BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Publisher didn't reply to e-mail - what to do? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian Berge
Norway
flag msg tools
Hi all

I sent an e-mail with a description of my game to a publisher, but they didn't answer. It's more than a year ago I sent the e-mail, so I'm now pretty sure that they won't answer it. What do you think I should do now? I don't know if no answer means that they didn't like my game, or if my e-mails (I've sent two) have been catched by a spam filter or disappeared. I don't want to spam them with more e-mails if they are not interrested in my game, but I can't know for sure if they have read my e-mails or not...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clearly the next step is to make a geeklist to make them notice you...

I would have sent a followup email a month or so after the unanswered first email. But I don't know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
Non vi sed virtute, not armis sed arte paritur victoria.
badge
e^{i · π} + 1 = 0
mb
Erm, why not giving them a call and ask them directly?

Contact info:
http://www.zmangames.com/contact.htm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No one takes the time to read anymore.
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Email other publishers, but:

2. Make your game yourself and demo it at conventions and tell interested parties that you are looking for a publisher.

3. Make your game yourself and email the publisher you contacted again with pictures or video explaining the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Collier
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's been a year I'm pretty sure they don't remember you. Also if you emailed your idea again there's always a chance that a different person would be reading it and they might actually like your idea. Beyond that the other people in this thread have great ideas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Berge
Norway
flag msg tools
Do you know if publishers usually reply to e-mails even if they don't like your idea? Or do they get so many new ideas that they only have time to answer just a few e-mails?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
Non vi sed virtute, not armis sed arte paritur victoria.
badge
e^{i · π} + 1 = 0
mb
kvakk wrote:
Do you know if publishers usually reply to e-mails even if they don't like your idea? Or do they get so many new ideas that they only have time to answer just a few e-mails?

I reckon there's no such animal as a specific way in which a game publisher acts; I would also say that is more a question of good manners to reply to email even if the design is to be turned down.

The only reasonable explanation is that your email was missed (the person responsible for answering emails was on vacation, sick leave, whetever) and now is lost forever. The best you can do is to contact them directly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
obese man
msg tools
Hello
I have read that Game Comapnies ignore unsolicited mail. So maybe get yourself an agent, and they can forward the idea on your behalf.

Regards Obeseman

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
d10-1 Have you checked (their website) to see if they accepted unsolicited designs? Some companies certainly do work via specific agents.
d10-2 I would have though a real piece of mail including a postage paid addressed envelope would show a higher level of interest to a publisher than an email (which may not have even got through)
d10-3 Bear in mind some people go and physically see publishers (which can be difficult if you are in a different country or hemisphere) or send them playable prototypes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Collins
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd also recommend calling them. Then follow up that phone call with an e-mail to

1) document the call

2) take any follow-up action you may be asked to take (provide more info, etc.).

3) provide your full contact information in a written form

In any case, it's poor form for someone not to reply, assuming they got your e-mail- and that's the BIG assumption and problem with e-mail. It could be something as simple as a SPAM filter...

If all else fails, move on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mindes
United States
Mountain Green
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kvakk wrote:

If you send your idea in the form of a one page sell sheet...

Then seth@tastyminstrelgames.com will take a look at it and see if it is anything we might be interested in.

make sure you let us know about the type of game, mechanics, total components, target audience, rules complexity, etc.

We usually respond fairly quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DrMayhem wrote:
kvakk wrote:

Then seth@tastyminstrelgames.com will take a look at it and see if it is anything we might be interested in.

make sure you let us know about the type of game, mechanics, total components, target audience, rules complexity, etc.

As a person who receives submissions, I can tell you that I do try and reply to each sender to let them know I received their email. Sometimes I can tell right away that we are not interested in a game, other times it will take some time, so I can't guarantee it - but I try to reply anyway letting you know that I got the email.

If I do not reply right away, I apologize - sometimes things are busy! However, that doesn't necessarily mean we're not interested in the game.

But if I were a betting man, I'd wager that MOST of the time, if we are interested in the game you would get a reply fairly soon requesting more information. So a "no reply" is likely to mean we weren't interested (or possibly that the email and/or the idea got lost in the shuffle).

Sorry to say it, but I think that's the reality of the situation.

- Seth
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mindes
United States
Mountain Green
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:
DrMayhem wrote:
kvakk wrote:

As a person who receives submissions, I can tell you that I do try and reply to each sender to let them know I received their email. Sometimes I can tell right away that we are not interested in a game, other times it will take some time, so I can't guarantee it - but I try to reply anyway letting you know that I got the email.

If I do not reply right away, I apologize - sometimes things are busy! However, that doesn't necessarily mean we're not interested in the game.

But if I were a betting man, I'd wager that MOST of the time, if we are interested in the game you would get a reply fairly soon requesting more information. So a "no reply" is likely to mean we weren't interested (or possibly that the email and/or the idea got lost in the shuffle).

Sorry to say it, but I think that's the reality of the situation.

- Seth

Also...

Tasty Minstrel Games is likely to be on a schedule of publishing 3-5 games per year. We are striving to publish nothing that is short of amazing, so we need to limit the titles to put in the necessary work. Considering the number of submissions we receive, MOST of the time we will not be interested in a game.

However, if we are interested... Then good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.