Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: game_group [+] [View All]
Michael Hovan
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When there is a group meeting, should folks look to play only multi-player games or are two person games okay? What if two folks get into a "big" game that takes a few hours?

I think it doesn't matter, but suspect that others see it differently. So long as everyone gets to play and they get to play games they like, then it is all good.

What do you think? I suppose I could turn this into a poll, but do not want to put a lot of energy in deriving reasonable multiple guess choices......

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith "Boaty McBoatface" C
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have the space, then I don't see a problem. If it's limited space, then the restriction makes a bit more sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We pretty routinely have two-player wargames running at Bay Area Games Day and more than occasionally do at Silicon Valley Boardgamers. No problem at all except for tablespace issues and these issues rarely come up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hovan
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No space issues at our club. We have a huge room, lots of tables and chairs, and room to expand if needed.

Is it good / bad protocol to try to play at least one game with everyone who shows up? That can become a logistical nightmare the more there are - very factorial.

I don't want to be rude. I am the one who started the group and am hosting it in space where I attend church.

Thanks for the thoughts!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mlhovan wrote:
No space issues at our club. We have a huge room, lots of tables and chairs, and room to expand if needed.

Is it good / bad protocol to try to play at least one game with everyone who shows up? That can become a logistical nightmare the more there are - very factorial.

Let attendees bring games.

Let the group self-sort/self-organize regarding the games it wants to play. Don't exclude any games, unless they are offensive to members of the group.

There's no obligation to play every game brought to the session.

Take the time and patience to teach new gamers.

Avoid directing activity -- it's too hard, and risks annoying the gamers. .

I think if you follow these basics, you'll all have fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mendon Dornbrook
United States
Phoenix
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We let CCGers play at our board game night so the bar is set pretty low. I don't have any valuable input to give you, I just wanted to make a joke about CCGers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Jackson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the same worries when I started my game night recently. The first few weeks I was really worried about making sure everyone was ok and in a game. We had a bunch of new people showing up, often on their own, sometimes with little gaming experience. I was so busy trying to make sure everyone else was happy that I ended up not really getting to play anything I wanted to play. Since then I've tried to make sure I've got to play something and have had a couple of other regulars helping out with teaching duties. I think that's the key - you need enough people there who can teach things.

The bottom line for me is - if I'm not enjoying it then I may as well just stop. It may seem a little selfish but if people need babysitting every week then perhaps they should start with a smaller more intimate group.

So I guess the answer to your post is that 2 player games are fine, as are games that take all night. It would be very hard to play a game with everyone but as long as everyone gets to play a game then I'm sure everyone will be happy. If people aren't having fun they'll stop coming
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I don't like playing two-player games (except fillers) at group sessions because I go there to have a session with a group. I think as long as you have the table space and there are plenty of other people to form multi-player games, then who cares if you opt for a two-player? Even if you're the group organizer, how can everyone expect to have your attention throughout the night? MAYBE if you're organizing the group AND they're all new to the euro-game scene THEN you might feel a bit more compulsion to be more social and get involved with a group, but otherwise, let everyone fend for themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the answer sort of depends on where your group is in its growth, what it is promising to new attendees (either explicitly or implicitly), its relationship between the host and the guests, and your role in that. When our group was small and growing, as an organizer I tried to keep myself open to usher in the newbies with a good experience in hopes that they would come back for more. So often you would not see me getting into anything too deep, long or closed off. I wanted to be there and available in case any promising newbies showed up so that I could be the welcome wagon by dispatching them into grouping up for games or handling them in an "overflow" game.

I figured that the regulars that stuck around could take care of themselves. As the group grew I found that I could relax and begin to lose myself in a game and not worry too much about entertaining the newbies. The main thing that allowed me to relax and not worry about it was that the group got bigger and that quite a number of the regulars also took on the roles of organizers. They seemed to understand that it was important to our growth that once in a while they make themselves open to show the newbies a good time. If enough people take on this role once in a while then it becomes more like recruitment and growing the group and less like baby-sitting.

Nowadays we're big enough that I can really relax and get myself lost in long, deep or closed off two-player games if I want to. Anything goes really. Thanks to a little sacrifice in the beginning and a whole lot of help from like-minded regulars that stuck around, we don't really think about taking care of the newbies. Things just seem to take care of themselves now, but it wasn't always that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.