♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
I'm getting back on track with my reading, now that I'm in a new job with a real lunch break. I managed to read TWO (count 'em, TWO!) books this month. The first was a re-read of The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, which I read for my wife's book club. I think this book is perfect. If you haven't read it yet, you should.

The second was Handle with Care by Jodi Picoult, which I only read because Stephen King had some nice things to say about her. She's a good writer. I can't deny that. The story was compelling, and the situations were intriguing. She just set up the story so it was the perfect storm of melodrama. It was about a woman suing her obstetrician over a wrongful borth case, but her obstetrician was ALSO her best friend, the lawyer was an adopted woman who had personal issues over trying a case where a woman essentially said that she wished her daughter hadn't been born, and then one of the jurors wound up being her birth mother. I'll bet if you look up the word "contrived" in Webster's next year, you'll see this book listed as an example.

What about the rest of y'all? Give!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Variable Star by Robert Heinlein/Spider Robinson
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
An open-eyed man falling into the well
United States
Roswell
Georgia
flag msg tools
"I don’t believe in magic that works whether or not you believe in it!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Dogsbody by Diana Wynne Jones - Almost everything I've read by this author is good (IMHO), but this was definitely one of the better ones. Recommended!

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert Pirsig - not finished yet (2/3 finished), but so far it's a great book on modern life and technology, touching on the divisions between science/technology, art, and religion. (Anyone with a background in philosophy might be bored by it, as it doesn't go terribly deep, but the level is perfect for lightweights like me.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Big Rewind by Nathan Rabin - Run of the mill memoirish stuff. The chapter about him dating a polyamorist was pretty amusing though.

Fables Vol. 11: War and Pieces - Continues to be an awesome series. Not bad considering volume 1 was terrible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the one and only
Germany
Nettetal - Kaldenkirchen
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not much for me either.
so there were the fist six issues of the Storm reprint
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storm_(Don_Lawrence)
the first issue of the The Passengers of the Wind reprint
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fran%C3%A7ois_Bourgeon
also a book by Navid Kermani: Wer ist wir? Deutschland und seine Muslime
(Who is we? Germany and it's Muslims)
wiki about Kermani; sadly only in German http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navid_Kermani
It's a book about the life of Muslims in Germany and on the other hand a book about the Germans living with Muslims. Very interesting book, that showed me a lot of what Muslims think of Germany and Germans. Kermani clearly is an advocate for a multicultural society.
Started to read Nassim Nicholas Taleb: The Black Swan - The Impact of the Highly Improbable.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nassim_Nicholas_Taleb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Morse
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
http://atroublewithwords.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
Finished up Vector Prime (New Jedi Order #1) - my opinion didn't change much - nothing fantastic, but it put down a solid framework for what could be a great series.

Dark Tide I: Onslaught by Michael A. Stackpole (New Jedi Order #2)
I liked this book a lot better than Vector Prime, but I think that has more to do with Stackpole being a better writer than R.A. Salvatore.
I'd give it a solid

The Walking Dead Trade Paperback #7
Such a great series - I'm really excited about the forthcoming A&E treatment.

The Walking Dead TPB #8
Wow. Just when you thought things were bad...

Y: The Last Man TPB #3
Good stuff - I can't wait to get my hands on the next trade!

Dark Tide II: Ruin by Michael A. Stackpole (New Jedi Order #3)
I'm a little less than halfway through this one. It's good, but it's too soon to rate it.

Oh, I almost forgot!

Batman Superman: Public Enemies
From this thread:
Quote:
I couldn't stand it. The writing was... basic at best - the "plot" of the book could have been summed up in a short paragraph. It feels like they handed an 8 year old some pencil and paper, a list of minor DC characters, and told him, "Go nuts, kid."

I guess it just goes to show how out of touch with the DC universe I am - I didn't recognize any of the characters who weren't Batman, Superman, or Lex.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
And don't get me started on that robot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quite a busy month for me. I've started roleplaying again and it is taking up a bit more of my time. I also had a couple of days illness.

Anyway on to the list.

Figure Of Hate by Bernard Knight. Book 9 in the Crowner John series of mysteries. Set in the late 12th century in Exeter.

Moxyland by Lauren Beukes. Science fiction. A high energy dystopia set in South Africa (Beukes is a Saffer).

Transition by Iain Banks. In the UK this is published as by Iain Banks so it should be one of his mainstream books. It is SF though and is published in the US as by Iain M. Banks. A world-hopping body-swap novel which didn't really leave me feeling satisfied. I think it may be a problem I have with the subgenre as I rarely find these type of stories as good as some others.

Hylozoic by Rudy Rucker. A self-contained followup to Postsingular. The usual Rucker weirdness.

The Osiris Ritual by George Mann. Steampunk - Newbury and Hobbes make a welcome return.

Orbus by Neal Asher. Asher's normal stuff. This is nominally in the Spatterjay series but isn't set on Spatterjay.

The Ask And The Answer by Patrick Ness. YA SF sequel to last year's award winning The Knife Of Never Letting Go. This is paced a lot better for adults and is much darker.

The Mammoth Book Of Future Cops edited by Maxim Jakubowski. Sizeable anthology. Does pretty much what it says on the cover.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chony McChuukface
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been reading the 1632 series by Eric Flint.

In September I read:

The Grantsville Gazette

The Grantsville Gazette II

Ring of Fire

Ring of Fire II

The Judas Strain by James Rollins

and, of course, my religious texts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quixote171 wrote:

May as well just get all of the remaining volumes. It remains incredible start to finish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I only read one book soblue It was The Joy of Teaching by Peter Filene. For all you profs out there -- this is a good one. You should pick it up.

Oh, and I read a couple of graphic novels:

Fables 1-3
Batman: War Drums
Batman: War Games 1-3
Batman: War Crimes
Neverwhere
Batman: Hush Returns
Transmetropolitan 1
and I'm thinking there was another, but I can't remember what it was...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Morse
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
http://atroublewithwords.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
Quixote171 wrote:

May as well just get all of the remaining volumes. It remains incredible start to finish.

If I could get the expense cleared through the War General I would do just that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's see:

Toast by Charlie Stross. I like me some singularity as much as the next guy, and this collection of shorts stories (one of which became the first chapter of Accelerando) were pretty good. Best was the chilling "A Colder War"

A World at Arms: A Global History of WWII OK, only the first chapter or two (it's a big book).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Jorgensen
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was a slow reading month for me. I've only managed the first marine trilogy by Ian Douglas. Semper Mars, Luner Marine, and Europa Strike. And Starship Troupers (Second re-reading).

I've been on a bit of a sci/fi kick lately.

Painting marines and genestealer for a particular game, (I won't bother mentioning the name, it's a unlikely that you guys would have heard of it) has swallowed up a good chunk of my reading time this month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
I got about half way trough The Borne Supremacy, but had to put it down for a while. Maybe I'll finish it in October.

Oh and I read a real hilarious parody of Where the Wild Things Are called Where the Mild Things Are. I highly suggest it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No one takes the time to read anymore.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, what indeed did I read in September?

Uh.

Just finished a youth fiction book, well, actually based on the career of James FitzGibbon during 1812, The Bully Boys by Eric Walters.

Before that, another 1812 book, or did I read it in August; Fire Ship by Marianne Brandis, about the storming of York through one boy's eyes.

Read a chapter or two out of Peter Snow's Battlefield Britain.

Started Through Water, Ice, and Fire, Schooner Nancy of the War of 1812, but put it down for some reason.

Currently on to Philip McCutchan's Tom Chatto: Apprentice, which I happily stumbled upon at a booksale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard S
United States
Rensselaer
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
September was crazy busy. So, I only finished one book (though it consisted of four novels):

The Dalemark Quartet by Diana Wynne Jones
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalemark_Quartet

These are young adult fiction. I have read some of Diana Wynne Jones material as she was suggested for those who liked the Harry Potter series. Of all of her stuff that I have read this Quartet was my favorite.

If I were searching for a more well read comparison, I wouldn't go with Harry Potter but rather with my half remembered reading of the Wizard of Earthsea series written by Ursula K. Le Guin. I haven't read the Wizard of Earthsea series in a while so that may make the comparison somewhat tenuous, but what stuck me as similar was the way the characters interacted with the magic of the world.

In HP, magic is just another skill like being good at math or basketball. In both the Wizard of Earthsea series and the Dalemark Quartet, magic is much more mysterious and the effect much further outside the control of even the supposed practitioner. The difference changes the focus of the story from growing up in a school for the gifted to one of dealing with great power and simultaneously uncertainty. I don't mean to belittle the HP series which I thought was quite good, but there is really something different here even if I am not expressing it well.

For being kids books (and suffering a little in the complexity area), I actually found the Dalemark Quartet to be quite worth the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Wolfgang Schwentker - Max Weber in Japan: Eine Untersuchung zur Wirkungsgeschichte 1905-1995
Paul Kroeger - Analyzing Grammar: An Introduction
Holt & Shatz (ed.s) - Blackwell Handbook of Language Development
Masao Maruyama - Studies in the Intellectual History of Tokugawa Japan
H. Gene Blocker - World Philosophy: An East-West Comparative Introduction to Philosophy
John R. Taylor - Linguistic Categorization
Bimal Matilal - Epistemology, Logic, and Grammar in Indian Philosophical Analysis
Herbert Clark - Using Language
Paul Grice - Studies in the Way of Words
Gregory L. Murphy - The Big Book of Concepts
Robins & Aydede (eds.) - The Cambridge Handbook of Situated Cognition
And 30 or so journal articles and other papers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mb
I just finished Gudrun by Alma Johanna Koenig.

It's a retelling of 2 13th century poems, one about a girl kidnapped by Normans to be a bride, and another about her mother, whose husband also (surprise!) kidnapped her (but with her OK) from Ireland. I loved this book, it was full of romance, adventure, and some very strong willed women. The reactions of people were great, at one point a man goes into Beserker mode and "sang songs in a language that no one could understand" while he fights. Everyone was so very human, they fall in love, make bad choices, make Terrible choices, lose their temper because the bad choices come back to haunt them. Great stuff.

I loved this book. But at the end there was a small chapter by Anthea Bell, who translated it. And she said that the woman who had crafted this marvelous book, was deported to the concentration camp at Minsk and "she was to have no happy ending; nothing more was ever heard of her." That just breaks my heart.

I'm keeping this book, and making my kids read it when they are teenagers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Adams
United States
Brigham City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most importantly, I read...

The Truth by Terry Pratchett

I enjoyed it a lot, but even more significant is that it is the last of the Discworld books for me to read. I have read them all. At least until next week when Unseen Academicals comes out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dixon
United States
Mauldin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spook Country by William Gibson. I was TDY to Orlando for a week doing some work with Army Research Labs and I read this on the plane. Interestingly, some of the technology and virtual reality and GPS stuff he talks about as fiction in the book the Army is working on.
Overall, not Gibson's best, but book's beginning about "locative" art using VR helmets, computer modeling and GPS software is very interesting. The actual plot of the book goes somewhat downhill after that.

Since I was out in the field the rest of the time this month, my other reading has been limited to Army Field Manuals and other work related items.

Dis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Empress
Japan
Nogata, Nakano-ku
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Toggy is a little behind in reading this thread, so she will post about what she has read in August and September. There will be no reading in November, only writing. Nano and all. Forgive the slip. Now, if you ask Jeff, this will be the entire library I am sure.

The Sandman – Volumes I-VII by Neil Gaiman

The Princess Academy – Shannon Hale

The Book of a Thousand Days – Shannon Hale

Daughter of the Forest – Juliet Marillier

Powder and Patch – Georgette Heyer
Charity Girl – Georgette Heyer
Sylvester of the Wicked Uncle – Georgette Heyer
A Civil Contact – Georgette Heyer
Venetia – Georgette Heyer
Devil’s Cub – Georgette Heyer
The Corinthian – Georgette Heyer
April Lady – Georgette Heyer
Frederica – Georgette Heyer
The Black Moth – Georgette Heyer
Regency Buck – Georgette Heyer
Arabella – Georgette Heyer

The Last Apprentice Series
Revenge of the Witch – Joseph Delaney
Curse of the Bane – Joseph Delaney
Attack of the Fiend – Joseph Delaney
Night of the Soul Stealer – Joseph Delaney

Enjoyed them all. When I have more time, and my books personalized, and sent out I might comment. Princess Academy was my least favorite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manisha DS
Canada
North York
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Toggy wrote:

Powder and Patch – Georgette Heyer
Charity Girl – Georgette Heyer
Sylvester of the Wicked Uncle – Georgette Heyer
A Civil Contact – Georgette Heyer
Venetia – Georgette Heyer
Devil’s Cub – Georgette Heyer
The Corinthian – Georgette Heyer
April Lady – Georgette Heyer
Frederica – Georgette Heyer
The Black Moth – Georgette Heyer
Regency Buck – Georgette Heyer
Arabella – Georgette Heyer

I'm a Georgette Heyer fan from way back. Have you read 'These Old Shades'? I think it is one of her best.

I finally finished the last 2 books of the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson. It is one of the best series I've read recently. Well paced, great characters, very original and well developed magic system and mythology. Highly recommended for fantasy lovers.

I am now officially bookless while I'm here in Delhi. I need to go find a good bookshop!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
Quixote171 wrote:
erak wrote:
Quixote171 wrote:

If I could get the expense cleared through the War General I would do just that!

Got the series out of the local library myself, and then lent it to a friend because I finished them so quickly. Sadly, it looks like Lithgow doesn't have them.

On a side note, I feel like an oddly empowered (benevolent) stalker for glancing at your location and looking up a book in your local library in the space of about a minute. I think I'll be adjusting to the internet until I'm dead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The amazing & fabulous
Australia
Sarina
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
I'm getting back on track with my reading, now that I'm in a new job with a real lunch break. I managed to read TWO (count 'em, TWO!) books this month. The first was a re-read of The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, which I read for my wife's book club. I think this book is perfect. If you haven't read it yet, you should.

Try finding The Messenger by Markus Zusak - Quintessential Australiana. I could not put it down. It is a young adult book, but I seriously and tremendously recommend it. And if you manage to find it and read it I will send you squishies!!!!

Okay, another month of comfort reading for me. I have been reading a lot of "chick lit" mostly as it is not heavy going, whilst I have a bunch of heavy going stuff happening right now. I am also nearly finished The Duchess, by Amanda Foreman. It's about Georgiana, the Duchess of Devonshire. They made a movie about it. The move was good, but nothing like the book.

Handbags & Gladrags
How to Break Your Own Heart
Cents & Sensibility
All by Maggie Alderson, an English/Aussie writer. She has a background in high end fashion, and her books are amazing Aussie-Brit fluff. Easy to get into.

10 Short Stories You Must Read This Year - Anthology.
Every year in Australia, we have this festival sort of thing called Books Alive. It is sponsored by the Government and is supposed to encourage people to read. They have 50 kids and adults books on the list, and if you buy one of the titles, you get to have your choice of a free book. So I HAD to buy some books off the list! I bought Kate Grenville's The Lieutenant and also The Guernsey Literary Potato Peel Society but I haven't read them yet. But I read the short stories, and they were mostly good.

Remember Me? - Sophie Kinsella Slightly disappointing Chick Lit by the women who wrote the Shopoholic books. (Now a movie starring an Aussie lady - YAY!) A girl has a car accident and wakes up with amnesia in what looks like the perfect liefe. Yeah yeah yeah..... Quite crappy, but I still read it. blush

The Secret River - Kate Grenville
Kate Grenville is an Aussie writer. She won quite a few awards for this book. It is about a family who are transported to Australia from England in the 2nd or 3rd fleet - not quite sure which. Obviously things are VERY different in a fledgling British colony, and the book spans about 6 years. I could not put this down, even when it got almost unbearably upsetting to read. Very, very good and I suggest it to everyone!

Trafficking in Old Books - Anthony Marshall who owns quite a famous bookshop in Melbourne that deals in 2nd hand and rare books. He was also a columnist for a long time in a book dealing magazine. These are a collection of his columns. Recommended reading for those who wish to work or have a career in 2nd hand books.

Going Solo - Roald Dahl Memoir about his time spent in the RAF in WW2 and also before that in Africa during the time of the Empire. This was a re-read. I read it when I was about 16, so half a lifetime ago!

Bergdorf Blondes - Plum Sykes MORE chick lit. Blah blah blah...

I suspect the litany of girly books will continue into next month..... Things are a bit squiffy here right now with me, and I don't seem to be able to handle anything too serious for extended periods of time.

Have fun reading in October. (Best month of the year due to it being my birthday month. Yay Librans!)

xxx & squishies,
Shebby
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Toggy wrote:
Toggy is a little behind in reading this thread, so she will post about what she has read in August and November.

How can you be behind if you are already posting what you read in November? I don't even know what my November books will be let alone have started them for weeks yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.