Subject: Closest Dominion games EVARRRR!1!1!!!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was only the third session of Dominion I have played with a few of my friends, so we are all still figuring out what cards work well with what other cards.

For my third session of Dominion, I got together with one of my buddies and had two great two player games.

Game 1:

Kingdom cards:
Adventurer
Bureaucrat
Cellar
Chancellor
Feast
Council Room
Gardens
Thief
Workshop
Mine

During the first game, it took many turns before we ended up figuring out how to get a proper engine working. Initially, we both experimented with various cards including the Thief, Chancellor and Council Room. Early game, with the lack of +actions and card drawing cards, it made things a bit difficult to figure out exactly what would work well. It only dawned on me after bloating my deck with some useless cards what I should have been doing. I quickly focuesed on Adventurers, Mines (to improve the treasure cards in my deck and remove all coppers and hopefully silvers) and Cellars.

Once I had my treasure cards refined, I would then use an Adventurer card to fill my hand with good treasure to pick up provinces. Cellar cards helped as well to replace out hands with hopefully another adventurer.

With the amount of deck bloat that had occured, we both pursued the gardens feverantly.

My opponenent came to the same conclusion as well and pursued a similar route, just with more cellar cards. Due to several successful thiefs, my deck tipped under 50 cards end game and his was above 50 card mark. It balacned out the difference in the lead I had on him with Provice cards with the split we had on the garden cards.

The game incredibly tied at 70pts each!

Game 2:

Adventurer
Bureaucrat
Mine
Workshop
Chancellor
Festival
Woodcutter
Village
Library
Money Lender

Shuffling up again, we drew a 1/2 the same cards as the last game to come up with the list above.

This time, I got off to an early lead picking up a money lender, Buereaucrat and a Festival to fuel many early treasure puraches getting ahead in the game. I picked up a library and Adventuer cards to help gain access to my treasure cards, much like the last game. I was able during the early half of the game gain many province cards. I made use of the money lender to get rid of many of the copppers an fuel many of these province purchase. On my third turn I was able to pick up my first province if that is any indication. I purchased several Gold cards using the money lender as well. Quite a decent card, a cheaper version of the mine, that often allowed me to jump from a copper to a silver instead using the mine to do this.

My friend focused mainly on Festivals, Villages and Woodcutters to fuel his game engine, the +buys and +coins worked quite well for him. At the end of the game, he was often able to buy a province with just +coin cards!

During the last 3rd of the game, my deck sort of stalled and I was unable to keep up the mometem. Before I could recover and adjust my deck composition, he quickly snatched up most of the remaining provicne cards! I picked up as many duchy and estate cards cards on stalled turns as I could to try and keep up. By then end of the game, he was worried that I was still ahead of him.

Beyond belief, this game ended again with with 45pts each! Two tied games in a row! I didn't think that this would be possible!

Two very close and tight games! Quite enjoyable! I realize that more experienced players would be able to pick out 'good' starting cards more readily and know better what to focus upon. What I enjoy about this games so much is experimenting with it. Looking at cards in a different light each time, figuring out what works, what doesn't and a game winning combination!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Naikelis
United States
Lyndhurst
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mwdalrymple wrote:

What I enjoy about this games so much is experimenting with it. Looking at cards in a different light each time, figuring out what works, what doesn't and a game winning combination!

That is the simple elegance of this game! after a few plays under your belt you'll start to get a feel for the kingdom/money card ratios. the excitement of new cards makes you want to just buy a bunch of them to try them out. But I'm sure you noticed how they also can clog your deck with some worthless draws.

Most solid strategies only include 2 to 4 kingdom cards. Some work better with large quantities, others, you only need a few to be affective. Just keep playing and you'll discover them, or if you are more competitive, check out the strategies here on BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations on enjoying a great game.

I think something is amiss though. 90 points in a 2 player game without gardens is questionable. How many copies of the VP cards are you playing with? Eight is what you use when playing 2 player. I think that you may be playing with all 12. If you were playing with 8 and split evenly, you should each have 43.

4 provinces
4 duchies
7 estates
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matdav wrote:
Congratulations on enjoying a great game.

I think something is amiss though. 90 points in a 2 player game without gardens is questionable. How many copies of the VP cards are you playing with? Eight is what you use when playing 2 player. I think that you may be playing with all 12. If you were playing with 8 and split evenly, you should each have 43.

4 provinces
4 duchies
7 estates

Ahhh, that is most likely what happened then. We played with too many of the province cards. That is probably why the game dragged like it did. I am sure that would have had a greater affect on the game, changing the tied outcome drastically!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanner Griffin
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I had a pretty close game recently.

Player 1: 35 points
Player 2: 25 (or so) points
Player 3: 36 points

I was player one. Player 3 was a new player. On the last turn, when she bought the last province, I suggested that she buy an estate too, because she had an extra buy and 3 extra coins.

Pwn'd.

Yeah...that was a good game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randolph Bookman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
70 points who would let the game get to that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Liken
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shieldwolf wrote:
70 points who would let the game get to that?

They were both playing Gardens decks, and if the second game is anything to go by then I suspect they had 12 Gardens cards available as well and perhaps too many of the other VP cards. So the game would naturally drag out and the points increase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
At PAX I played a game that was 77-78. Gardens, Nobles, Harem and Great Hall were all in play and my opponent was collecting the Gardens while I collected the Provinces, but we were both collecting the others. I ended the game on Provinces (though there was 1 Gardens left) and had collected all of them, but I was the loser by that one point because his deck was ginormous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Metzger
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My last session was the following scores:

The new guy: 40
Me: 39
Friend who owns the game: terrible, like 20 or something.

Game 2:

Me: 15
Friend: 15
New Guy: 0 I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NtN Scissors
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mwdalrymple wrote:
Game 1:
Kingdom cards:
Adventurer
Bureaucrat
Cellar
Chancellor
Feast
Council Room
Gardens
Thief
Workshop
Mine

Seems like an obvious Workshop/Gardens to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmb
I played a three player game at my games club a few months ago that ended 32, 32 and 31 points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was once in a four-player game that was a three-way tie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Woods
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
This one was pretty close for me:

My first game ever with Chapel (or rather, the first one where I really realized "hey this card is nuts") also had Island in it. So I'm running the full-on Chapel strategy with Island backup to keep the deck nice and thin, and before I knew it the game was over.

I had 32 points and took the first turn of the game.

The player to my left had 32 points.

So close!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.