Subject: Another question about theme decks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick the Greek
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been lately looking at all the theme decks from all the expansions and I have the impression that these theme decks are not that good after all. Out of 60 cards, a dozen may be interesting and it's not always the rare ones, which means I can easily buy them from ebay or another store as singles.

I have already purchased all the duel decks AND all the planechase decks and those were a blast. They can't be compared to the normal theme decks.

Most of you say that the Ravnica theme decks are good. Are they good because of the way they are built or is it because of their playability against each other? Do I really need those or have I covered my needs for casual play with the decks I have already purchased?

Are there any decks that are must-buys or they won't make it against my duel and planechase decks?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you're right, that most of the theme decks are pretty bad. What they're good for is convenience, because you can grab a couple theme decks and play them against each other, to get a feel for a particular deck type, but once you start swapping cards in and out of the deck, you'll find you want to remove almost all the original cards.

As a general rule of thumb, it's always cheaper to buy the cards second hand to build a deck. I bet you could create the exact same deck as the theme deck with second hand cards for cheaper than the price of the theme deck.

You can see it right in the description of the decks, where they tell you what cards would be better in the decks.

Wizards claims that part of the reason they make crappy cards is because Magic is a game of discovery, but if they want people to discover things, why are they telling them right in the instructions what cards would go better in the theme decks?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick the Greek
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed you are right. However, if you ever go to troll&toad's website, there are quite a few theme decks that are sold for less than 5 bucks and those include all the core set theme decks and most of the ravnica block theme decks. Could be interesting getting them but I am afraid I will get lost if I have too many decks to choose from during my casual play sessions. Besides, any of the duel decks will probably easily beat any of the standard theme decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Five bucks for a deck seems pretty good, although check what the shipping is going to be before you purchase them.

If you are getting overwhelmed with the decks you have, then of course you don't need to get more decks. You can always buy more cards to swap into the decks you have and try to make them stronger. Nobody ever complained that they aren't spending *enough* money on Magic!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick the Greek
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info!

After looking a bit more at troll&toad's website, these were the following theme decks that were sold at a really low price price:

-Ravnica block
-Timespiral block
-Kamigawa block (except for rat's nest)
-Mirrodin block
-Scourge, coldsnap, planeshift, odyssey and legions theme decks

Are there any of those worth of my attention? Most of you agree that the Ravnica block theme decks are solid. How about the Time spiral block theme decks? I have heard good things about those too.

Moreover, I have won 2 auctions on ebay where I got the 4 theme decks from both Urza's saga and Urza's destiny for a total of 58 US dollars (shipping included). I am however considering retracting my bid as I am not sure how well these decks will fare against my duel and planechase decks. I simply bid on them because I was told the Urza block was one of the greatest of all times. They are in used but good condition. The guy was selling a collection of all the theme decks ever released and made separate auctions for each set (so, he sold them in groups of 4 or 5). What should I do?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Day
United Kingdom
Lee
LONDON
flag msg tools
Oi!
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally only play theme decks against decks from that block as that is hw they are balanced.

The power curve is not flat from set to set, so some decks will trounce others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jond wrote:
Generally only play theme decks against decks from that block as that is hw they are balanced.

The power curve is not flat from set to set, so some decks will trounce others.

Really? I wouldn't have thought that the case. Do you have first-hand experience of unbalanced theme decks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Dorn

Nebraska
msg tools
Quote:
Really? I wouldn't have thought that the case. Do you have first-hand experience of unbalanced theme decks?

I have played the Lorwyn block decks against the Morningtide, Shadowmoor, and Eventide sets in round-robin format. With few exceptions, Kithkin and Elves are typically devastating to the other constructed decks; so I would agree that playing decks from different sets can lead to unbalanced play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Good to know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Ravnica: Great for playability against each other. I rate it a solid thumbs-up with the likes of Blue Moon, etc. For more than one reason, others may feel more comfortable playing a pre-built deck as opposed to one that you built. Easily the #1 block I'd recommend for theme decks.

Mirrodin block is also solid, with only a couple of really lame decks in the block.

I wouldn't recommend Timespiral, Kamigawa, or Coldsnap unless you need them all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
In case you wondered, Rat's nest is not more expensive because it's more fun, but because it has a Jitte on it, a $20 card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.