Popular Tags: [View All]
Isaac Milton
United States
Reading
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm running a youth night in a few weeks and am looking for some games to run with them. We will probably have 20-40 kids there.

I've played mafia before, and am interested in getting Ultimate Werewolf.

Are there any other party games that can handle that many people well? We're getting burnt out on Pictionary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey D Myers
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
"Always rely upon a happy mind alone." Geshe Chekhawa.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Wits & Wagers in teams....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Hamm
United States
Huxley
Iowa
flag msg tools
See this text? It's a gratuitous waste of GeekGold.
badge
The game itself isn't important. Spending time intellectually jousting with likeminded folks is the real reason to game.
mbmbmbmbmb
Another thought is to simply not have them all playing the same game. Instead, divide them up into two or three groups playing different games.

Trivia games generally work well. Wits & Wagers is so vastly superior to Trivial Pursuit it's not even funny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian F.
United States
Springville
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about just getting a bunch of copies of a game like ticket to ride and splitting them into groups?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
ositobrian wrote:
What about just getting a bunch of copies of a game like ticket to ride and splitting them into groups?

That would be kind of expensive with TTR, but I like the idea of organizing a tournament bracket of some kind. Perhaps something less expensive like a public domain card game that can be played with standard cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey D Myers
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
"Always rely upon a happy mind alone." Geshe Chekhawa.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A game that I've always wanted to try with a large group (but takes some prep time) is Sid Sackson's Haggle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean johnson
United States
Edinburgh
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Who Would Win is a debate game that could be played with just about any size group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Milton
United States
Reading
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions!

Couple Questions/Thoughts:
Wits & Wagers - Has anyone played with that many? I could see question answering going well, but the betting phase could be tough. I would imagine I would have to run it like trivia night where each team has a captain/runner. For $20 I will definitely give it a try.

Haggle - That looked awesome until I saw the final scoring. Are there any games like that with a simpler final scoring system?

Who Would Win - I think that might work better with adults. I constantly find that when I do games based on celebrities (ex. Time's Up), a lot of kids just don't know who people are.

I don't have the budget to buy a bunch of the same game, but maybe I could do a card based tournament.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Hales
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to play a game in settings like this called Psychiatrist. The psychiatrist leaves the room and everyone else decides on a "condition" that the psychiatrist needs to diagnose. Something odd, like the answers to whatever question that is asked has to start with the next letter of the alphabet, or you have to incorporate a number, color, animal, or something else into the answer. Fairly simple, free, and fun with the right group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Grimes
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
How about The Con Game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonardo Martino
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A Giant game of Wings of War: Famous Aces sounds cool to me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius Roth
Germany
Wistedt
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have the chance to, maybe Formula D. It's possible to play it with 10 players. Maybe some local gamers can help you out and lend your their games.

You could have to parallel races, and the best of each table compete for the final cup

Otherwise, the only game that could support that many players would be Werewolves
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CoffinDancr wrote:
I've played mafia before, and am interested in getting Ultimate Werewolf.

Ultimate Werewolf: Ultimate Edition was the first game that came to mind when I read the subject of your post...you might also try Ca$h 'n Gun$: Live as I think it can handle up to 20...

As some one else stated, Wits & Wagers could handle that many using teams, and probably Time's Up!/Time's Up! Title Recall! as well. If you have an even number of people, Catch Phrase! might also work, though you'd probably want to get the electronic version...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fritz Mulnar
Germany
Berlin
not Bavaria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
would also recommend something like The Werewolves of Miller's Hollow .there is the expansion The Werewolves of Miller's Hollow: New Moon with which you can handle up to fifty players, i think i read.

i only played it with up to 15, which was a blast

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius Roth
Germany
Wistedt
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
O, you could also try Apples to Apples. Although the game itself is designed for around 10 players, nothing can stop you from playing it with 20+ persons and slightly modified rules.

I have often played it with a bunch of guys, until we got fed up of the game after 3-4 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emily H.
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agent Minivann wrote:
I used to play a game in settings like this called Psychiatrist. The psychiatrist leaves the room and everyone else decides on a "condition" that the psychiatrist needs to diagnose. Something odd, like the answers to whatever question that is asked has to start with the next letter of the alphabet, or you have to incorporate a number, color, animal, or something else into the answer. Fairly simple, free, and fun with the right group.

Psychiatrist is really fun - here's a good way to start.

1 Pick one person who can handle being frustrated with ease (someone who won't quit in the middle of the game if he hasn't figured out the diagnosis yet).

2 Make this person leave the room.

3 Everyone left in the room is told that they all are to pretend that they suffer from the same mental condition. A good one to start with is: everybody thinks that he is the person to his left.

4 Example: The psychiatrist asks Bob, who is sitting to Susie's right (so Susie is on HIS left), "are you male?" Bob answers "no."

5 Tell everyone that if that at any point someone doesn't know the answer to a question that they are being asked, that person should say "psychiatrist" and everyone needs to get up and switch chairs. This will confuse the psychiatrist, but it is great fun.

6 Invite the good natured psychiatrist back into the room. Tell him that everyone suffers from the same mental condition, and he must figure out what it is. It helps to recommend that he start with simple, direct questions (yes or no questions are good) and also to inform him that these aren't DSM-IV conditions (in case you have someone who is going to start along that path).

Seriously, you should try this game. It's a lot of fun and it works with 20.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Romian Tuesta-Vilca
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get four copies of Citadels :D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Milton
United States
Reading
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You guys are great, thank you! I'm definietly going to get Wits and Wagers and Werewolf. There are a bunch of versions of that game. I was going to get Ultimate Werewolf: Ultimate Edition, but is there a better option? I'm trying to figure out what my budget will be and will possibly get more games if possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilko Drude
Germany
Goettingen
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
What are you doing!? I don't even know you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ca$h 'n Gun$: Live might be an option, too. Saw this demonstrated in Essen and there were definitely more than 20 people involved. Looked like a lot of fun (I watched for quite a while).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Thingamagummy
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Don't make me bust out the drama!!
badge
Panda is a Werewolf. The Village wins!
mbmbmbmbmb
CoffinDancr wrote:
You guys are great, thank you! I'm definietly going to get Wits and Wagers and Werewolf. There are a bunch of versions of that game. I was going to get Ultimate Werewolf: Ultimate Edition, but is there a better option? I'm trying to figure out what my budget will be and will possibly get more games if possible.

As an avid werewolf player, I'd recommend the Ultimate Werewolf Edition. One of the things about the Lupus in Tabula and Miller's Hollow editions is that they do not have the name of the character on them. They use symbology. That has caused confusion on many occassions. (So much so that I wrote on my Lupus in Tabula cards in permanent marker so there wouldn't be any confusion. And to accomodate larger games, I've bought 2 copies of it.)

I'm really happy with the Ultimate Werewolf edition. There's enough cards in one deck that you won't need to buy anymore. (That will help the budget issue.) The hardest thing about it is getting eliminated early. If you have one giant game, people will be sitting around for a while. So you'll either need to create two games, start a smaller one when enough people get eliminated, or have some filler games on the side. Also, you can have people help moderate a large group to help with the angles of seeing where players are pointing.

---

A game we play with tons of people is the "Romance Novel Game." You take the trashiest romance novel you can find, and then read a phrase out loud. Everyone writes down what they think the sentence should be. You then read them out loud and discuss which one the group thinks is the best and which one probably came from the book. You then reveal who wrote the best and which one came from the book.

Our famous example: "Golden Brown Cheese Sandwiches." The actual line from the book: Had his golden brown cheese sandwiches melted the teflon coating of her heart?

Since it's a youth group, you can play the "Balderdash" game by getting a dictionary, reading off an obscure word, and everyone writes down a definition for it. You get some really creative responses.

---

Cranium works well in teams.

---

And the last two things we play in groups:

1.) Celebrity. Everyone writes down 10 celebrities on slips of paper and puts them in a hat. Sit in a circle. Two teams... count off "Team 1, Team 2" so that no two players on the same team are sitting next to each other. Shake the hat up, set a 1 minute timer, and then a player has to describe the celebrity and get someone to guess it. You may only pass on one slip of paper. You get 1 pt for each correct answer. After the minute is up, pass the hat to the right, and continue.

2.) Who Am I? Using Labels, you write down the name of a celebrity, place, or event (like the Boston Tea Party) and place it on someone's back. They have to go around and ask people yes or no questions until they figure out what's on their back. They can ask anyone, but once they ask a question that gets a no response, they have to switch to a new person. Questions are traded back and forth between people so no one dominates the conversation.

That's what I got
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
CoffinDancr wrote:
Haggle - That looked awesome until I saw the final scoring. Are there any games like that with a simpler final scoring system?

The final scoring of any game of Haggle is only as complicated as the designer makes it. You're not supposed to play a carbon copy of the version Sackson described in his book - you (as the person running / setting up the game) are supposed to make your own scoring rules. Of course, the very nature of the game begs for there to be some complexity in scoring - otherwise there's no way to segment the information, which is kinda crucial to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CoffinDancr wrote:

I've played 4 different versions of Werewolf and, while they were all fun, I'd definitely recommend Ultimate Werewolf: Ultimate Edition, especially with the number of folks you'll be playing with. It handles up to 68 players, has many different character types, and comes with lots of variants as well...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenny Dunbeck
United States
Redmond
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I like Eat Poop, You Cat or telephone pictionary. The group forms a circle. Each person then writes down a sentence at the top of their piece of paper. They fold it over and pass it to the left (or whatever works for you). Then, that person reads the sentence and draws a picture, covering up both the sentence and the picture. The next person in line only views the picture and must write an accompanying sentence. Play passes until the person gets their original back.

I also like the pen and paper versions of "Would You Rather" where everyone throws in slips of paper with random situations like lost in space or win the lottery on it. Then, each person gets a chance to order them 1-5 based on what they think the "it" person will choose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Milton
United States
Reading
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jen_8884 wrote:
I like Eat Poop, You Cat or telephone pictionary. The group forms a circle. Each person then writes down a sentence at the top of their piece of paper. They fold it over and pass it to the left (or whatever works for you). Then, that person reads the sentence and draws a picture, covering up both the sentence and the picture. The next person in line only views the picture and must write an accompanying sentence. Play passes until the person gets their original back.

That's one of our favorite games. We play it every few months. We've been calling it telephone pictionary. I may have to give your name a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Thingamagummy
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Don't make me bust out the drama!!
badge
Panda is a Werewolf. The Village wins!
mbmbmbmbmb
CoffinDancr wrote:
Jen_8884 wrote:

That's one of our favorite games. We play it every few months. We've been calling it telephone pictionary. I may have to give your name a try.

My friends swear they invented it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.