Subject: Rule clarification questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nikolas Moore
Australia
Toowong
Queensland
flag msg tools
I don't know how many people actually play this game now but I do like it and just for fun am working on a Windows application that allows it to be played.

There are a few areas of ambiguity in the rules, as there are with many games. Mainly they are minor points. I'm interested to know what people do in the following situations:

* Two Tucker Bag cards require you to use a Drought marker though they are not actually droughts: Severe Infestation and Grass Fires. Does Rain allow you to remove the drought marker for these? I have always assumed that it does not. Also, with one of these, how much do Haystacks cost? I would assume $500 as again it is not technically a Drought (but $1000 if you are on Bore Dries Up, which is broken by rain).

* If you already have a drought marker and are told to sell stock for a different reason (one of the above two) do you have to sell stock? I have assumed that you do.

* Several cards give you a 20% increases on your next sale of stock. Does this apply if you have to sell stock for $200, $300 or $500 per pen (due to Drought, Tucker Bags or Bore Dries Up). I would play it that you do not need to use such a card in this case, especially as it would be less beneficial than usual.

* Can you move pens of sheep between pastures even if on drought? I would have assumed so. This is relevant if you have a mixture of types of pastures.

* It is possible to buy pens of sheep and get an unexpectedly high buying price beyond your means. Can you sell some of the pens you are buying at $400 a pop to pay the debt? (I have assumed yes.)

* If before you buy you have under 8 pens of sheep, are you allowed to mortgage?

* This isn't a rule clarification question, but any idea why Flood Damage does not end a Drought or Bore Dries Up?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
captainTheo wrote:
I don't know how many people actually play this game now but I do like it and just for fun am working on a Windows application that allows it to be played.
Just remember the designer and his son are still around and marketing this game. If not for personal use only, there could be rights issues.

captainTheo wrote:
* Two Tucker Bag cards require you to use a Drought marker though they are not actually droughts: Severe Infestation and Grass Fires. Does Rain allow you to remove the drought marker for these? I have always assumed that it does not.
No rain would not allow you to remove the drought marker, there is no drought. The drought marker is just being used as an indication of a natural disaster.

captainTheo wrote:
Also, with one of these, how much do Haystacks cost? I would assume $500 as again it is not technically a Drought (but $1000 if you are on Bore Dries Up, which is broken by rain).
As above you are not in drought.

captainTheo wrote:
* If you already have a drought marker and are told to sell stock for a different reason (one of the above two) do you have to sell stock? I have assumed that you do.
You are "told" to sell stock, so yes you do.

captainTheo wrote:
* Several cards give you a 20% increases on your next sale of stock. Does this apply if you have to sell stock for $200, $300 or $500 per pen (due to Drought, Tucker Bags or Bore Dries Up). I would play it that you do not need to use such a card in this case, especially as it would be less beneficial than usual.
I have played these cards as optional and I am pretty sure that they are. 20% is 20% though and it is easy to get replacements...

captainTheo wrote:
* Can you move pens of sheep between pastures even if on drought? I would have assumed so. This is relevant if you have a mixture of types of pastures.
Yes I you can move sheep, but not to avoid an event. i.e. if you landed on bore dries up, you couldn't then move your sheep from irrigated to something else after the fact. I would say that all movement of sheep should be done before rolling the dice.

captainTheo wrote:
* It is possible to buy pens of sheep and get an unexpectedly high selling price beyond your means. Can you sell some of the pens you are buying at $400 a pop to pay the debt? (I have assumed yes.)
I assume you mean "buying price". An interesting question. I have noticed it could occur and have usually reduced the amount I intended to buy to avoid the problem. I would say that the purchase should be cancelled, otherwise you could just mount up a lot of debt, because you would be selling the pens at a loss (from my memory of purchase prices - and my copies of the game are on the other side of the planet at the moment).

captainTheo wrote:
If before you buy you have under 8 pens of sheep, are you allowed to mortgage?
I would have to check the rules for this, it doesn't ring any bells at all.

captainTheo wrote:
* This isn't a rule clarification question, but any idea why Flood Damage does not end a Drought or Bore Dries Up?
A flood is a disaster, it is not general rain that is good for crops and the land, it is a destructive amount of water in a short period.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikolas Moore
Australia
Toowong
Queensland
flag msg tools
Thanks for your clarifications. Sounds like we agree on most of these. Yes I did mean "high buying price" and have updated my post accordingly. If I buy beyond my means I take off the bought stock at $400 a pen, which is the standard selling price for stock at any time. This can be financially damaging but I would consider it a fitting punishment for buying too many.

The rule about mortgaging is that you are entitled to mortgage only if reduced to eight pens or less (from memory). You get $100 per natural paddock, $250 per improved paddock and $750 per irrigated paddock. You must pay 10% interest to unmortgage a paddock and every time you pass Wool Sale. Mortgage property may be fully stocked but you cannot win the game until you have unmortgaged all of your paddocks.

The 20% increases I have always played as cumulative so I don't mind hanging onto them. The instructions say that it is possible to make the increase 40% or 60% or more if you get multiple vouchers.

The application I am just creating for my own personal use. The designer appeared on the radio (in Brisbane, Australia) recently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.