Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Neuhaus
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do gray worlds produce goods?
They produce nothing. There is one (Galactic Engineers) that has an ability to let you produce on an arbitrary windfall, and other (Alien Rosetta Stone World) that will let you produce on an Alien windfall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game has the following types of worlds:

non-military, production
military, production
non-military, windfall
military, windfall
non-military, non-producing (grey)
military, non-producing (grey)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
From page 7 of the rules, Produce: "Action: place a good on each production world (worlds with *colored*, solid circles) [...]" (emphasis added).

The gray worlds are neither windfall nor production worlds; you place them for their powers and victory points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
László K.
United States
Hopatcong
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Lehmann wrote:
The gray worlds are neither windfall nor production worlds; you place them for their powers and victory points.

Tom: Have you ever considered calling the gray worlds, "conventional" worlds instead? The adjective "gray" does not seem to fit the flavor and theme of Race for the Galaxy. The terms production, windfall, and conventional (as adjectives describing the three types of worlds based on producing ability), however, would seem to fit the game's theme better than production, windfall, and gray. I'm just wondering if you've ever considered an alternative. (Perhaps the second cycle may be a good place to introduce the term.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ask Me
Sweden
flag msg tools
Yes, this was one of the two things (I just posted a question about the other thing, scoring 6-cost developments) I did not understand when reading the rules. "Non-production" worlds would be an alternative or just simply and plainly point it out in the rules that there is such a thing. Otherwise everything looks fine to me.

Cheers!

M.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
I'll see if I can do something about this for the next printing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Coleman
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the same problem. I just never understood how a production world (assumption made by the fact that it's a solid grey circle) could do anything. I figured it couldn't be a trade consumable, but thought there was something else. This topic has cleared up my problem and now I can go take it out and play it for what it is worth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
"Gray is a color isn't it?' was a hurdling block when I first taught the game, for about three minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought gray was a color for a really long time too, and it screwed up all of our strategies -- produce-consume became a beast. I was confused because there are some "white" military worlds (IIRC). I agree the rulebook should make it clear that gray is colorless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ladislaus wrote:
Tom Lehmann wrote:

Tom: Have you ever considered calling the gray worlds, "conventional" worlds instead? The adjective "gray" does not seem to fit the flavor and theme of Race for the Galaxy. The terms production, windfall, and conventional (as adjectives describing the three types of worlds based on producing ability), however, would seem to fit the game's theme better than production, windfall, and gray. I'm just wondering if you've ever considered an alternative. (Perhaps the second cycle may be a good place to introduce the term.)

I call the grey worlds barren when explaining the rules, to emphasize that they don't produce one of the colored goods.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.