Subject: Doing it dinosaur style. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Owasso
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love board games. I love the interaction. I love the components. Mostly, I love the fun my group has while playing them. The game I picked up the other day was stone age, and it has all the things I look for in a game.

The first thing I noticed, when I opened the box, was the quality of the components. Unlike many euro games I played, this had wood that looked like wood, stone that looked like stone, gold and brick--you get the picture. it looked good. It came with a leather dice cup, wooden dice, caveman shaped meeples, a 1st player marker that stood up, and a beautifully illustrated game board and player boards. The only problem I could find with the components was the stinky smell the dice cup exuded and the cardboard food tokens when everything else was made of wood.

The game play was simple. It composed worker placement with a light amount of dice rolling. With the dice luck was a component early on, but the tool mechanic helps take that away by nudging the total of the dice. The rules were pretty straight forward. Everything was self explanatory after we had the rules and didn’t ever need to reference the rule book once during game play.

I am not going into depth into the rules but I have to say the selling point for me was the breeding hut. I mean, what’s better then making the cave people go dinosaur style. It was my girlfriend’s favorite place to place her meeples. She would lay the "newly born" meeple down with the two "parents" over it. "Proud parents," She commented. I’d laugh, she’d laugh, and I am sure the meeples died a little inside.

The only problem I had with the game play was that we kept running out of resources. Luckily, this can be fixed with a set from mayday that will provide more resources and wooden tokens to replace those silly food tokens.

All and all this is a great game. It’s heavy enough for my gamer friends to like but not too heavy for my girlfriend to hate. I would give it a 8/10. Include the extra token set 9/10.

For this and more reviews visit my blog at http://oklahomageek.blogspot.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Jackson
United Kingdom
Bath
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you might have meant "composed" (or possibly "comprised"?), and "breeding".
Maybe Agricola is what you're after if you'd like to do some composting and bread making?

Nice review though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oklahomageek wrote:
The only problem I had with the game play was that we kept running out of resources.

Resources are meant to be spent, not collected. Running out means that you're not buying stuff fast enough with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
Steven is right, but it's also a very common pattern I see with new players to the game, and it's fine. Everyone has to go through the learning process.

New players will feel that having a large supply of materials is going to pay dividends but in reality, materials sitting on your village mat are wasted profits. Aside from saving up for an upcoming up-to-7-of-any-kind type hut (the bombs, you might say), you generally want to convert materials into points as quickly as possible. If you're the person working the fastest and can run a pile of huts out (to end the game) first, you are likely in a position to win the game, assuming you haven't completely ignored every other aspect of scoring.

But keep at it and these things will materialize as each player gets a few more games. It's a surprisingly fun game considering the light fare and large amount of dice rolling.

What I love about it is that the player gets to choose how much luck to depend on. People bemoan the game about being quite luck driven, but it's really about weighing risks to rewards and you can play as safely or as wildly as you choose. Enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Owasso
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
moik wrote:
I think you might have meant "composed" (or possibly "comprised"?), and "breeding".
Maybe Agricola is what you're after if you'd like to do some composting and bread making?

That's what I get for writting it at 5 in the morning, but it's fixed now. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Ruhland
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oklahomageek wrote:
Luckily, this can be fixed with a set from mayday that will provide more resources and wooden tokens to replace those silly food tokens.

Where can I find these? Website? Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Owasso
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eirikr wrote:
oklahomageek wrote:
Luckily, this can be fixed with a set from mayday that will provide more resources and wooden tokens to replace those silly food tokens.

Where can I find these? Website? Thanks.

www.maydaygames.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for mentioning that. We don't run out of wooden bits in Stone Age anymore, but I do find the food chips unwieldy because they are in such a big messy pile and they can often knock the score markers around when they are around the 100 mark. Replacing those with wooden food would be nice, though the grain as singles seems rather bulky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Davis
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the perfect solution from my stand point:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/32877

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pell Bort
Canada
flag msg tools
Technically correct is the BEST kind of correct.
badge
I'm a little lad who loves berries and cream.
mbmbmbmbmb
oklahomageek wrote:
It was my girlfriend’s favorite place to place her meeples. She would lay the "newly born" meeple down with the two "parents" over it. "Proud parents," She commented.

We name each newborn cavemeeple as they come out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.