Subject: Amazons run to the hills and find victory there! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
AaAaAaAaAaAaA! Oh no! You shanked my Jenga ship!
badge
"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently finished a two player game of small world with my room mate. This was the second game for both of us, and we dispensed with the usual 'ear examination' method of determining the star player and just used a random method. I went first. From the available races, I took sea faring ratmen, and quickly spread out from the southeast corner of the map to the northwest, claiming all three water territories but probably spreading myself a little too thin. My room mate then picked merchant wizards, and spread out a bit, managing to grab a few magical sights and get a bit of an early lead in points.

I aggressively attacked with my ratmen, still having plenty of them left after losing a few to his wizards. This was enough to cause him to decline the wizards the next turn. I sensed I wasn't going to get much more out of the ratmen once his new race hit the board, and I put them into decline as well. His next choice was flying elves, and we both quickly discovered how powerful an ability elven immortality is, especially so early in the game! After some deliberation, I chose stout ghouls, and used them to grab some moutain spots and push his elves out a few territories (which was really all I could do since they were all going to be back on the next turn). Sure enough, the next turn brought a massive elven counter attack, to which I responded while putting my ghouls into decline (thanks to the 'stout' ability). I tried to leave them grouped as well as I could, with two particularly strong moutain spaces with two or three ghouls in each of them. He carved up most of my now declined ghouls with his elves, and I then brought out underworld sorcerers, hoping to use their conversion ability to whittle away at my opponent's immortal army. It worked. After about two turns of losing elves, my opponent finally put them into decline, and, having accomplished my goal with them, I followed suit with my sorcerers.

My room mate next chose dragon master giants, and spread out quickly across the board. At this point, it was late in the game, and both of us knew that time was running out. I selected hill amazons, and managed to do so much damage to his giants that he put them into decline immediately. I spread out a little more with the amazons on my turn, trying to take as many hill spaces as I could along the way, and, for his last turn of the game, my room mate brought out pillaging humans (which we both agreed was an ironically appropriate ability, given the vagaries of human nature), he spread them out as well as he could, grabbing as much farmland as he could manage. We then counted victory points and the final tally was 111 to 108 in my favor! A very close, tense, and exciting game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Spirit of 70 wrote:
From the available races, I took sea faring ratmen, and quickly spread out from the southeast corner of the map to the northwest, claiming all three water territories but probably spreading myself a little too thin.

"Spreading thin" = "gaining victory points"!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.