Pisgah Forest
North Carolina
flag msg tools
www.gameholecon.com
badge
129/420
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of questions related to LOS for corn and wheat:

1. At the bottom of page four "count as cover for hidden units during summer months". What months are considered summer? My guess is July-Sept but wanted to know if there was a rule I missed that defines this.

2. "Corn blocks LOS for foot units Aug-Sept". I get that, but can a non-foot unit see foot units through corn Aug-Sept? Rule 6.0 says "All LOS rules apply in both directions, so if unit A cannot see unit C, C cannot see A." So by that, a non-foot unit cannot see a foot unit in Aug-Sept corn. I wanted to check that I have this right.

Thanks in advance!

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sheep wrote:
A couple of questions related to LOS for corn and wheat:

1. At the bottom of page four "count as cover for hidden units during summer months". What months are considered summer? My guess is July-Sept but wanted to know if there was a rule I missed that defines this.

2. "Corn blocks LOS for foot units Aug-Sept". I get that, but can a non-foot unit see foot units through corn Aug-Sept? Rule 6.0 says "All LOS rules apply in both directions, so if unit A cannot see unit C, C cannot see A." So by that, a non-foot unit cannot see a foot unit in Aug-Sept corn. I wanted to check that I have this right.

Thanks in advance!

Mike

1. I forget off the top of my head, but check the Summary sheet, I'm positive the specific months are listed there.

2. You are correct. Foot units cannot see or be seen through Corn in those months. See below for correction!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CORRECTION! I was unsure of my own answer and double-checked with Uwe.

For corn, in the time period that it blocks LOS, it only blocks LOS between foot units and other foot units. So it's still perfectly reciprocal, but if a vehicle is involved in any way, it does not block LOS.

Of course, you don't really have to worry about this rule yet anyways, as all of the SOS firefights are too early in the year for it to have this effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aparently the corn in Eastern Europe is different than that in the US mid-West...

The corn fields I've been in are impossible at full height to see out of and I could not imagine a tank being able to see many infantry at a distance. Unless it has been trampled completely flat I think corn should give infantry complete cover for line of sight. Just my $.02... I'll let the Indiana boys carry on this fight...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike M
United States
Pisgah Forest
North Carolina
flag msg tools
www.gameholecon.com
badge
129/420
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks James! I checked the summary sheet and it is there:

*Corn counts as hidden cover from June-Sept.
**Corn blocks all foot LOS from Aug-Sept.

Steven, I agree, the corn here in Wisconsin is 8'+ by September but that is with 60 more years of genetic engineering and using modern farming methods. I wonder how tall it was back then? But then the average soldier was a bit shorter too. How is this for a rat hole of a realism debate?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sheep wrote:
Steven, I agree, the corn here in Wisconsin is 8'+ by September but that is with 60 more years of genetic engineering and using modern farming methods. I wonder how tall it was back then?
The game is also set before all the blood fertilised the soil. Immediately before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Gallagher

California
msg tools

Cornfield in Essex, England; circa WW2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys. Our research showed that the corn at Kursk...July 4/5...was no higher than about 24 - 30 inches.
Uwe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
And while we are on the subject! I will pre-empt all of you wanna be farmers. Yes, the Soviets did have winter wheat at this time, which also was over knee high. And Russian winter wheat no less! LOL

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
uweeickert wrote:

Hi guys. Our research showed that the corn at Kursk...July 4/5...was no higher than about 24 - 30 inches.
Uwe

In that case the world is a much more dangerous place for infantry.

Who would have believed that a board game would take into account the height of a corn field? I think this goes to prove how commited Uwe is to the CoH system, games and time period. thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup

It will be a pain to have to account for corn height (as well as other crops) in later scenarios, but I believe Uwe will do it as other designers would just shrug it off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Udell
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
uweeickert wrote:
Uwe

There you go! As the saying says, "Knee-high by the 4th of July" (as taught to me by my Iowa country girl wife).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cornfields are pretty high in Canada as well and I don't think anyone in a cornfield would be able to see much unless they were quite high off the ground, like in a combine for example. You don't have to be too far in a cornfield either to be out of sight from anyone nearby.http://image1.masterfile.com/em_w/01/71/59/600-01715962w.jpg
As you can see, the farmer even needs to call for directions on how to get out of the cornfield.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Riker
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has this been answered elsewhere:

Do Tracked Vehicles get the bonus Movement in Corn and Wheat fields???

It says yes in the rules, and no on the Play Aid.

Which is it?
thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They do not. EDIT: THEY DO!

Where in the rules do you see that they do? If that's the case, we'll add it to the errata/clarifications doc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike M
United States
Pisgah Forest
North Carolina
flag msg tools
www.gameholecon.com
badge
129/420
mbmbmbmbmb
The table on page 11 has tracked vehicles getting a bonus move in wheat and corn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Riker
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike
Thanks.
I did not have the rulebook in front of me, but in LAST night's game, I stared at it as plain as day.

We had a discussion, and we decided that as it was July 10th (scenario 8,Black Knights of the Steppes?), the Corn and Wheat were in full Bloom and thus didn't allow the free and easy movement similar to Open or Road terrain.

Seems like the Play Aid is correct then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sheep wrote:
The table on page 11 has tracked vehicles getting a bonus move in wheat and corn.

Thanks Mike. I sent a note to Uve and Nick about this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I guess I was mistaken! Tanks do get a movement bonus over fields. The rulebook is correct and the summary sheet is incorrect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thierry Mattray
France
Nantes
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules update (http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0ASQ4_JiYSwcBZDV2eDh2dF8zNW...)
I found on the BGG's game page says :

Tracked vehicles should be marked as receiving movement bonuses in wheat fields on the Movement and Defense Chart.

So, is it both wheat and corn, or only wheat ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
According to my conversation with Uwe, it should be both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.