want to crush their opponents, will be popular for those who want a more cinematic and "fun" game. If I'm playing in a weeks or months long campaign with my little brother and his friends, crushing them isn't fun for either side. With this much of a time investment, everyone having fun is far more important to me then winning.

I would gladly prefer a more balanced and playtested experience.

Failing that, I'm all for artificial mechanisms as long as the rule does not create weird situations like a zero value hero running around.

Let's wait and see...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ranger
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group has given the Divine Favor a shot in our campaign (only one session so far). I am the Overlord ahead of the heroes by about 30 conquest in Copper level after a few dungeons and encounters. We are using the following definition for the rule:

Compare Overlord to Hero total conquest at the begining of each encounter or dungeon floor. For every 25 conquest the Overlord is ahead lower the Heroes CT rating by 1 (minimum 1). For every 25 conquest the Heroes are ahead raise the Heroes CT rating by 1.

Both sides appreciate the rule as it lowers the risk of a runaway lead for either side. Although for more simplicity (not that our rule is overly complex), I could see determining the rating only once at the begining of the week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Colvin
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Darkspell wrote:
Our group has given the Divine Favor a shot in our campaign (only one session so far).

Bear in mind that you may get some odd results as it's become pretty accepted that an Overlord should end up with about twice the CT of the heroes. You will probably end up with a much more balaced Copper level... what happens after that is what would be very interesting to know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.