Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I am not typically interested in this type of game, but I do have a soft spot for dark themes and sci-fi stuff, and it was available here so I grabbed it and have had a few games and it's grown on me. I think it will stay around to be played from time to time, but after 2 games, I am already really sick of the models. They are too large and unwieldy for the space they need to occupy. The marines are bad enough but the gene stealers are absurd. Some of them are nearly two squares long and in a mission like Suicide Mission where they get stacked heavily in the halls, it gets to be really annoying as they snag eachother's limbs while grabbing one and they all fall over.

I wish to try and find decent looking replacement models which are smaller. 3/4 size would be great, but I can handle as small as half size perhaps. If they looked cool and filled the same purpose, that would be great, but TBH I would just as soon use wooden cubes except that I need to convey which type of gear a given character has...

If anyone has the same qualms and has come up with any interested solutions, I'd love to see what people are doing.

And please let's not turn this into a debate about how I should like the models how they are or suggestions on ways to make the models work better, such as heavier bases. It won't address the size complaint and I'm just interested in hearing alternate model ideas in this thread.

Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Grey
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably cost you around $100 in older school models for Terminators alone, but you can get replacements easy. Box of 5 standard for $50. You'll need one with double claws, a librarian, a flamer an assault cannon and 2 sergeants (one with hammer and shield and one with bolter and sword).

Genestealers you can get older school on eBay from sets of Battle for Macragge. Pretty good prices doing it there.

If you sell your stuff on eBay, you might even out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyoko Steeple
United States
Columbia
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've done the math, and full retail (USD) for all the figures included in the game would be $240 brand-new. Now, you can get 20% off retail if you order from someone like TheWarStore, and you can probably pick the models up even cheaper on eBay. (Bonus: if you eBay, you can piece out the Terminators you need instead of buying a box of 5 and kitbashing the weapons.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the size difference like between these and these "old school terminators"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Hoppe
Denmark
Frederiksberg
flag msg tools
What are you, like 80?
badge
It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage.
mbmbmbmbmb
jrebelo wrote:
Some of them are nearly two squares long and in a mission like Suicide Mission where they get stacked heavily in the halls, it gets to be really annoying as they snag eachother's limbs while grabbing one and they all fall over.

It isn't easy being a genestealer! They can't even scratch their ears without danger of stabbing themselves in the brain with 12 inches of steely claw... gulp

How about meeples (lots of different shapes and sizes)? Little Lego figures? Get a copy of 1st ed. SH and use the figures from that game? Small dinosaur models from the local toy shop, that sort of thing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok. Looking at GW's store I got the following. A box of 5 Terminators os 50$ US. A box of 8 Genestealers is 30$. You'd need 2 boxes of Terminators and 2-3 boxes of Genestealers. Thats between 190 to 160$ More if you want to replace the Librarian.

The models are built to *generally* fit a 1 inch/2.5cm square base. Though I've heard that some of the Terminators exceed this.

You can find boxes on e-bay for under 50. Sometimes 20-30. Same for Genestealers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hultgren
Sweden
flag msg tools
40k epic scaled Terminators are pretty meeples like and may fit a farmer types sensibilities more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone addressed the OP's issue of the models being too large? I don't think buying new models from Games Workshop will solve the issue, as they're exactly the same size… or are you seriously saying that the Space Hulk models are larger than normal GW minis?

Seriously, if you want
1) smaller figures
and
2) customizeable in terms of weapons and gear

I suggest you follow Hoppe's idea and go for lego figures. The fit nicely on, are smaller and customizeable. However, they're pretty expensive if you buy them per piece. Perhaps you can find some nice combination from space Lego. For genestealers… I guess you could use the "knight Lego" skeletons, they come in a bunch. Or a bag o'zombies from Twilight Creations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hultgren
Sweden
flag msg tools
Zimeon wrote:
Has anyone addressed the OP's issue of the models being too large? I don't think buying new models from Games Workshop will solve the issue, as they're exactly the same size… or are you seriously saying that the Space Hulk models are larger than normal GW minis?

I suggested 40k Epic models. I guess I need to mention that they are much smaller then the normal 40k scale, The problem may be that they are too small rather, then the other way around, but they should atleast look more suitable then wooden cubes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Im assuming he means too large as in both top heavy and too sprawling.

Standard GW Terminators and Genestealers tend to have a smaller footptint than these things have.

It doesnt solve the occasional genestealer tangles, but could lessen it to some degree.

A cheaper alternative for those openminded folk out there...

Pick up the papercraft Hybrid Brood Stalkers here.
http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=54885
And the Terra Force Marines here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about FIMO?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Buckle
United Kingdom
Thornton Heath
Croydon
flag msg tools
designer
NSKN are publishing my next game :)
badge
Omega Centauri Published in 2014
mbmbmbmbmb
Em4 (in the UK) do a small range of plastic sci-fi figures and the 'Space Rangers' are pretty good as alternate Terminators, you get some heavy weapons (choice of which weapon to use on the sprue) and they are about 2/3 the size of the Terminators in SH (and come on a standard round slota-base), and they are really cheap (compared to GW, yes the sculpts aren't as detailed but you get what you pay for ...)

http://www.em4miniatures.com/acatalog/Science_Fiction.html

Just need an alternate for the stealers now ....

[Edit] Oh, and they do sand-timers too, so if you want to ditch the whole redraw the CP mechanic and go back to losing time you can buy some alternate timers ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Found some Aliens toys on Amazon. Dunno if they're the right scale, tho:
http://www.amazon.com/HorrorClix-Alien-Predator-Seven-Figure...

Space Marine Assault won't be easy to find, but it has the 1st edition genestealers, which were MUCH easier to use as game pieces, and space marines: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/25750

Oh, and sell off your miniatures. You should get $100 or so if you sell 'em separately!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Thrower
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The answer to this is pretty simple. Get some 2nd edition space hulk plastic terminators. They were included in the 40k editions of the day and so are common as muck on Ebay, and cheap. They're also 25mm scale rather than the 28/30mm scale GW uses nowadays. Doesn't sound like a lot but it translates into being a full head and shoulders shorter than the current models - not quite a small as you wanted, but a significant difference nevertheless.

There were similarly scaled Genestealer plastics around from the same era and they're similarly common and cheap.

You'll be missing Thunder Hammer, Chain First and Assault Cannon marines if you just buy plastics. So either proxy by painting the bases different colours or get some old Terminator metals. They're rarer and more expensive but not ball-breakingly so and they're in the same, smaller 25mm scale.

This should give you some idea of the scale difference. Current terminator scale is second in from the left, and the 2nd edition model is next to it. Bear in mind that most of the SH marines have armour ornamentation that makes them even bigger than the 40mm model in this picture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
mbmbmbmbmb
MattDP wrote:
They're also 25mm scale rather than the 28/30mm scale GW used since the mid-90's.

Fixed it for you

And I know these where mid-90's models. These where when the Terminators where smaller than the art showed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pete lovatt
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
petegrey wrote:
Probably cost you around $100 in older school models for Terminators alone, but you can get replacements easy. Box of 5 standard for $50.

wow, the plastic box over here is £25 (and i think that is hugely expensive), the exchange rate if i'm not mistaken is $1.61 to £1 so how is it you guys are still paying $50?
if the exchange rate was still at $1.96 to £1 then perhaps but blimey gw are seriously ripping you guys off! sorry for the derail there but that shocked me somewhat.

To answer someones question about size of the old metals and the new plastics.the plastics are Bigger!
stood next to each other its noticable definitely, they're just taller and have bigger arms/legs not just in length but in thickness.
i've compared against the old terminator captain and the old wolf guard and chaos marine termi's
i've also noticed the new terminator chaplain is in the new scale he makes my terminator captain look like a teenager playing with the big boys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind that it's not a straight monetary conversion. Some items may be shipped across the pond, raising costs. Plus, they have to earn ta minimum in Stirling to break even, so the price is set poorly to make the exchange rate more robust. Don't forget the dollar has improved on Stirling a lot over the last eight months.

The same reasons are why games like Descent are more expensive than Space Hulk over here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Pollari
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Justin.

I bought a cheap Space Hulk (board & rule set) for from e-bay.
Since it lacked the miniatures I desided to make them by my self.
I spended two evenings with Photoshop and made up a set of graphics
for my wooden terminators.

If you are interested I can send a printed A4 sticker printsheet with these graphics. All you need is 12 blocks for the marines & 22 for the Tyranids (3cm x 3cm).

You can find a picture of my counters amongst the latest uploaded pictures/creative: Graphics for wooden cubes

ImageID: 572071

If you enlarge the picture, you can see the weapon symbols.
These graphics have served me so far so good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Sulin
United States
Lombard
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't want your minis I will take them off your hands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bucklen_uk wrote:
Em4 (in the UK) do a small range of plastic sci-fi figures and the 'Space Rangers' are pretty good as alternate Terminators, you get some heavy weapons (choice of which weapon to use on the sprue) and they are about 2/3 the size of the Terminators in SH (and come on a standard round slota-base), and they are really cheap (compared to GW, yes the sculpts aren't as detailed but you get what you pay for ...)

I was going to recommend these as well. You really cannot beat them. They're incredibly cheap with a reasonable quality for the cost. You get 5 figures, including a Sergeant with Sword and Pistol and 4 Squad members. There are seven weapons for these guys included, three different heavy weapons and four of the smaller rifle. You can easily mimic the basic Space Hulk squad with this set-up.

They're nowhere near as nice as the Games Workshop models, but consider that they'll only cost you about 10% a much. I've seen recommendations for the current boxed Terminators, but these will run you $50 a box and aren't going to address your size concerns as the size would be pretty comparable to the SH minis. You can get the Space Rangers for much cheaper - I have three squads of them and the total cost was under $20, shipped, as I recall (or maybe a hair over).

The only real drawback is you have to do some work to get the close combat guys (Hammer & Shield dude, Claw dude and Chainfist dude) as well as the Librarian. These guys won't be easily customizable.

As far as Genestealers, the 1st Edition models are great. I'm not sure about prices on them, but they are a great sculpt and are a hair smaller than the current SH Stealers. I actually intend to set-up a mix of the 1st Edition stealers with the new SH Stealers, as several of the new sculpts just rub me the wrong way. There is a bit of stylistic variation, but I figure a race like the Genestealers probably would have some variation across individuals so I think it'll work OK.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
Im assuming he means too large as in both top heavy and too sprawling.

Standard GW Terminators and Genestealers tend to have a smaller footptint than these things have.

It doesnt solve the occasional genestealer tangles, but could lessen it to some degree.

A cheaper alternative for those openminded folk out there...

Pick up the papercraft Hybrid Brood Stalkers here.
And the Terra Force Marines here.

Thoes papercraft minis look pretty cute. Wish they had some actual pictures of them printed out instead of just "CG" images.. I think the Terra Force Elite Marines might be a good fit also.

http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=61625

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Grey
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick Reaction Force has some 15mm Alien-esque colonial marines and alien sculpts. Not particularly well-detailed, but with a little paint and TLC, I can see these looking pretty cool.

Ground Zero Games has 25mm nicely detailed, but at a premium.

Khurasan Miniatures has very nicely detailed 15mm aliens/marines as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Grotius
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gee, I like the slightly over-large size of the models on the game board, and I haven't really had much of a problem moving or handling them even in a crowded mission. Insofar as the stealers do occasionally scratch and bump each other, I like it -- it adds to the sense of chaos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
cadamec wrote:
To OP:

1. Purchase several sets of 'farmer meeples' and 'animeeples'. Use those instead.

2. Send me those unwanted Space Hulk mini's. I will take care of them.

Thanks.

While I personally love the models (almost ready to dip my marines!), I may whip out my Agricola just to try this once.

For the Emperor and Sanguinius, Die Gene Stealing Sheep Die!!!

Die you Pig of an alien! Die Die Die you Cow!!! Oh no, Farmer Brown went down! Farmer Red, we need flamer support now!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Grey
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grotius wrote:
Gee, I like the slightly over-large size of the models on the game board, and I haven't really had much of a problem moving or handling them even in a crowded mission. Insofar as the stealers do occasionally scratch and bump each other, I like it -- it adds to the sense of chaos.

GS handling annoys me. I use the same 3-4 sculpts over and over whenever I can, the two GS springing from the floor being my favorites for handling. Otherwise they nag onto each other and topple over constantly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.