Popular Tags: [View All]
Anders Olin
Finland
Vasa
flag msg tools
badge
Justice for the 96!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have read several reviews of this game but I am not yet sure if I would enjoy it.

Could you help me?

http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/victoryzine?own=1&s...

As you browse and see my ratings, do you see if the game fits in there?

Thank you"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Hoffpauir
United States
Lake Charles
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, there isnt really another game like Tales of the Arabian Nights so it is tough to gauge whether a player will like it based on the other games that he has rated. This is the type of game that you get more out of the more you can get into it. ToTAN is absolutely dripping with theme and if you are the type of person who can get into the Storytelling then you will enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Hasegawa
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at your collection and ratings, you appear to enjoy the euro and mechanic heavier games where theme is secondary to the meshing of good gameplay and rules.

ToAN is really a group of people doing their own "choose your own adventure" stories with some loose game trappings. Each turn you are basically hearing a small chapter of your adventurous persona's travels and your progress is only loosely related to any previous adventure. Your control over the game, other players, and often your own "story" is limited.

That being said, this game is all about the theme and enjoying the story, not mechanics and winning. Just because it differs from your collection and standard type of game you enjoy doesn't mean you wouldn't like. For me, this nicely fills a niche for me which is there because I have neither the creative energy or willingness to commit to a role playing group.

Again, if you want a great game with a strong narrative, this is not it. This is a great narrative coupled loosely with some game mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emivaldo Sousa
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No.
You will either love it or hate it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey D Myers
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
"Always rely upon a happy mind alone." Geshe Chekhawa.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is similar to Star Trek: The Adventure Game, if you have access to that one....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ggg ggg
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
Tatsu wrote:
Looking at your collection and ratings, you appear to enjoy the euro and mechanic heavier games where theme is secondary to the meshing of good gameplay and rules.

I agree. Your ratings for Uno and Yat are perhaps the most indicative. If you like to win, or optimize your gameplay, then this game is probably not one you would frequently turn to. It's much more of a social game, meaning you can sit around and not pay attention and chat or drink or whatever ... (although you should REALLY be paying attention and enjoying the misfortune that is currently befalling the active player.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You have encountered an AMAZING TOME (Matrix Y).

Do you:
TAKE IT
USE IT
AVOID IT
BUY IT

"I'll BUY IT."

That's Matrix 4090: roll the destiny die.

"I rolled MINUS."

You encounter a strange arcane shop filled with many boxes painted bright cheerful colors. One of the larger and heavier boxes catches your eye. It has a picture of a djiin and the legendary sailor Sinbad etched across the top.

NO SKILL: You look inside but do not understand the grandeur involved in the strange cardboard and large spiral bound book. The shop keeper instead edges you towards Abstracts and Eurogames with defined goals and strategies. [S:1]

ENDURING HARDSHIP: A large man comes into the shop and says "Put that down, I had it on preorder." He pays for it and quickly runs off. Not to be denied your prize, you follow him to an area with chairs and tables where other people await him. They quickly punch out many cardboard chits and pull out a map of Arabia. They pretend to be heros of myth, like Sinbad and Aladin. They pass a large book around and dramatically roll dice in order to have numbers told to them by another of the gathering. They seem to be enjoying themselves, but their choices seem to have little bearing on the outcomes of these short stories and one player seems to be constantly beating a Hunchback in order to try to escape from being in prison while another complains that being a sex-changed, beast-form, grief-stricken and married isn't making things very fun for them. One of them eventually causes an event that makes them put everything back into the box to a chorus of 'good game'. You walk away confused. [S:1, D:1, Confused ]

STORYTELLING: You open the box and believe you have found the suitcase of Marcelas Wallace. Contained therein are colorful chits and a map of Arabia. A tome, weighing many pounds, has many thousands of paragraphs of entertainment and adventure to be shared with your friends. You quickly empty your pockets and whisk this new found treasure to your next game meeting, where you accept the fact that you cannot control the fates, but are only along for the ride. You delight in the storytelling, acting out the characters of an enraged djiin or a crazed beggar. Your friends enjoy themselves as well and are glad you made this purchase. [S:1, D:1, W:-1 (no minimum), Beguiled]

WEAPON USE: You draw forth your scimitar and slay the mighty dragon, shouting praises to Allah. A small green creature from outerspace chances upon you and says "I believe this paragraph is a typo and should have been #2583. Sorry about that." [S:2, D:1, Typographical Error]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Olin
Finland
Vasa
flag msg tools
badge
Justice for the 96!
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL that was awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Epic! Captures the feel of the game perfectly too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you're a Liverpool fan, so you should be able to cope well with stauses such as "crippled" and "accursed" devil

Seriously, it is a very good game if you like theme, but less so if you like a strategic approach and the ability to plan ahead.

If you liked "Fury of Dracula" for the flavour, it would be fine. If you liked it for the challenge in predicting where Dracula could have moved to in his last two turns, probably less so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
victoryzine wrote:
LOL that was awesome!

If you enjoyed that, and think you'd enjoy 20-30 'rounds' of that, then you'd probably enjoy Tales.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Farr
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nyhotep wrote:
Well, you're a Liverpool fan, so you should be able to cope well with stauses such as "crippled" and "accursed" devil

Ouch! Painfully accurate. I am also a Liverpool fan. I hope I like the game then, as I received it this week and hope to play it soon.

I enjoyed Fury of Dracula for both reasons (flavour and deduction). Well then, perhaps I'll like half of Tales.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.