Popular Tags: [View All]
James
United States
Coeur D'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am recently unemployed and am going to have to finally sell off some of my games that I've been threatening to sell off for a while.

I'm sure this has been brought up before, but does anyone have any suggestions for where to find boxes to ship some games? I know about the free boxes from the post office and those work on the more "squarish" games. But what about longer more traditional boxes?

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendall Merriman
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Freecycle or the free section of craigslist both have posts of "free moving boxes" regularly, at least where I am. A little work with a box cutter and some tape, and you can easily (and securely) ship even the oddest shaped box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
watcher_b wrote:
I am recently unemployed and am going to have to finally sell off some of my games that I've been threatening to sell off for a while.

I'm sure this has been brought up before, but does anyone have any suggestions for where to find boxes to ship some games? I know about the free boxes from the post office and those work on the more "squarish" games. But what about longer more traditional boxes?

Thanks in advance!

Two words my friend, liquor stores. Ask them in advance and they will be happy to set aside boxes for you, or at least the ones in my area do.

On a personal note, I am sorry to hear you are unemployed. Let me know if there is anything I can do for you buddy. To be sure, if you put up an auction for your games on here, I will probably buy some from you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Cleary
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Big box retail dumpsters used to be the way to go, but most of those stores crush and bundle their cardboard. I'd suggest going to a smaller privately owned business. You could find out what days they get shipments in and ask someone if they could set a few boxes aside for you. Heck, you can also ask if they're hiring while you're there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Cunningham
United States
Lake Geneva
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Check with a local UPS store? The one near me has many different sizes.

How about checking with a local grocery or home improvement store? They might be willing to hold onto a few for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My Baloney
United States
hamburg
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The United States Postal Service gives free boxes when you ship with them.. go to their website... www.usps.com
and you can order boxes from them to send to you at no charge.
Look in the priority mail section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Halfway between Castro and Mickey Mouse
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Call the local big-box store and tell them you're looking for shipping boxes. They might tell you when you can come in to get some boxes before they dispose of them (probably very early in the morning). Check Toys R Us if you have one nearby.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WAN CHIU
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
During my dry spell I troll Office/industrial park. I found all sorts of bits and boxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Trzaskowski

Tucson
Arizona
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chemistry/Biology Departments at my university in US (Caltech) and probably every larger university order tons of chemical/biological stuff in boxes of every size. They never care about the boxes though - I frequently took the boxes from them and they were happy to get rid of them. There was also a recycling center in the campus which had always tons of clean boxes that needed just some taping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Johnson
United States
Cloquet
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
all of my local grocery stores give away every size box i can imagine. you might check there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carc >> BSG
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Your FLGS will have a lot of empties on Wednesday night/Thursday morning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chu
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I sometimes tape together priority mail boxes to get games like Heroscape starter sets to ship in. Just make sure you don't use the flat rate boxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davidchujr wrote:
I sometimes tape together priority mail boxes to get games like Heroscape starter sets to ship in. Just make sure you don't use the flat rate boxes.

Err, what priority mail boxes are there that AREN'T flat rate boxes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Anderson
United States
New Boston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Howitzer_120mm wrote:
davidchujr wrote:

Plenty of 'em. Before there was Flat Rate, there were plain old Priority Mail boxes. They're pretty similar in size to the flat rate boxes, but are usually (if not always) slightly different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
carl67lp wrote:
Howitzer_120mm wrote:
davidchujr wrote:

Plenty of 'em. Before there was Flat Rate, there were plain old Priority Mail boxes. They're pretty similar in size to the flat rate boxes, but are usually (if not always) slightly different.

Any idea where to get them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
You can order the USPS Priority boxes from USPS.com for free. They will deliver to your house. Also any time you're are at the post office you can pick up the boxes for free as well.

I don't know about all the boxes, but I primarily use the flat rate boxes and those are stamped as such on the inside so that people cannot turn them inside out and use them to mail items parcel post.

I think that the USPS flat rate boxes combined with printing postage online make life very convenient as long as the games fit inside.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Howitzer_120mm wrote:
carl67lp wrote:
Howitzer_120mm wrote:
davidchujr wrote:

Any idea where to get them?

http://www.usps.com lets you order any pre-printed Priority Mail supplies for free, including tape!

Your local Post Office may have a more limited selection of Priority Mail supplies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boards & Bits
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WWW.ULINE.COM.

Tom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Coeur D'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BoardsAndBits wrote:

Tom, do you have any suggestions about which boxes from uline?

I have used the priority boxes from the post office before and turned them inside out to send using Fedex. But say a game like Risk: The Lord of the Rings Trilogy Edition (one of the games I'm selling, wink wink) will not fit into one of those boxes.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm going to be keeping an eye out at my friend's pizza place that I'm helping out at for any appropriate boxes. I hadn't even thought of that (I'm not the sharpest in the world)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
John Coltrane - Both Directions At Once: The Lost Album
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I get mine from Tom at Boards and Bits. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boards & Bits
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
watcher_b wrote:
BoardsAndBits wrote:

Tom, do you have any suggestions about which boxes from uline?

I have used the priority boxes from the post office before and turned them inside out to send using Fedex. But say a game like Risk: The Lord of the Rings Trilogy Edition (one of the games I'm selling, wink wink) will not fit into one of those boxes.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm going to be keeping an eye out at my friend's pizza place that I'm helping out at for any appropriate boxes. I hadn't even thought of that (I'm not the sharpest in the world)

Anything from here:

http://www.uline.com/Grp_9/Corrugated-Boxes-(200-Test)

If you need sizes for specific games I can give you that, but it's best to give yourself at least 3/4" space around the entire game(s) for packing material.

Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
BoardsAndBits wrote:

One word of caution here. Make sure you understand the shipping charges, especially if you're having this delivered to a home address. If I have to order again I'll have the boxes shipped to the local Fed-Ex and then go down and pick them up.

I tried to minimize the shipping fees by ordering several boxes. A semi came to my door and dropped them off. I thought I paid all the shipping up front to U-Line, but then a month later I received a bill from Fed-Ex for a delivery fee for dropping them off at my house. It was another $50-$70 which was a totally unexpected surprise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boards & Bits
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
autumnweave wrote:
BoardsAndBits wrote:

One word of caution here. Make sure you understand the shipping charges, especially if you're having this delivered to a home address. If I have to order again I'll have the boxes shipped to the local Fed-Ex and then go down and pick them up.

I tried to minimize the shipping fees by ordering several boxes. A semi came to my door and dropped them off. I thought I paid all the shipping up front to U-Line, but then a month later I received a bill from Fed-Ex for a delivery fee for dropping them off at my house. It was another $50-$70 which was a totally unexpected surprise.

During ULINE's checkout process you can get an estimate of shipping charges, and it asks if you are delivering to a residential location. So there really shouldn't be any surprises.

Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ejcarter wrote:

And they are designed to fit games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boards & Bits
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joedogboy wrote:
ejcarter wrote:

And they are designed to fit games.

Most of these boxes will be cases for 5-6 copies of a game. They won't be very good for shipping a single game, and they will usually not allow room for packing material on all sides.

Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.