Recommend
11 
 Thumb up
 Hide
36 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: I've been shopping 3 - the empire of the shopper rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We've had absolutely super weather for about three weeks now. Only one evening of rain, otherwise a warm, dry autumn. Why oh why oh why couldn't have been like this in summer?

So I have my weekly bus ticket and I went into town on Monday to sign on the dole. I checked in with a few of the temp agencies but no go. So I went into the new Sony shop to have a butchers. I was interested in getting a digital camcorder, that is, one with not tapes, but memory cards or a drive. So the bloke showed me one for 180 quid and he'd give me a memory stick cheap but the spare battery cost a BOMB. And although it was tiny, smaller than a can of fizzy pop, it wasn't HD. Personally, I couldn't give a stuff about HD, but it looks like it's here to stay.

So I said thank you and went home.

So I look on the internet at Vado and Flip whatever, and they seem interesting. So Tuesday I go into town early to go to my dentist. I got my teeth scrubbed so now I don't look like a tramp, and she pottered about patching up bits here and there. I'd had a filling replaced the week before and it was still sore with hot food, but she said give it a week or so to calm down. So feeling happy, I go into the main shopping area and nip around and I find myself outside Dixons only it isn't Dixons any more, it's Currys, which is the same difference.

So I go in and ask to see a Flip Mino HD. It is small, like mobile phone sized. And you can replace the battery but it's a special battery, and it doesn't take any memory cards and it only has 4GB. Which is basically an hour. Fine for day trips, no good for five days at Essen, unless I buy a netbook and download every night.

So next to it is a Kodak digital camcorder. What? Kodak? Really? So I look at that, Zx1 and lo, it takes 2 AA batteries, which means I can easily carry spare batteries or get a pack at a supermarket. It has almost no memory but takes SD cards, so that adds to the cost. But it comes with a USB cable, and HDMI cable (it had a HDMI port) and a TV cable for old TVs like mine. And a battery charger. And 2 batteries. So if I get a card, I can pretty much use it out of the box. Shit. That's good.

I'm really sick of propriety batteries and propriety chargers. I have a very nice 20GB player that now sits on my hifi and only runs when plugged in because the battery is dead and cannot be changed. So using AA batteries is a big selling point for me.

And the salesperson, who was extremely helpful and knowledgeable and I should be carfeul to get at least Class 4 cards and yes, this is Dixons/Currys, and that there was a 4GB card thrown in right now. Blimey.

Still, I'm cagey. Impulse buyer I am not.

So I goes home and does my research on the internet. And the Flip Ultra takes AA batteries, but has 8GB of internal memory and no expansion port. And there are some others, but the reviews on the Kodak are good, and this Zx1 is the latest model and an improvement on the previous.

So I'm at home Wednesday doing shit.

So today, I go back into town. I drop off my CV at some more temp agencies (well we just filled a place yesterday) and that takes a while schlepping about. Then to Currys and buy the camcorder with the 4GB card, and I ask to speak to the salesperson's manager, and I lavish praise on the salesperson. I could have got it ten quid cheaper online, but I get it now, and I was very pleased with the service and advice. Hopefully, when her review comes round, the manager will recall.

So then I go around mobile phone shops because my friend told me that you can get monthly deals as low as ten quid and I'm spending more than that on my pay as you go. So that was soooo confusing. I can have this tariff for 15 quid a month and I get 300 minutes and 200 texts or this for 10 quid a month and I get 200 minutes and 300 texts or I can have this contract for 15 quid a month and I get 400 minutes and 100 texts and one of the 4 cheapo phones and on and on and on. So I have various brochures and things to think about. Nobody actually gave me any crap about sign up right now this minute, which was nice. But man, is it confusing.

So finally, I wander into HMV and they have the usual shit on sale and they have like every single boxed edition on discount, but I have like half the films in half the boxes anyway. But I do buy the Godfather trilogy for 15 quid, which was not a great bargain but they are good films. Watch them tonight.

So finally I go home, very pleased with my new camcorder even though it looks a bit ugly. Now I have to get changed and finish painting the front window before it rains tomorrow. But I am tired, headachy, bit of a cold. And I have to order a 16GB card from somewhere. And get some euros and travel insurance.

And maybe get a job.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
And still no feather duster?
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
We've had absolutely super weather for about three weeks now. Only one evening of rain, otherwise a warm, dry autumn. Why oh why oh why couldn't have been like this in summer?

So I have my weekly bus ticket and I went into town on Monday to sign on the dole. I checked in with a few of the temp agencies but no go. So I went into the new Sony shop to have a butchers. I was interested in getting a digital camcorder, that is, one with not tapes, but memory cards or a drive. So the bloke showed me one for 180 quid and he'd give me a memory stick cheap but the spare battery cost a BOMB. And although it was tiny, smaller than a can of fizzy pop, it wasn't HD. Personally, I couldn't give a stuff about HD, but it looks like it's here to stay.

So I said thank you and went home.

So I look on the internet at Vado and Flip whatever, and they seem interesting. So Tuesday I go into town early to go to my dentist. I got my teeth scrubbed so now I don't look like a tramp, and she pottered about patching up bits here and there. I'd had a filling replaced the week before and it was still sore with hot food, but she said give it a week or so to calm down. So feeling happy, I go into the main shopping area and nip around and I find myself outside Dixons only it isn't Dixons any more, it's Currys, which is the same difference.

So I go in and ask to see a Flip Mino HD. It is small, like mobile phone sized. And you can replace the battery but it's a special battery, and it doesn't take any memory cards and it only has 4GB. Which is basically an hour. Fine for day trips, no good for five days at Essen, unless I buy a netbook and download every night.

So next to it is a Kodak digital camcorder. What? Kodak? Really? So I look at that, Zx1 and lo, it takes 2 AA batteries, which means I can easily carry spare batteries or get a pack at a supermarket. It has almost no memory but takes SD cards, so that adds to the cost. But it comes with a USB cable, and HDMI cable (it had a HDMI port) and a TV cable for old TVs like mine. And a battery charger. And 2 batteries. So if I get a card, I can pretty much use it out of the box. Shit. That's good.

I'm really sick of propriety batteries and propriety chargers. I have a very nice 20GB player that now sits on my hifi and only runs when plugged in because the battery is dead and cannot be changed. So using AA batteries is a big selling point for me.

And the salesperson, who was extremely helpful and knowledgeable and I should be carfeul to get at least Class 4 cards and yes, this is Dixons/Currys, and that there was a 4GB card thrown in right now. Blimey.

Still, I'm cagey. Impulse buyer I am not.

So I goes home and does my research on the internet. And the Flip Ultra takes AA batteries, but has 8GB of internal memory and no expansion port. And there are some others, but the reviews on the Kodak are good, and this Zx1 is the latest model and an improvement on the previous.

So I'm at home Wednesday doing shit.

So today, I go back into town. I drop off my CV at some more temp agencies (well we just filled a place yesterday) and that takes a while schlepping about. Then to Currys and buy the camcorder with the 4GB card, and I ask to speak to the salesperson's manager, and I lavish praise on the salesperson. I could have got it ten quid cheaper online, but I get it now, and I was very pleased with the service and advice. Hopefully, when her review comes round, the manager will recall.

So then I go around mobile phone shops because my friend told me that you can get monthly deals as low as ten quid and I'm spending more than that on my pay as you go. So that was soooo confusing. I can have this tariff for 15 quid a month and I get 300 minutes and 200 texts or this for 10 quid a month and I get 200 minutes and 300 texts or I can have this contract for 15 quid a month and I get 400 minutes and 100 texts and one of the 4 cheapo phones and on and on and on. So I have various brochures and things to think about. Nobody actually gave me any crap about sign up right now this minute, which was nice. But man, is it confusing.

So finally, I wander into HMV and they have the usual shit on sale and they have like every single boxed edition on discount, but I have like half the films in half the boxes anyway. But I do buy the Godfather trilogy for 15 quid, which was not a great bargain but they are good films. Watch them tonight.

So finally I go home, very pleased with my new camcorder even though it looks a bit ugly. Now I have to get changed and finish painting the front window before it rains tomorrow. But I am tired, headachy, bit of a cold. And I have to order a 16GB card from somewhere. And get some euros and travel insurance.

And maybe get a job.


Umm.......oh........ah........mmmmmmmm.......???
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wharton
United States
Thomasville
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Never before have I found such mundane stuff so spell binding.
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GMOFreePortland.com
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
ii desu. It is good.
badge
No, I have no idea.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cooler king wrote:
And still no feather duster?


He can't find one that takes AA batteries.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
and everything under the sun is in tune
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday I went back to Ferris Acres Creamery to buy some more ice cream. The coconut chocolate chunk was obligatory, natch. My wife suggested getting another pint as well, something new, maybe the chocolate peanut butter swirl I had had at the Paradis's and liked so much. Unfortunately when I got there I couldn't find the choc/PB on the menu...maybe it was called something weird, I dunno. I always get overwhelmed when I'm confronted with all those flavors. Sometimes there is a panic buy. This was one of those times. I picked something almond-flavored with maraschino cherries. A minute later I thought, wait, maraschino cherries have got all this red dye in them, why did I order that? They hadn't filled the order yet, though, and luckily there was no line at the window, so I asked the friendly high-school girl with the braces if I could switch it to something called Elvis's Dream, which is vanilla with banana chunks and peanut butter and other what have you. She was very nice about it.

Ordinarily I limit myself to one cup of ice cream (I mean one measuring-type cup) so as not to overdo it on the sugar, but I was feeling a little daffy and made myself a double-scoop bowl when I got home, coconut chocolate chunk on top just in case the Elvis's Dream stunk. Since my son was watching TV downstairs, I went upstairs and ate it on the edge of the bed while watching an old VHS of Birth of a Nation in the dark on the little TV. The Elvis ice cream was decent, but not in the same league as the CCC or the black raspberry. The bananas were kind of frozen and crunchy.

The coconut chocolate chunk kicked ass, of course. It was so good I flaunted my one-cup rule even further and grabbed a couple extra spoonfuls. For some reason my son yelled out "stop eating ice cream!" Maybe he doesn't like the smell of coconut.

If you need any more details, just let me know.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gola wrote:
Yesterday I went back to Ferris Acres Creamery...


Do they have cows there that you can pet? I like that. A llama will do in a pinch but they spit when you pinch them.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
So I'm at home Wednesday doing shit.


If that took you all day, then you need to see your proctologist.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
and everything under the sun is in tune
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
matthew.marquand wrote:
Do they have cows there that you can pet? I like that. A llama will do in a pinch but they spit when you pinch them.

Nah, they're off in the fields and stuff. Maybe they're afraid people are going to try and sneak a couple of quick yanks off the udders to top off their coffee or something.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gola wrote:

Nah, they're off in the fields and stuff. Maybe they're afraid people are going to try and sneak a couple of quick yanks off the udders to top off their coffee or something.


Makes sense. I've seen people try that at work with mixed success.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Geez, I didn't realize that you were unemployed. That sucks, Jon.

Will you have to get rid of any of your game collection? If so, we'd love to help you out.




5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:

Geez, I didn't realize that you were unemployed. That sucks, Jon.

Will you have to get rid of any of your game collection? If so, we'd love to help you out.






No it doesn't. He is technically unemployed, but on "garden leave" for a year. He's getting paid!!!

So, you'd have better luck begging him to gift you a game out of pity, because you will soon be REALLY unemployed with ZERO pay!!!

Poor, poor Amy!! Jon, I really think you should get out your credit card and order her a game from Boards & Bits to ease her pain.

kiss
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
amwiles wrote:

Geez, I didn't realize that you were unemployed. That sucks, Jon.

Will you have to get rid of any of your game collection? If so, we'd love to help you out.



No it doesn't. He is technically unemployed, but on "garden leave" for a year. He's getting paid!!!

So, you'd have better luck begging him to gift you a game out of pity, because you will soon be REALLY unemployed with ZERO pay!!!

Poor, poor Amy!! Jon, I really think you should get out your credit card and order her a game from Boards & Bits to ease her pain.

kiss


Please, Jon? I need a game. Or at least some Chocolate Hob Nobs or some blackcurrant sweets. soblue Think of the children, Jon! Won't somebody please think of the children!?

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your concerns. Garden leave is over now. I am actually unemployed. However, the GOVERNMENT does not give unemployment benefit. It is now Job Seekers Allowance, and so I am a Job Seeker. I seek jobs here, i seek jobs there. The trouble is, with Britain in recession, unemployment is actually going up.

I do have some surplus games to dispose of. I completed an actual proper trade last week. If you message me with an email, I will send a price list. If you know somebody going to Essen, I can swap there.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I still don't know what a "quid" is.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gola wrote:
Yesterday I went back to Ferris Acres Creamery to buy some more ice cream.

If you need any more details, just let me know.


Nice try, Joe. It has a lot of detail, but needs to be more rambling and cover more topics. This was too ice-cream buying focussed, but the VHS bit at the end offered hope of more.

6/10, keep working on it.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cooler king wrote:
And still no feather duster?


Low hanging thumbs.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
Poor, poor Amy!! Jon, I really think you should get out your credit card and order her a game from Boards & Bits to ease her pain.

kiss


I would, but I don't have Amy's address. And if I did send her something in the mail, it would make a certain jealous person even more jealous. Say no more.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
Thank you for your concerns. Garden leave is over now. I am actually unemployed. However, the GOVERNMENT does not give unemployment benefit. It is now Job Seekers Allowance, and so I am a Job Seeker. I seek jobs here, i seek jobs there. The trouble is, with Britain in recession, unemployment is actually going up.


Is this what your Job Seekers meeting are like?



3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
AnakinOU wrote:
I still don't know what a "quid" is.


For complex reasons, I can't make the pound sign on this keyboard. Not the hash, which I can't make either. I mean the GBP, pounds sterling sign. For that is a quid.

The complex reason being that my new nettop PC has only USB ports, and I don't have a USB keyboard, so I had to get this cable that has the two P2 endings and a USB plug. That way I can plug my old keyboard into my new PC. But the cable throws the mapping off. So my " key is my @ and my @ key is my ". I found the code to do £ but I can't bother doing it when writing long stuff. Also, it assumes amuses both myself and my dear readers to use idiomatic language.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:
Is this what your Job Seekers meeting are like?


Drawn from life. Signing on is a quick meeting, but I have one of those long sessions next week. I could say lots, but I won't.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
Thank you for your concerns. Garden leave is over now. I am actually unemployed. However, the GOVERNMENT does not give unemployment benefit. It is now Job Seekers Allowance, and so I am a Job Seeker. I seek jobs here, i seek jobs there. The trouble is, with Britain in recession, unemployment is actually going up.

I do have some surplus games to dispose of. I completed an actual proper trade last week. If you message me with an email, I will send a price list. If you know somebody going to Essen, I can swap there.


So, let me get this straight. You will send her a game AND charge her for it?????

And don't worry about Diane being jealous. I have the feeling she has other stuff to think about just now. ninja
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
So, let me get this straight. You will send her a game AND charge her for it?????


I am thinking about writing a children's book. I was IM Melissa today. I wrote:

Jon has money to burn.

Burn money, burn.

See the money burn.

Jon sees the money burn.


No, I would not send her a game and charge her for it. She offered to buy games.

Quote:
And don't worry about Diane being jealous. I have the feeling she has other stuff to think about just now. ninja


Mischievous girl. I have no wish to bring discord into their lives. If you have Amy's address, there is something I can send her that would cheer her up no end.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:

No, I would not send her a game and charge her for it. She offered to buy games.
That's because she thought you were down on your luck and POOR!!! She felt sorry for you!! Geesh!! shake

EYE of NiGHT wrote:

Mischievous girl. I have no wish to bring discord into their lives. If you have Amy's address, there is something I can send her that would cheer her up no end.
I don't have her address. Sorry. You'll have to pm her!!

kiss
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Update.

One of the plastic fillings has just broken up. Heyho.

The camcorder is very easy to use. But it does use Quicktime MOV. Am uploading a test video now. Will report back results.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.