Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Fling
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this game any fun? It looks very interesting, maybe a little on the comical side. Is it hard to learn? What games does it compare to. Some of my favorite games are War of the Ring, Middle Earth quest. Starcraft Board game, Axis & Allies, Ticket to Ride and Risk. Im just trying to figure out if this game would fit in my collection nicely or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molnar
United States
Ridgewood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Joe - I enjoyed the game. But, my tastes are somewhat different from yours. My advice is to get some geekbuddies. These do not have to be people you know, just people who comment on a lot of games, whose tastes are similar to yours and/or whose opinions you respect. Then when you hear about a new game like Small World, you go to that game's page and click on "Analyze", and it shows you just your geekbuddies' ratings and comments on the game, which can be a lot easier to make sense of than hundreds or even thousands of ratings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
I must think over my position and how I may improve it.
mb
It's not hard to learn if you can handle WotR.

People may fling mud at me for saying so, but I rate it as slightly more entertaining than Risk. If you like Risk, I say pull the trigger. But there's really nothing for me to think about while my opponents plan out their numerically perfect and annoyingly long turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's from Days of Wonder and follows the same formula most of their games do. Low complexity for gamers. A step up for non-gamers. Great production values. My group loves it. I don't understand when I hear about people complaining about downtime and long turns. Those people SHOULD play something else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Witt
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Small World looked interesting to me but I had no plans on buying until I played my friends copy, once I did I picked up a copy for myself. My wife and I enjoy playing the with two players but I feel it plays just as well for 2-5. The game is light, quick and can usually be played in 30 to 40 min for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

It is fun with three plus players but not really with two.

I have played it so many times with three and just as many times with two (always trying to find a good variant for the latter), but it wins hands down with three.

Regards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Start with Risk.

Subtract almost all of the dice-luck, add in variable player powers and terrain modifiers. Cut the play time to about an hour (although a lot of that will come from the eliminated dice-rolling) so the gameplay feels a lot lighter.

Oh, and -- at least in my opinion -- add in a lot more fun.

You have Small World.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a problem with this Risk comparison in that it's misleading as to the point of the game. Risk is about crushing everyone else and amassing more and more armies. Small World is about gaining points and conquering land does do that, but many players have special ways they might also gain points. Also, in SW you're not amassing more and more armies. You just do the best with what you start with and then move on to another "nation". Oh, and in SW there's no Australia to conquer first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bertrand d
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes real fun.

It plays really nice with non players and kids who want to discover a firts game where they think !

It is far less complex than War of the Ring and can compare with Risk without dices.

Played in 2,3,4 and 5 players and must say it is real good fun from 3 (but not bad at 2 players)

It needs 1h30 to be completed and that is rather shorter than most games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Linsey
United States
Hudson
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've played twice and think it's fun, but your mileage may vary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.