Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: kids [+] [View All]
Bartosz Trzaskowski

Tucson
Arizona
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To quickly remind the context of this review: I recently came back from working abroad, and in a weeks time I introduced my kids to 4 games: Gulo Gulo + Sorry! Sliders, Animal Upon Animal and Villa Paletti. I'll try to review all for of them separately, but with comparisons to each other to better show their advantages and disadvantages. Time for Sorry! Sliders! (Gulo Gulo review (the 1st in the series) can be read here:http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/447756.

My kids liked the colorfull box and were very anxious to see what was inside. Well, the inside of the game is as colorfull as the outside, much to the delight of any kids. Unfortunately the game is a pure abstract (at least to my kids), so the fun factor is a bit worse than in the Gulo Gulo case. On the other hand kids can help adults in preparing the tracks for the game.

I didn't even bother to read the rulebook - the rules should be obvious to everyone and explaining them to kids takes no time. The rulebook, however, is useful in suggesting several variations of the game (though one can imagine a lot more). We usually play once again our own variation, where the player with a single pawn closest to the center of the board wins.

The biggest surprise for me was the fact that my daughters didn't now how to flick. Well, the beauty of the game that you can slide your pawns also by pushing, which requires a bit less dexterity. I immediately tried to learn my daughters how to flick properly, but they're bit clumsy with that and still prefer pushing. Anyhow the first game was a blast and they immediately requested another one and then two more.

Are my 3-year olds able to beat me at this game? Hell, yeah! I was surprised again but they seem to be very accurate, at least while playing with single tracks (they tend to have difficulties with strong moves when playing on double or quadruple trakcks). Even if you're better in flicking (like me), you don't have much advantage, since pushing can be as accurate and there is obviously some luck factor involved. Suffice to say, this is the only of the four games where and adult has no (or very limited) upper hand.

(our last game, daddy (playing red) got pwned by Iga (blue))

Playing time is super-short, you can finish one game (depending on the variant) in as little as 2-3 minutes. It's definitely not a drawback for me, since my kids tend to get bored pretty quickly, but we usually manage to play 3-5 times in one session. Also, my kids tend to play very competitively and hate loosing. In such circumstances short playing time is also beneficial, since agfter one of'em looses she can quickly play a rematch and in couple of minutes be the winner.

How do I rate the game? Well, despite it's simplicity it's fun to play, so I gave it a good ranking. The main advantage is that, under proper circumstances (like having a lot of booze or anything else that affects your dexterity) it can be equally fun for adults. It's definitely not for everyone, but it has potential of being a greatgood party game. Unfortunately I didn't have a chance to play it with adults only but I don't think it would be a great hit with my friends.

How do my kids rate the game? They definitely like it enough to play a couple of games with me (or my wife), but rarely suggest playing it on their own. The fun factor with kids definitely suffers from the abstract theme of the game, so give a choice my kids always tend to pick up Gulo Gulo or Tier auf Tier. Still, 3-years old kids should have a lot of fun with this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
montag 66
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're supposed to "flick" the pawns? I own both Pitchcar and Crokinole but I've never even considered flicking Sorry Slider pawns. They way they are built makes it natural to grasp them and push them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacco Versteeg
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hence the line past which you are not allowed to move your hand. In other words, the game itself seems to imply that you pick up and push the sliders, releasing them before the line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it's obviously the player's choice to flick or push, but I agree that the sliders are designed to slide, both by piece design and by game design (the sliding line and name of the game).

The impact of a finger flick tends to throw them off-balance (and tip) MUCH more often than when you slide them.

To the OP:
I like your idea of reviewing 4 recent-to-you kids games together, for novelty.

As for Sorry Sliders, if this wouldn't be a good game for adults, than you'd have to similarly dismiss Loopin' Louis, shuffleboard, darts, and curling.
(p.s. quite a few adults play those combined, competetively against other adults)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.