bernardo miguel nuñez moraleda
Spain
cadiz
cadiz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hi
i have a question.

when i free all the areas in the brain (Wernickes and Broca's Areas,etc) using cards i past to era 2, but in this case. i must go to chaos?, becouse in locution (inovation action) tell that you must go to chaos and free the wernickes area.

thanks for all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolai Broen Thorning
Denmark
Ebeltoft
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, whenever you advance an era you go into chaos in the following era.

When you use the innovation action locution you must go into chaos the same turn but not necessarily at once, so you could use locution and then cards to clear your brain and advance to era II.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Klinkisch
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rodolf wrote:
when i free all the areas in the brain (Wernickes and Broca's Areas,etc) using cards i past to era 2, but in this case. i must go to chaos?, becouse in locution (inovation action) tell that you must go to chaos and free the wernickes area.

You only go into chaos if you free the wernickles area using an innovation action (and then it's irrelevant if you get to ERA II or not).
If you free your brain using cards and get to Era II you do not go into chaos. The only way to get into chaos is failing a stability roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolai Broen Thorning
Denmark
Ebeltoft
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose its because we have never seen the benefit of going into chaos voluntarily - unless it was to advance to Era II.

As I recall the rules you can only advance from an era by going into Chaos - at least this would be true for advances from Era II and up.

You may be right that it does not hold true when clearing your last brain area by card play (though we have always played it so - considering you enter the dark age of Era II).

Could you elaborate on it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Klinkisch
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Taibi wrote:
I suppose its because we have never seen the benefit of going into chaos voluntarily - unless it was to advance to Era II.

There is no benefit whatsoever in going into chaos in Era I and the only benefit you get later is to move to a dark age. Avoid Chaos like the plague!!!

Quote:
As I recall the rules you can only advance from an era by going into Chaos - at least this would be true for advances from Era II and up.
(snip)
Could you elaborate on it?

Sure

Era Advancement:

Era I -> Era II: by clearing your brain (9.4) - No chaos needed here.
Quote:
Advancing to Era II. A player immediately advances to Era II upon the Loss of his last Brain Unit. (snip)

After Era I: by going into chaos while being in a golden age and moving to the Dark Age of the next Era (if you meet the requirements) (10.0). Notice that this is by no means mandatory: you can go backwards if you want. So chaos doesn't automatically moves you to a new era, just to a dark age (and just in case you are in a golden age).
Relevant Rule here:
Quote:
Enter Dark Age (Era II and greater). If the player is currently in a golden age, then he must move his Era Unit to a dark age of his choice, either the one ahead (in the next era) or one behind (in the current era)

Chaos:
You go into chaos if:

- You fail your stability roll.
- You use the innovation action "Locution" (and therefore clear your Wernicke area). It might well be, that you clear this area without clearing your whole brain, thus going into chaos but not moving to Era II.

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolai Broen Thorning
Denmark
Ebeltoft
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It sure does.

So really there is no reason to use Locution except in cases where you just cannot get the card you need to clear Wernicke Area... :)

We had everything down then, except for the fact you do not need Chaos to advance to Era II, which might just be my memory playing games with me.

Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Klinkisch
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Taibi wrote:
So really there is no reason to use Locution except in cases where you just cannot get the card you need to clear Wernicke Area...

Well, it does happen: it's not always so easy to get the right card!

Quote:
We had everything down then, except for the fact you do not need Chaos to advance to Era II, which might just be my memory playing games with me.

Don't forget the recommended option in the living rules: no final chaos. It helps a lot (specially the winner, of course).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of All Simians — Not a Mere Diplomat
United States
Wilmington
Select State
flag msg tools
designer
I love you.
badge
I love you.
mb
Is there ever a reason to stay in Era II or III? I can understand holding off moving to Era II, 'cos you get access to innovation actions that aren't available later. But why would someone choose to reenter a dark age of their present era, rather than move to the next?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you stay in your own Era rather than advancing you can easily 'Enter the Golden Age' and get back some of your public cards and their benefits. If you advance to the next Era you may not have the requirements to be able to do this.

Staying in Era III (when not playing with the expansion), can be a good way of building yourself into a good scoring opportunity before going into chaos again and ending the game.

Just my opinions. I hope you enjoy the game, I have found it to be a wonderful experience, though it needs to be played through at least once to click with the idea of what you need to do I think.

Cheers,

Giles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of All Simians — Not a Mere Diplomat
United States
Wilmington
Select State
flag msg tools
designer
I love you.
badge
I love you.
mb
Ah! Those are good reasons! The end game reasoning, especially, should have been obvious--maybe if I'd have been within seven leagues of winning in my first couple of plays, it would've been.

I've played an abortive first game, and then one full session, and I loved it. I can't wait to play again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes - it's a great experience I think! A roller-coaster at times, an exciting and epic game!

RE staying in Era II - I have sometimes done this to get closer to the requirements of the Era III Golden Age, so that when I do finally advance from II to III, I have to spend less time fighting to get those requirements and it is quicker to get to the Golden Age - allowing me to spend more time building a better base for scoring after the final advance, and allowing me to take better advantage of the Era III public cards.

Cheers,

Giles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.