Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Hindman
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the attendance at the drive today was SO dismal, I would like to take this opportunity to climb atop my soap box and remind all the great and good BGG members out there about the importance of donating blood. The blood supply in the US is a completely volunteer based system, so every donation truly counts. Not to mention that every donation can help several people. Based on the number of people here on BGG who play ASL and Agricola, I know that the fear of something difficult, painful, and time consuming is minimal. Fortunately, donating blood is none of these, despite the prevailing stereotypes. And if you just make a note to donate once per season (winter, spring, summer, fall), you will be helping lots of people in less time than it takes to set up a HeroScape map. So, please remeber: DONATING BLOOD SAVES LIVES
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quinn Munnerlyn
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I benefited a great deal this year from donors. So if you take it upon yourself to do this simple thing, thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I think it's a great thing to do, and I admire anyone who does it. But as far as me ever doing it, I can tell you right now that it's not gonna happen. It's not that I don't qualify. I hate this about myself, but I just can't get anywhere near even considering it for one second.

It's not a fear of needles. I don't mind getting shots at all. The best way I can describe it is that I can't stand the thought of blood leaving my body. If I even have to have a tiny vial of blood drawn at the doctor's office for testing purposes, it takes the entire nursing staff to hold me down long enough to get it done. I start feeling sick just from thinking about it for too long.

It's not a rational thing at all. I'm not trying to argue with you about the merits of donating blood, and I've probably told you much more about myself than you wanted to know, so I apologize.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cristelli
United States
Milton
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I can't agree more with this...I give every chance that I can.

There are different types of donors as well. I am a "double red" donor. Because of my blood type and some other factors (hematocrit), I am able to give a whole pint of usable blood.

To simplify, a regular donor gives a "whole blood" donation. This means that the pint of blood that they take from you has all of your blood plasma still in it. This bag is then tested and separated using apheresis. I think it is two or three donors that are needed to make one pint of usable blood.

When a double red donor gives, we are hooked up to a machine that performs the apheresis, and puts the plasma back into our systems. So when we are done, the bag that is filled is pretty much a finished product.

Please, if you aren't giving blood already, look into it. If you are giving blood, see if you are eligible to be a double red donor. It's a nice feeling to drive away from the Red Cross and know that you could be saving a life that very day.

Edit to apologize in case I explained something wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hindman
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Leezer wrote:
I think it's a great thing to do, and I admire anyone who does it. But as far as me ever doing it, I can tell you right now that it's not gonna happen. It's not that I don't qualify. I hate this about myself, but I just can't get anywhere near even considering it for one second.

It's not a fear of needles. I don't mind getting shots at all. The best way I can describe it is that I can't stand the thought of blood leaving my body. If I even have to have a tiny vial of blood drawn at the doctor's office for testing purposes, it takes the entire nursing staff to hold me down long enough to get it done. I start feeling sick just from thinking about it for too long.

It's not a rational thing at all. I'm not trying to argue with you about the merits of donating blood, and I've probably told you much more about myself than you wanted to know, so I apologize.

Actually, I do get it. I've been a medical technologist for 13 years, and before that I was a phlebotomist, so I've spent a lot of time on the other end of the needle.

Look at it this way: ever since you've been little, it's been put forward that getting injured is a bad thing. And nothing would make Mom flip out more than the sight of blood. So the thought of injury/blood= BAD gets locked in there pretty early and pretty deeply. Then you get a bit older and start watching horror movies. The context of blood there is usually a violently ingenious death, again, not exactly something you want to be involved in. And I'm sure there are tone and tons of other things along those lines.

Then I get to come in and tell someone that I am going to put a very sharp piece of metal into them ON PURPOSE, and then I'm going to take out some of their blood, ON PURPOSE. And even though the rational mind can appreciate that the intent is to get information that the doctor can use to help you feel better, that other part of the brain tells you very loudly to RUN AWAY!!! That situation sucks for both parties.

So I think I kinda understand what you go through, at least from the dull end of the needle. Maybe getting involved on the organizational end of a blood drive would be something you could do! The need for blood and blood products is constant, and whatever you find that you can do to help insure that that supply is there when needed would be great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hindman
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rdonato926 wrote:
I can't agree more with this...I give every chance that I can.

There are different types of donors as well. I am a "double red" donor.

As a 4+ gallon donor and an occasional phersis platelet donor, I salute you sir! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My local blood donor service banned me. It's because my blood has a good self-preservation instinct, and refuses to rush out of my veins very quickly. So they can't get enough out in the time allocated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Culp
United States
Gillette
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I give blood when I can, but I hate when you go, ask if certain circumstances preclude you from giving blood (travel to various countries will do that for some time) and they say, no problem.

so you sit, give blood.

later you get a letter or phone call saying, "your blood not acceptable because you went to country X less than X months ago"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
June King
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Bring me her heart in this box.
mbmbmbmbmb
I encourage people to donate too. I used to regularly, but the medications I take (and my recent surgery) preclude me from donating anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chony McChuukface
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My mother-in-law has had 3 or 4 transfusions in the last 4 months due to cancer treatment. I share the same blood type, but cannot give because I had Hepatitis when I was younger.

I, and my wife, appreciate those who do give.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Sandall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would still give if they would use my blood. I have type A-.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
admin
All engines full to awesome land!
badge
*tap* *tap* Is this thing on?
mbmbmbmbmb
Ludocrazy wrote:
I encourage people to donate too. I used to regularly, but the medications I take (and my recent surgery) preclude me from donating anymore.

same here. 3 months before I can donate again. I started at college when we did a few drives on the recruiting fair we organized. hehe I hadn't sleep well the first time so I threw up a lot it was fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Jorgensen
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are pretty strict about donating down here. I wasn't able to a few years ago because I'd gotten a tattoo within a certain amount of time.

The thing is I know all about bloodborn lergies, and had picked my tattoo artist based on hygene standards. (as well as skill)

But I guess you can't be too careful with something like this. .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.