Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Sekela
United States
Camp Lejeune
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone come up with any good ways to handle placing new influence markers on the board if players have agreed to a 5-season game?

Just started playing this with a new group and we are really enjoying it. Although I've played several times in the past, I've never done a 5th campaign season. Some of the guys commented that it would be cool to do a 5-season play (more time for political maneuvering, using your "once-per-season cards, and of course having battles with those cool dice...). Didn't see anything in rules, FAQs, or threads here on BGG that directly address this question.

There are a couple of ways to go about it, I guess:

1) When you run out, just skip this step (let everyone just fight over the existing markers!);

2) Mix the starting influence markers back into the draw pile immediately after players have staked their initial claims during game set-up;

3) When you run out, just randomly draw the necessary amount of influence from the previously discarded pile.

I could see option 1 being kind of cool - lots of combat.

Out of option 2 and 3, I would think #3 would be better - since it would even out the distribution more over the course of the game.

Guess it really doesn't matter all that much - I'm sure we'll agree on something. We were able to get a full 6-player game of four seasons done in just over 4 hours. Now that the guys have two plays under their belts, I wouldn't think a 5-season game should last more than 4-5 hours...

Anyone else have any general comments on a 5-season game? I don't imagine there would be any other complications/peculiarities, but you never know...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With [6] players I believe we run out in the 4th Campaign Season. Influence is a limited resource, once the pool has run dry, there are no more. We use the 5th Campaign Season as something like "OT" (overtime). We only go into the 5th Campaign Season if one non-leading player is within 5 VP's of the leader, or if two or more non-leading players are within 10 VP's of the leader. There are only [66] total open Influence Markers included in the game (if memory serves), and that is, IMHO, all that there are meant to be. The reason I talk about the 5th Campaign Season as OT is that in our experience, if the game doesn't stay close through the 4th Campaign Season, and especially if one player is dominating Italia/Rome, then the last Campaign Season is just a long exercise in futility. We have found it very hard to play "catch-up" in this game. In fact, because the game is so long already, if enough players capitulate to the point where fewer than four active players remain, we declare Caesar right then and there...whoever is the leader at that point in VP's, as long as we have reached the end of a Campaign Season, is declared the Winner and the New Caesar!

Most of our games are 6+ hours long with [6] players.

Cheers! (SFRR)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sekela
United States
Camp Lejeune
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott,

I think you're right as far as just letting the influence run out. Guess we'll have to vote on that if/when we decide to ever do a 5th season.

As far as the 5th campaign season being strictly "overtime", that's a pretty interesting idea. On the other hand, would be kind of cool to know from the beginning of the game if you are going for 5 seasons - I think that would have significant impact on a lot of actions, especially in choosing conquest cards. (Of course, like you say, you'll have to be prepared for a LONG game!)

Thanks very much for your feedback. Too bad you live so far away - would be cool to play some of those AT classics!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zordren wrote:
Scott,

I think you're right as far as just letting the influence run out. Guess we'll have to vote on that if/when we decide to ever do a 5th season.

As far as the 5th campaign season being strictly "overtime", that's a pretty interesting idea. On the other hand, would be kind of cool to know from the beginning of the game if you are going for 5 seasons - I think that would have significant impact on a lot of actions, especially in choosing conquest cards. (Of course, like you say, you'll have to be prepared for a LONG game!)

Thanks very much for your feedback. Too bad you live so far away - would be cool to play some of those AT classics!

...you'd be welcome anytime to our group. The reason we have limited a 5th Campaign Season to "OT" is simply that we have found that once a considerable lead is built up, it's just too hard to overtake the leader without being fairly close. In our last game two players were within the required 10 VP's of the leader to force OT / 5th Campaign Season. We actually argued for awhile before proceeding over our own house rule because the leading player had something like [12] influence markers in Rome/Italia, about [9] votes worth of senator cards, and both Italia market cards; in short he was vastly rich, influential, and militarily powerful. We played it out. I was behind by about 20 VP's, went 2nd to last in the last round of the 5th / OT Campaign Season, and actually made up a very respectable 65 VP's. We all still lost miserably to the VP leader from the previous round. I suppose everyone plays these games for their own reasons, but none of us enjoy a run away, or games that aren't close, tense, nail-biters. We all kind of felt, even though we really like the game, that we wasted the last hour and a half of play on a foregone conclusion.

Cheers! Have fun... (SFRR)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.