Subject: My Fantastic Four - all the Knizia you need? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: KNIZ [+] [View All]
Tomas Lundin
Sweden
Åtvidaberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for the cocky headline. Now I know Reiner has designed very many games and I have certainly played a minority of them. Anyway, four of his designs are right up there among my very favorites. So, four Knizias, is that all the Knizia you need? After all, there are many other games by other designers that you want in your collection as well.

I've got:

Tigris & Euphrates. Great complex strategy game for meatier occations. Simply great.

Samurai. Scales well. Medium complex. Great components. Easy to learn!

Battle Line Two player classic and it doesn't get old. Great for "making gamers" and easily enjoyable for typical traditional card game players.

Ra A really fun medium weight auction game with a seemingly very wide appeal. Also, playable and still interesting for two players.

Is there any other Knizia game that you feel is a must-have? Then let's have it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkan König
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While it is somewhat of a love it or hate it, I suggest Lord of the Rings. I love it, and right now you should be ableto find it cheap in Sweden
(City Gross Malmö hade det på rea för 149 när jag var där i lördags).

Also of inteest should be Through the Desert and Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Hamm
United States
Huxley
Iowa
flag msg tools
See this text? It's a gratuitous waste of GeekGold.
badge
The game itself isn't important. Spending time intellectually jousting with likeminded folks is the real reason to game.
mbmbmbmbmb
Modern Art and Ingenious and Lost Cities are among my favorite games of all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
darksurtur
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Taj Mahal is probably his most tense game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Håkan - all the games he mentions are must haves to me.

In addition, Knizia has a billion light/family games. They don't get much respect here on BGG, but I always have a great time playing them with kids or nongamers: Escalation!, Double or Nothing, Zirkus Flohcati, and High Society are all worth getting if you like this type of game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Speer
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Gravity Falls
badge
Remember, reality is an illusion, the universe is a hologram, buy gold, bye!
mbmbmbmbmb
I really love Tigris and Euphrates, Ra, and LOTR: The Confrontation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tigris and Euphrates, Ra, Taj Mahal and Lord of the Rings are essential Knizia games.

Through the Desert and Beowulf are also very good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Dove
United States
Easton
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hollywood Blockbuster and Modern Art. Both are great bidding games with many decision points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Heim
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Medici is a great game that plays with 5-6 very well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Kimmel
United States
Waconia
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would only add Through the Desert. I love Lost Cities, Taj, and Amun Re. And I really enjoyed Medici. But I think the 4 listed games along with TtD definitely capture the essence of what makes Knizia games so good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Goodrich
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Why can't more games have a handicapping mechanism?
badge
Becoming immortal!
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephenson's Rocket
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
and everything under the sun is in tune
mbmbmbmbmb
I never think in terms of "must haves," but Taj Mahal is my favorite Knizia, and I've played a bunch. Actually it's my favorite game overall.

Ingenious is a good game for introducing new people to the hobby. It's a bit more accessible than Ra, I think (which not to say anything against Ra).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite Knzia is Blue Moon City. It's an excellent mid-weight/family game, but not as much praised as his better known titles. Others I really like are Dream Factory (although I've only played it once, German edition) and Taj Mahal.

Interestingly, I'm not very fond of any of the four games mentioned in the original post, from which I only own T&E.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darksurtur wrote:
Taj Mahal is probably his most tense game.

I totally agree.

Gola wrote:
I never think in terms of "must haves," but Taj Mahal is my favorite Knizia, and I've played a bunch. Actually it's my favorite game overall.

It's also my favorite game overall.

I own almost 40 Knizia games and have played several more; there are so many terrific games that I hestitate to begin listing them. But IMHO, Taj Mahal is his masterpiece.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anshuman Sinha
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have to stick to four, then I would drop Ra and Battlelines and pick up Amun Re and Modern Art.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
My favorite Knzia is Blue Moon City. It's an excellent mid-weight/family game, but not as much praised as his better known titles.

thumbsup thumbsup
My family love it - great 4 player game - and it has nice "layering" that gives the feel of interesting detail without being overly complex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Dew
United States
Hinesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oooh. I agree four (or three) might be enough Knizia IMHO. Through the Desert, Taj Mahal and Lost Cities, eh? I currently own T&E but it doesn't get played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh P.
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GOTTA CATCH 'EM ALL! GOTTA CATCH 'EM ALL! GOTTA CATCH 'EM ALL!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"Don't hang around, 'cause two's a crowd on my cloud, baby."
badge
"If I were to hang my head, I'd miss all the rainbows. And I'd drown in raindrops instead."
mbmbmbmbmb
Zelif wrote:
I currently own T&E but it doesn't get played.

I own Blue Moon (with all the decks), and it only got played once so far.

Lost Cities, OTOH, was an instant hit with my wife. Now that we've loaned it to a friend, I need to get my wife to try Battle Line with me.

Somebody just recommended Ingenious to me, and I'm half tempted to buy a copy.

I bought Lord of the Rings for my nephew several years ago, and we played at it for a couple hours, then I never saw it again. Lately I'm wanting a copy for myself.

It's a bonus that Ingenious and LotR are suitable for solitaire, since that's how I might end up playing them most all the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F. F.
Germany
Bochum
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Patrick Carroll wrote:
Zelif wrote:
I currently own T&E but it doesn't get played.

I own Blue Moon (with all the decks), and it only got played once so far.

Lost Cities, OTOH, was an instant hit with my wife. Now that we've loaned it to a friend, I need to get my wife to try Battle Line with me.

Somebody just recommended Ingenious to me, and I'm half tempted to buy a copy.

I bought Lord of the Rings for my nephew several years ago, and we played at it for a couple hours, then I never saw it again. Lately I'm wanting a copy for myself.

It's a bonus that Ingenious and LotR are suitable for solitaire, since that's how I might end up playing them most all the time.

If you plan to play Ingenious with your wife most of the time get the Ingenious: Travel Edition. It's the the two player variant - plays well with 2, is small and easy to play, a game lasts about 15-20 minutes. My gf loves Ingenious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.