Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

All Things Zombie: The Boardgame» Forums » General

Subject: OK... Convince me. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patiently waiting for the zombie apocalypse...
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All,

Now as my avatar, microbadge, and geek badge suggests, zombies are a subject I find fun. I read zombie books, watch zombie movies, and of course play zombie games. Now I'm a big fan of LNoE. My group has had some really memorable sessions with LNoE. ATZ just recently jumped into my sights. I missed the talk about this upcoming board game until a week ago. shake

However, after reading all the conversation on ATZ, I understand this game has been in planning/production for quite some time. Now the length of time for development is a concern. It could either mean 'we are fine tuning an awesome game' or 'this game is broken and we need to try and fix it'. I'm hoping that the former is the case, but I'm a bit on the fence with ATZ.

I'm afraid ATZ will be another Blackbeard. Hugely anticipated, but was ultimately a major disappointment for many who had pre-ordered it. So what made you guys who already have pre-ordered it, it was a P-500 game, take the plunge? Convince please. I really want to order... but.... I'm a bit nervous about gambling 60 dollars on a game that could turn out to be a turd. Should I pre-order now or wait for reviews...?

Any feedback is apperciated,

Randall

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gray
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I took the plunge on the basis of the miniatures rules the game is based on, All Things Zombie from Two Hour Wargames. That was an Origins award winner and a great deal of fun including a good campaign system. Translating that to a boardgame format would expand the opportunities to use the system. A secondary factor is that Lock 'n Load has a good track record in producing tactically oriented games such as Day of Heroes. The two together hold out a lot of promise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I preordered it over a year ago and was really looking forward to it. But after reading some more about it not 100% sure its a game I'll enjoy. I do really like Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game but this appears to be quite different. I decided to keep my order though I've considered cancelling it several times. Since I got it a fair amount cheaper then its current price I don't feel bad if its not my cup of tea. I can probably resell it for near what I paid for it. The current new price is pretty high. If I was you I'd wait for reviews first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin McCleary
United States
Huachuca City
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I preordered it on a lark. Had never heard of the mini system it's based on. I just wanted something fun and different. The combat system description intrigued me.

Still, if you're not sure then just wait. Like BB those who get it and don't like it will move it quickly to someone else. Since it appears you've missed the preorder phase, and hence any savings, why gamble?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bourgeois
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CM Randall wrote:
All,

Now as my avatar, microbadge, and geek badge suggests, zombies are a subject I find fun. I read zombie books, watch zombie movies, and of course play zombie games. Now I'm a big fan of LNoE. My group has had some really memorable sessions with LNoE. ATZ just recently jumped into my sights. I missed the talk about this upcoming board game until a week ago. shake

However, after reading all the conversation on ATZ, I understand this game has been in planning/production for quite some time. Now the length of time for development is a concern. It could either mean 'we are fine tuning an awesome game' or 'this game is broken and we need to try and fix it'. I'm hoping that the former is the case, but I'm a bit on the fence with ATZ.

I'm afraid ATZ will be another Blackbeard. Hugely anticipated, but was ultimately a major disappointment for many who had pre-ordered it. So what made you guys who already have pre-ordered it, it was a P-500 game, take the plunge? Convince please. I really want to order... but.... I'm a bit nervous about gambling 60 dollars on a game that could turn out to be a turd. Should I pre-order now or wait for reviews...?

Any feedback is apperciated,

Randall

I don't think there is a whole heck of a lot to know about the game right now. The feel I get for it is that if you like Lock'n'Load's wargame selection then you'll probably have a good feel for the game at the start.

I think this is supposed to be a direct translation of ruleset to zombie wargame. So no minis or 3d terrain... rather it's counters and flat maps and perhaps a little more and less versatility. I really think this is a game with a chance to be great. It just needs the right set of heads playing it at the start. If you don't like a)wargames and b)zombie themed games then this won't float your boat.

Honestly that's all I know about it right now. Read the battle report about it and see if it sounds intriguing. Go to TwoHourWargames and talk to Ed... send him an email to give you the basics on the game... or heck... he's online here as well... look him up and ask for the skinny.

I think it's worth it.

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Trouten
United States
Davison
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the LnL games are pretty solid games, I dotn think I have run across one that isnt. Yes ATZ has been in the announced stage for over a year, but it should be shipping around/just after Halloween for all of us who pre-ordered.

If I understand the reasons for the delay correctly, they are 1) the game was originally based on the ATZ ver. 1 rules and when Ed came out with ATZ ver. 2 they updated the boardgames rules, 2) not all the ATZ miniature wargame rules are able to transfer over to a boardgame, so they had to do some tweakign to the rules, 3) LnL didnt want to rush the game and put out an inferior product, this is an opportunity for both LnL and THW to create a lastign business partnership, if ATZ is even mildly successful LnL and THW could team up again and release other THW games in boardgame format, say Dead Heat, 5150 or Friday Night Fights, 4) LnL wants to take their time putting out a quality product, this game is a way for them to expand their product lines out away from just having Military Combat games, and as such you want to make sure it isnt poorly illustrated/put together.

IIRC you can still order ATZ at the discounted price (havent been to the LnL site in a coupel weeks so I dont know if they are now charging the pre-order price still or the full price).

I placed my order right after it was initially announced, even with the delays was still planning on getting it, have both ATZ1 and ATZ2 (along with the Haven expansion, and will get the Lazarus Project when Ed finally releases it, he pushed it back in order to fix some stuff that he didnt like, or that might have been initially missed in the initial playtesting).

Ultimately its your decision on whether or not to get the game. Even if it doesnt live up to what everyone is hoping it will be, you could still use the double sided maps and tokens for quick set up regular ATZ games using the THW rules, just ignoring the stats on the tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Myers
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My philosophy is to always wait for reviews and then buy. The bugs and other incongruencies in rules/gameplay will have been faq'd by other players by that point and I can incorporate that into the rules from the start.

Also, I'm content to wait and buy. The days when I had to have a new game immediately are behind me now. (...as are the days when I had a larger disposible income. )

That being said, I am very excited to see this game released... the idea of the strategic part of the game incorporated w/ the tactical battles are the very thing I love most (and don't get to see very often in zombie games, especially).

Add just enough rpg to make it unique and give the game a broad-reaching storyline = sweet, imho.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well... I think I'm going to cool my heals a bit. I am interested in seeing how the game is reviewed. I do hope all who pre-ordered it will be very happy with the product.

Thanks to those who responded.

Patiently waiting the reviews,

Randall

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Teixeira
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Ed from THW here. Here's the latest concerning the game, not the status of printng as that's a LnL thing.

1 - The game was originally based on ATZ 1 but during the pre-sale time (it was a year) ATZ 2 came out with smoother mechanics. This caused the board game to be revised. The upside is you'll get a better game.

2 - Correct, not all mini game rules transfer over to a board game. Fortunately for us Mark is a board game genius where I am not. So he had to first tweak the rules then sell me on the changes and he has. It's a great game and unlike anything that's out there mainly because you can play it over and over and get a different result each time. It's not a game where once you've played it you know where all the tricks and traps are. In ATZ you don't!

3 - There's an old saying, "Do you want it right or do you want it right now?". In this case it was important to get it right. Besides those of you that pre-ordered will get it first, at a cheaper price,and are guaranteed to get it. There are only so many being made and when they're gone, well, maybe there will be a second print run, but there's no guarantees.

4 - This is not a military game and requires more cool artwork, maps, etc. And LnL has delivered. The counters are very good and the map is top of the line.

As for the Lazarus Project, it was pushed back because of the new NUTS! WW 2 game, Colonial Lemuria and some other books that needed to be produced first. No play testing issues at all. The THW mechanics are golden.
While everyone is waiting go over to www.twohourwargames.com and download the two free full blown wargame rules Chain Reaction 3.0 and Swordplay.

One more thing, the board game is a kick butt board game with great looking counters and maps that can be used to play the ATZ mini game as well.

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ed,

Thanks for the information. I'm still keeping it in my cross hairs, but since I just purchased Space Hulk... I might need to convince the wife to buy ATZ....

I'm hoping this is a great product.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.