Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Doherty
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, just want to rant a bit here. I have been on the site for almost a year, was a paying patron last year, and am a massive participant in the forums area and have done some geekmodding as well. Yet in almost a year I still don't have enough to get an avatar and the only microbadge I've gotten besides free ones from contests on the site is my Union Pacific (yay!) one I got at Christmas last year in the free giveaway. IOW I've spent nothing and still barely have 20 GG. Does it seem excessively hard to anyone but me? That someone can visit here almost every day for a YEAR and not even be able to represent their profile as a full user of the site?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are a full user of the site.

But the more CONTRIBUTIONS to the site, the more you rack up GG. I've been here about a year and a half and have collected more than 6,000 GG. It depends on how much time/effort you will be willing to put into submitting stuff to BGG.

If you are desperate for GG, it sells pretty cheap in the auctions. Around 12 GG per $1 nowadays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
1 Review Written + 1 Image Uploaded = Limited geekgold

However, here is 1 geekgold for supporting BGG with your 2008 patron badge.

thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Game group needed...
mbmbmbmbmb
It is hard. The quality of submissions has also gone way way up over the past few years. I don't even bother submitting reviews anymore because mine suck compared to what other people are doing. It's getting harder and harder to submit content because someone will either beat you to the punch or do it better.

You can donate more to the Geek and get some more geekgold that way or just hold out until you donate for next year's submission. That should put you over the top.

You can also buy geekgold in the auctions, or auction something of yours in exchange for geekgold.

Or you can always panhandle in the BGG soup kitchen...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Beale-C
msg tools
Some activities earn more geekgold than others. Some don't seem to earn as much as they should. (Player aids, etc.) Are you doing the activities that earn you gg?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Terhune
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
This is a blatant example of frivolous geek gold spending.
badge
I spent 100 geek gold and all I got was this lousy overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
Reviews and session reports typically earn 2-4 each. Photos get 1. I have no idea how much files get, but it's probably at least 1.

The only you get from forum participation is tips, and those are rare.

Geekmod gets very little reward as well. The real reward of Geekmod is having quality content on the site; nobody does it for the cash.

Reviews, session reports, and photos are where the is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Strope
United States
kansas city
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It has gotten a lot harder than it used to be. You can try modding more often. That's become my primary source of GG income. It used to be listing ebay auctions, but that has become a waste of time. A good Geeklist will usually net you some tips. You can always auction stuff up in GG auctions. Depending on what you offer up, it can net you some large amounts of GG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GMOFreePortland.com
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
ii desu. It is good.
badge
No, I have no idea.
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of users, veteran and new alike are earning lots of GG here:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/46332.
Maybe you have a game in decent shape that you wouldn't mind parting with.

Another place to check out is RPGGeek. There is a ton of info still to be added.
http://rpg.geekdo.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clague
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
badge
I can see my house from here!
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely contributing content is the way to go. I have been a long-time lurker, and have only recently submitted 6 images - and got six shiny out of it. And it doesn't have to be for some brand new game no one has heard of yet either - my images were for Settlers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Royce Hix
United States
Mequon
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just submit a bunch of pictures of game components that are just like every other picture on the page. No need to be unique or put anything special in them. Seems that any time I use the 'decline similar' when I see those things go through, they get accepted anyways. So why not - 1 GG per picture is pretty extreme!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Jackson

APO
US Armed Forces - Pacific
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hend wrote:
Just submit a bunch of pictures of game components that are just like every other picture on the page. No need to be unique or put anything special in them. Seems that any time I use the 'decline similar' when I see those things go through, they get accepted anyways. So why not - 1 GG per picture is pretty extreme!

Yep, Hend understands it pretty well. That is exactly what I was going to say when I read the OP's post. It seems the best way to earn GG is just taking picture after picture of every.single.last.component for every game you own. Rich in no time. yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clague
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
badge
I can see my house from here!
mbmbmbmbmb
hend wrote:

Hmmm - I'm not sure if that was directed at my post immediately before about posting 6 Settlers images, but FWIW I don't think my images were a duplication of anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
I always tip 5x or more than the tips I receive, to help spread the love and encourage meaningful participation. But I don't tip posts that whine/complain about GeekGold. Others Obviously do though, so you should have that avatar in no time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Doherty
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Erniepaul wrote:
A lot of users, veteran and new alike are earning lots of GG here:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/46332.
Maybe you have a game in decent shape that you wouldn't mind parting with.

Awesome idea - I hadn't seen that thread - thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Doherty
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pete belli wrote:
1 Review Written + 1 Image Uploaded = Limited geekgold

However, here is 1 geekgold for supporting BGG with your 2008 patron badge.

thumbsup

Hey, thank you very much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Doherty
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cbs42 wrote:
I always tip 5x or more than the tips I receive, to help spread the love and encourage meaningful participation. But I don't tip posts that whine/complain about GeekGold. Others Obviously do though, so you should have that avatar in no time.

No need to be snarky about things. I think it's a valid point when someone as active on the site as me can still be without an avatar after a year. It says something about the way the site is setup and what's being rewarded. Is it really more valuable to post up pictures of game components than to post in the forums, providing advice to people investigating games to buy and the like? I don't think so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Philipp
United States
Muskego
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I concur.

I spent a ton of time writing an session report that won an award at year end for "being cooler than most everyone else", or something like that.

It was pages long.

It took hours to do.

My take at the time the geekmod approved it was 3 and some fraction GG.

Despite many request to do follow ups I intended to but did not. I juts uploaded 4 pics instead and that took just a few minutes.

It would be nice if there was a better way to reward people who put a lot of time into quality (which lacks here IMHO) instead of quantity (which is in abundance here IMHO).

A well crafted interesting story that may entice other to try a game or a bunch of illegal scans of cards from a game - hmmmmmmmm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
Rewarding forum posts is dangerous, though. There are a large number of people on the internet whom it's a bad idea to reward for simply talking more. If what you're saying is that the site would overall be better if people were a little more likely to use GG as a reward for GOOD content, you're probably right. Any thoughts on how to encourage that? I was going to suggest making the option more visible or prominent, but it does fit nicely with the thumb and block boxes, so I'm not sure what solution would be good. Perhaps an exhortation to be generous with GG when one is notified that one has earned it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Doherty
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just now posted up two games in the GG auction - Loot and Mr. Jack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cry moar n00b!

(couldn't resist)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Royce Hix
United States
Mequon
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
superbgg wrote:
hend wrote:

Hmmm - I'm not sure if that was directed at my post immediately before about posting 6 Settlers images, but FWIW I don't think my images were a duplication of anything.

No I didn't mean anything towards that in particular. It's just frustrating that reviews and session reports, regardless of how well written or the many minutes (or hours?) are put in to writing them, trying to inject humor and insight, can never earn more than 5GG. The most I've ever gotten for one was 3.2, though admittedly, I rarely spend more than an hour on one.

In comparison, if I were to open up a game or two, grab my fiancee's digital camera, snap five different pictures of components, the game box, the board, etc., send them on through GeekMod - I'll have quickly gained far more GG in far less time. It's nothing personal against anyone - it's just the way the system works, and if you play it right by taking a bunch of pictures, you'll have a nice sum of GG in relatively little time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. B.
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have a hot girlfriend and a camera?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Game group needed...
mbmbmbmbmb
hend wrote:
It's just frustrating that reviews and session reports, regardless of how well written or the many minutes (or hours?) are put in to writing them, trying to inject humor and insight, can never earn more than 5GG. The most I've ever gotten for one was 3.2, though admittedly, I rarely spend more than an hour on one.

Yep, and files are the unsung heroes. They actually help you to play the game and store your cards etc, and they rarely get thumbs, let alone GG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg von Lemberg
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bohemian wrote:
Do you have a hot girlfriend and a camera?

I have a hot camera and a girlfriend. Where do I line up for the GG?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
pdoherty wrote:
No need to be snarky about things.

I wasn't being snarky. I actually think you have a valid point. It took me almost 3 years to get my avatar ... but I didn't start a thread to complain about it.
(Ok, that was being snarky.)
laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.