Popular Tags: [View All]
Mustafa Ünlü
United States
Takoma Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Just wondering if anyone has experienced a loss for all players?

In other words, does the poor Old World even have a chance to defeat the dastardly machinations of Chaos?

If, as I suspect, the answer is no or very rarely, then this would indicate a game design very different from, say, Republic of Rome, where the prospect of the system defeating all players looms large indeed.

Note that by bringing this up, I am merely making an observation. I am expressly reserving opinion on whether this is a Good Thing(TM) or a Bad Thing(TM) until I have actually had a chance to play the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't seen it yet, although it has been close in a few games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
See this session report:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/444072

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
camustafa wrote:
If, as I suspect, the answer is no or very rarely, then this would indicate a game design very different from, say, Republic of Rome, where the prospect of the system defeating all players looms large indeed.

I think it is so, and intentionally (i.e. they did not want a "RoR" feel, but rather a possibiity to encourage the players towards their goal(s) in time. There are games with similar "rare outcomes", whose presence serves as a "remote threat" against degenerated tactics, not as a likely end. Even if rarely it may happen; e.g. "three black pieces in the Shire" victory for Sauron in Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
It happened in our first full game.

Maybe it was because we were not familiar enough with the game yet, but I think it was mostly due to very cut-throat playing to prevent others from moving dials and earning VP.

Afterwards, all four of us were predicting victory had the game lasted just one more turn...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Merchant
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Luca has said it best. You feel the pressure, even if the chances are remote that the old World will actually win.

Plus, this is the first multiplayer game in a long time that we were all hankering to play right after we finished the first one. It's a great thing that it's even possible to do so!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sims
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not seen one yet, but my feeling is that as people get better at playing it the chances will get better for an Old World win. With 4 experienced players who know the game well, the amount of keeping others in check will open up the possibility.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
John Coltrane - Both Directions At Once: The Lost Album
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It happened in our last game. Scores were 49-48-47-40 after the 5th region was ruined. We had watched each other closely, so there was only one double dial-bump in the whole game, and nobody's dial had reached victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
It happened in our last game. Scores were 49-48-47-40 after the 5th region was ruined. We had watched each other closely, so there was only one double dial-bump in the whole game, and nobody's dial had reached victory.

This would not have resulted in a win for the Old World:

Rulebook wrote:
If five regions have been ruined, the player with the
most victory points wins. If some players are tied, the
tied player with the highest Threat wins.

The person with the 49 VP would have been the winner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
John Coltrane - Both Directions At Once: The Lost Album
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Mark, I'd missed that. I guess I should really go back and read the rules at some point, now that I think I know how to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
The Old World wins when you succumb to the chaos and purchase this game. Once it has your money soul, it cares little about recording victories against mere human players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.