Pedro Lisboa
Portugal
Oeiras
flag msg tools
that's just, like
badge
your opinion, man
mbmbmbmbmb
For the european grognards: what is your regular online vendor of wargames?

I've been going through a Combat Commander craze lately and want to buy some battlepacks and a couple of C3i issues with CC scenarios.

My problem is the shops I usually buy from charge a small fortune for GMT products.

Is this unavoidable (conversion rates, shipping costs from across the pond and all that) or am I yet to find the secret european purveyor of cheap wargaming goods? ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Stosser
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have a answer to your specific question, but I'd like to share some insight with my EU gamer brethren about why US games are relatively more expensive in the EU than the US.

Point One, that EU VAT. That adds about 20% to the price of the game. But then you EU gamers don't have to pay for health insurance or fund your own retirement.

Point Two, EU and individual countries' customs duties. Add a bunch more to the price to give European game manufacturers a pricing advantage and keep them in business, thus thwarting the "comparative advantage" dynamic of an efficient international market.

Point Three, the inefficient European marketing and distribution system. There are at least two more middlemen in every EU distribution system than ours. But that keeps your "Mom and Pop" stores in business, while ours go out of business.

Point Four, shipping costs. Can't help that, but a better distribution channel in the EU (see "three" above) would reduce that.

Point Five. the Dollar is at an all-time low versus the Euro. That works to your benefit now.

Point Six, Euro-produced games purchased in the US are just about equal in price, Dollar-to-Euro, as if they were bought in the EU. Which is the ultimate proof of the first five points.

Please give this some consideration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olaf D
Australia
flag msg tools
Stosser44 wrote:
But then you EU gamers don't have to pay for health insurance or fund your own retirement.

not tru
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel Houben
Netherlands
Voorburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The high shipping cost from the US are in my experience unavoidable. Because even with these shipping costs it is almost always cheaper to get your wargames from a US dealer then from a European counterpart. An important reason is that European dealers have to deal with the same import hassle as you when they want to sell American wargames. And of course they want to make a profit as well. To end with a possitve note: the dollar is real low at the moment. That means you get more value from your euro's when you buy in the US then was the case before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lister
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stosser44 wrote:

But then you EU gamers don't have to pay for health insurance or fund your own retirement.

Point Two, EU and individual countries' customs duties. Add a bunch more to the price to give European game manufacturers a pricing advantage and keep them in business, thus thwarting the "comparative advantage" dynamic of an efficient international market.

Point Three, the inefficient European marketing and distribution system. There are at least two more middlemen in every EU distribution system than ours. But that keeps your "Mom and Pop" stores in business, while ours go out of business.

Point Four, shipping costs. Can't help that, but a better distribution channel in the EU (see "three" above) would reduce that.

Hmm - sounds like a rather uninformed and blinkered view.

Edited to make stronger - i think you are talking out your behind. I really hope i don't ever display such ignorance about other countries

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
EU is not one country argh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good point Virre it is not and I for one, hope it never will be.

Seems to me like someone who doesn't like people from Europe, or indeed Europe, which is strange as he obviously doens't know much about it.
shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK I'll bite.

Point One, games are cheaper where they are produced. Shipping, tax, import duties (yes, that is something that you have as well) make it more expensive. This has no political considerations it is just a matter of distance. What my country spends my taxes on is a different matter (more on this later).

Point Two, the fact that the EU is comprised of different countries with different languages makes it more difficult to import great quantities. A Spanish company will have to translate the game for Spain and will only be limited to Spain 40 Million potential customers.

Point Three, gaming in general and wargaming in particular are more widely spread in the USA, therefore there are more customers and, it is called economies of scales, the price can be lower.

Point Four, higher salaries. USA consumers have higher salaries, therefore higher disposable income, therefore what may be cheap for you maybe expensive for us. Specially in Spain and Portugal where salaries are lower than the EU average.

Point Five,
Quote:
Point Six, Euro-produced games purchased in the US are just about equal in price, Dollar-to-Euro, as if they were bought in the EU. Which is the ultimate proof of the first five points.
This is simply not true. Eurogames that are produced in Europe are really expensive until one major US distributor starts distributing it. Try to import one of Francis Tresham railroad games from the UK or 2 de Mayo from Spain and tell me if the price is, even roughly, equal.

Last of all, I cannot pass this opportunity to tell you that people in Europe can, and we certainly are, be as intelligent as people in the USA. We certainly understand how your system works, but, hey, we consider that it sucks!
Quote:

Yes I am well over 50% of tax pressure, but I prefer that than to have people go bankrupt just because they needed an operation, and likewise most of the europeans do so as well, or so say we all everytime we vote...
Quote:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.