Popular Tags: derailed [+] [View All]
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

*sigh* I was walking around the UTSA campus today (that's not the med school, that's the undergraduate campus), and I realized that I can't classify people into what group they belong to based on what they're wearing anymore. Where are the geeks? They all look like geeks now. Except for the jocks (or jock wannabes, who will always look the same).

I mean last week, there were about 4 guys who I pegged as being nerds from a way off, and when I passed them, they were talking about last night's D&D game. I mean, the only two people who looked "different" today was the guy with a grey kilt who was talking to the guy with the meter-wide afro and pajama bottoms.

Stop derailing this thread, Amy. The problem here is that everyone looks the same. I can't pick the boardgamers out of the crowd anymore. And everyone's got an iPhone. When I was in college, I had to take my portable CD player, extra batteries and/or the AC adapter, and headphones with me if I wanted to listen to music whilst I studied while walking uphill both ways to class!

Now, get off my lawn! Oh, I'm sorry. That's what old, crotchety men say. I guess I'm supposed to ask if anyone wants a freshly baked cookie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:
I can't pick the boardgamers out of the crowd anymore.

You can't pick boardgamers out of the crowd, because their average age is 35, and probably not going to be on a college campus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:
I guess I'm supposed to ask if anyone wants a freshly baked cookie.
Yes, please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:

*sigh* I was walking around the UTSA campus today (that's not the med school, that's the undergraduate campus), and I realized that I can't classify people into what group they belong to based on what they're wearing anymore. Where are the geeks? They all look like geeks now. Except for the jocks (or jock wannabes, who will always look the same).

I mean last week, there were about 4 guys who I pegged as being nerds from a way off, and when I passed them, they were talking about last night's D&D game. I mean, the only two people who looked "different" today was the guy with a grey kilt who was talking to the guy with the meter-wide afro and pajama bottoms.

Stop derailing this thread, Amy. The problem here is that everyone looks the same. I can't pick the boardgamers out of the crowd anymore. And everyone's got an iPhone. When I was in college, I had to take my portable CD player, extra batteries and/or the AC adapter, and headphones with me if I wanted to listen to music whilst I studied while walking uphill both ways to class!

Now, get off my lawn! Oh, I'm sorry. That's what old, crotchety men say. I guess I'm supposed to ask if anyone wants a freshly baked cookie.

Try working on a college campus man... They get younger and younger every year. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mb
So is this a change from last week? Suddenly everyone started dressing the same? It could be that Fall has arrived and the new fashion cycle kicked in. Give them another week or so to sort themselves out, decide that they don't want to be wearing "the new black" like everyone else.

OR you could revel in being older and having more games then they do! They will never catch up!

And if you are baking cookies, could I have chocolate chips in mine?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:

*sigh* I guess I'm supposed to ask if anyone wants a freshly baked cookie.

Texas Rangers?

kiss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Celinashope wrote:
So is this a change from last week? Suddenly everyone started dressing the same? It could be that Fall has arrived and the new fashion cycle kicked in. Give them another week or so to sort themselves out, decide that they don't want to be wearing "the new black" like everyone else.

OR you could revel in being older and having more games then they do! They will never catch up!

And if you are baking cookies, could I have chocolate chips in mine?

I think I just started paying attention. Usually I sit at my desk on the med school campus. This semester I'm auditing a course at an undergraduate campus.

Oh, and I know Van. I'm about to be a professor. It's going to be really sad. I guess if I can't tell students apart, then I probably look like a professor to them, which is probably good.

Edit: I meant to say that of course they're chocolate chip!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah...and I can't tell my doctor from the preschool kids in my wife's class! Turn your head and cough?! Yeah right. Bring in an adult!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
amwiles wrote:
I can't pick the boardgamers out of the crowd anymore.

You can't pick boardgamers out of the crowd, because their average age is 35, ......

Yes! I'll take that!! Works for me!!

kiss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
Every time I hear about an award show featuring 'so-and-so' I feel a little bit older because I have no damn idea who they're talking about usually. Featuring live performances from about 15 people you've never heard of, but we promise it's a big deal!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Levy
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, everybody, let's ask Amy...

HOW...OLD...ARE...YOU?

Remember, Amy, you have to respond with "I'm so old that..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got an iPhone before they were trendy. Still have the original version; none of this 3g nonsense for me.

And check out my cool state-of-the-art camera:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
unixrevolution wrote:
I got an iPhone before they were trendy.
Oh, come on. They were trendy even before they were available. They hype was ridiculous on iPhones.

So there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy McFrogface
United States
FORT COLLINS
CO
flag msg tools
badge
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
unixrevolution wrote:
I got an iPhone before they were trendy. Still have the original version; none of this 3g nonsense for me.

And check out my cool state-of-the-art camera:

Wait...if that's your camera...but that's a picture of your camera...but that's your camera...a picture...

I think my head is about to explode!!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
June King
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Bring me her heart in this box.
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't really feel old until you're in line at the store check-out and you don't recognize any of the names of the people featured on the front pages of the tabloids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
That is not Depeche but rather
United States
Grandville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my co-worker's is about the same age as me. We're both relatively young. He has retained a youthful appearance. I, on the other hand, am rapidly becoming a bald-headed, crow-footed troll. It's not fair I tells ya.

No, really. Another co-worker thought I was a decade older than him. I actually prefer to appear older than I am though. I suppose I'll do a 180 on that when I actually am old.

I was once told that someone assumed I was older based on my parenting.

Edit for one more anecdote:

Last year, while visiting with my family, my father and I went out. We first stopped at a wedding reception for the son of one of my father's friends. While standing around, someone came up and said to my father "Hey, is this your brother (referring to me)? I haven't seen him in years!" My father corrected him, to which he replied "Man, you guys are like twins!" shake

Fast forward a couple hours. We stopped at a bar for a few drinks. This was his old watering hole, so he knew some of the regulars from way back when. Out of the blue, one of them came up to us and said to my father "Good to see brothers sharing a drink." cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
Drew1365 wrote:
Now everyone -- dweeb and non-dweeb alike -- carries a backpack over both shoulders.

That's because the contents weigh about 700 thousand pounds. If you were to throw that over one shoulder, you'd probably wind up looking like Bishop at the end of Aliens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ludocrazy wrote:
You don't really feel old until you're in line at the store check-out and you don't recognize any of the names of the people featured on the front pages of the tabloids.

That happened *years* ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:
Ludocrazy wrote:

You're younger than I am! Knock it off!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:
I think I just started paying attention. Usually I sit at my desk on the med school campus. This semester I'm auditing a course at an undergraduate campus.

Oh, and I know Van. I'm about to be a professor. It's going to be really sad. I guess if I can't tell students apart, then I probably look like a professor to them, which is probably good.

I started taking classes again this semester. I walk in the door a few minutes late on the first day, no teacher/professor. So I ask to a few guys sitting around "No professor yet?" They said no, they had hoped I was it. I was tempted to pull a "Mr Abagnale".

As it happened there was a miscommunication and the teacher thought he had a Monday class not a Tuesday class. (This was the Tuesday after Labor Day.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try going to a fun bar. And realizing that you are much older than anybody else there.

Then wait another 10 years. That makes you feel old.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
admin
All engines full to awesome land!
badge
*tap* *tap* Is this thing on?
mbmbmbmbmb
Ludocrazy wrote:

It is worst when you heard teenagers talking about so-and-so actor\band saying it\she\he is really old school and dad loved, and you remember the day said band\person became famous.

And amy, it is worst when you see someone in a given style, realized all the influences from your time that are joined together to create that and when you confront said teen with that he says it is based on something completely unrelated from 1 year ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:
Ludocrazy wrote:

You mean like the Kardashian sisters?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mb
What I don't understand is that the punks now look just like the punks from 30 years ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cold_fuzion wrote:
amwiles wrote:
Ludocrazy wrote:

You're younger than I am! Knock it off!!

Oooh... A whole 316 days younger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.