Dan Hodges
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
“Codeword Cromwell – The German Invasion of England, 8 June, 1940”

‘Codeword Cromwell’ is a military boardgame simulation based on the German Armed Forces invasion of England, in the summer of 1940.

It is being produced by the Combined Forces Military College in Greenwich, in association with Fifth Column Games, and is used to train officers of the Combined Defence Force that was established following the cessation of hostilities in March, 1941.

This simulation does not recreate the entire Invasion, but instead concentrates on a single action, the famous ‘Battle of Birkham Stokes’, in which a small group of civilians, Home Guard irregular forces and Regular British soldiers defended the strategically vital Sussex village against advance elements of the German Invasion Force.

This is the first occasion that CFMC has produced for public release one of its official training modules, and purchasers should be aware that as a result certain elements contained within the original have been deleted or amended on grounds of National Security.

Contained within the simulation are:

44” x 33” mounted mapboard, depicting Birkham Stokes and its environs
175 thick one inch counters, representing the individual civilians, military personnel and equipment involved in the fighting of 8 June
40 page recently declassified Intelligence Assessment of the Battle
30 page Tutorial Booklet
99 Strategy, Tactical and Event cards
6 & 12 sided dice

This module was originally produced for one-on-one mentoring of Officer Cadets, and is therefore designed for solitaire play.

Details of the development of this product will be posted at regular intervals on this site. Contributions from members of the public, serving members of the Combined Forces and current and former students are welcome.

Serving C.F. members are reminded that this is an open forum, and should remain aware of their obligations under Regulation V.6 of the Combined Services Code of Conduct, and the 1942 Official Secrets and Treasonable Activities Act.

The Combined Forces Military College regrets that it will be unable to accept applications from potential recruits based solely upon successful completion of this module.

tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Wakeham
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hereby inform the Combined Forces Military College that they have misspelled the word "Invasion".

By chance I passed through Birkham Stokes quite recently on my way to Walmington-on-Sea. My thoughts were with the plucky inhabitants of the village who did not survive the "battle".

Hoping that I have sufficient clearance from the powers that be to purchase this training module.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Bultitude
United Kingdom
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not even received my copy of WtiD yet, and I'm already excited for this. I should point out that aside from a few small games in my youth, I've never been a real grognard. It's scary to think I might be becoming a convert.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mahaffey
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
GAME ARTIST
badge
GAME ARTIST
mbmbmbmbmb
"Ian" - (if that is indeed your real name) - you must know by know that the College does not make mistakes. Any suggestion of such in the future shall be regarded with due indignation... your clearance is very much in question, but the is still time to redeem yourself to the board with sufficient... groveling.
arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Commander Raven
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mr Wakeham,

I visted Birkham Stokes last year as part of the research for this module's publication.

The Church was, of course, re-built in 1946, but it's possible to still view bullet holes on some of the gravestones.

I also undersatnd the body of the German paratroop Commander is buried somewhere in the cemetary, although I was unable to locate it on my visit.

Commander Raven
Combined Forces Military College
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan Hodges wrote:
“Codeword Cromwell – The German Invasion of England, 8 June, 1940”

‘Codeword Cromwell’ is a military boardgame simulation based on the German Armed Forces invasion of England, in the summer of 1940.

It is being produced by the Combined Forces Military College in Greenwich, in association with Fifth Column Games, and is used to train officers of the Combined Defence Force that was established following the cessation of hostilities in March, 1941.

This simulation does not recreate the entire Invasion, but instead concentrates on a single action, the famous ‘Battle of Birkham Stokes’, in which a small group of civilians, Home Guard irregular forces and Regular British soldiers defended the strategically vital Sussex village against advance elements of the German Invasion Force.

This is the first occasion that CFMC has produced for public release one of its official training modules, and purchasers should be aware that as a result certain elements contained within the original have been deleted or amended on grounds of National Security.

Contained within the simulation are:

44” x 33” mounted mapboard, depicting Birkham Stokes and its environs
175 thick one inch counters, representing the individual civilians, military personnel and equipment involved in the fighting of 8 June
40 page recently declassified Intelligence Assessment of the Battle
30 page Tutorial Booklet
99 Strategy, Tactical and Event cards
6 & 12 sided dice

This module was originally produced for one-on-one mentoring of Officer Cadets, and is therefore designed for solitaire play.

Details of the development of this product will be posted at regular intervals on this site. Contributions from members of the public, serving members of the Combined Forces and current and former students are welcome.

Serving C.F. members are reminded that this is an open forum, and should remain aware of their obligations under Regulation V.6 of the Combined Services Code of Conduct, and the 1942 Official Secrets and Treasonable Activities Act.

The Combined Forces Military College regrets that it will be unable to accept applications from potential recruits based solely upon successful completion of this module.

So this raises two questions in my mind:
- It seems like it’s pretty far along in development if you already know the production standards and number of bits; do you have a release timeline even roughly in mind?
- I don’t know enough about this sort of thing to tell if your preamble is leg pulling or if it’s based on a real exercise!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross Mortell
England
Bristol
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Dan,

Wow - if this game is as half as good as Where there is Discord then it'll be twice as good as a game I used to own that wasn't a third as good as.....er.....where was I?

I'll start again.

This sounds excellent - any more info available ?

Area movement, hexes, man-to-man (I guess from the counter descriptions), indiviually named soldiers, Argentinian carriers ? - any information gratefully recieved.

I should mention that I have signed the Official Secrets Act so anything you tell me will be strictly between us. ninja

Thanks

Ross
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ross99 wrote:
I should mention that I have signed the Official Secrets Act so anything you tell me will be strictly between us.
I believe it's clause 10 of the Official Secrets Act that states divulging that you have signed the Official Secrets Act is a breach of the Official Secrets Act.

...I'm told... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross Mortell
England
Bristol
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Wulf Corbett wrote:
Ross99 wrote:
I should mention that I have signed the Official Secrets Act so anything you tell me will be strictly between us.
I believe it's clause 10 of the Official Secrets Act that states divulging that you have signed the Official Secrets Act is a breach of the Official Secrets Act.

...I'm told... whistle

Aaaargggghh!!

I would of gotten away with it, if it hadn't been for you damn kidsshake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Bultitude
United Kingdom
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ross99 wrote:
Wulf Corbett wrote:
Ross99 wrote:

...I'm told... :whistle:

Aaaargggghh!!

I would of gotten away with it, if it hadn't been for you damn kids:shake:

There's always a catch...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hodges
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher

Guys,

Just for interest, I've enclosed a copy of the original War Office Memo explaining the rationale behind the module. We found this as part of our research.

I'll post up the brief we recieved from the Combined Forces Military College, which explains the game in greater detail, next week.

Ian, I went on a Battlefield Tour to Birkham Stokes in 2003. Fascinating. The Church is obviously the focal point, but they do all the key locations; School House, the Bridge, and even the old Cricket Pavilion.

Our Tour was conducted by Brian Turner, whose grandfather helped defend the Bank from the initial Paratroop assault.

Even had his Grandad's old fob watch, which he said got a dent from a German Mauser!

Dan

"Commander H. Russ
Combined Forces Staff Office
War Office
Whitehall

February 3, 1943

Sir,

Please find enclosed the new training simulation developed by the Directorate.

As you are aware, following the 1942 syllabus review it was decided to produce a module based around what has become known as the, “Battle of Birkham Stokes”, the defensive action mounted by British Home Forces on the opening day of the Invasion, June 8, 1940, at the village of that name in East Sussex.

The decision to produce this module was based on the unique nature of that action; a mixture of Regular, Irregular and Civilian defenders, a well equipped but widely dispersed attacking force, a fixed defence in rural terrain; all set against a fluid and evolving strategic situation.

Whilst it is unlikely that the exact circumstances of those events, nor the campaign of which they were a small but important element, will be repeated, it is felt that this will provide a valuable training tool for Officers seeking to learn close infantry combat techniques in a high intensity, civilian dense, rural environment.

Following the destruction of the former Royal Military College during the Sandhurst Siege, and the reconstitution of training facilities at our new location, we are still unable to back up this desk top exercise with a ‘real time’ field simulation.

However, I am confident that you will find this an interesting and worthy addition to the Combined Forces Officer Training Programme.

Yours,

Commandant Warren Stokes
Combined Forces Military College
Greenwich"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Moss
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hants
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shin00bie wrote:
I've not even received my copy of WtiD yet, and I'm already excited for this. I should point out that aside from a few small games in my youth, I've never been a real grognard. It's scary to think I might be becoming a convert.

Totally sums my experience up as well - although I have never played a wargame before - desperately waiting for WTID, and this is definitely on my wishlist
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hodges
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
John,

Sorry, I missed your earlier post.

We're just coming to the end of the first stage of playtesting, (which has gone well).

Mark's starting work on the Board, and then we're turning our attention to the counters and cards.

As for the earlier part of your question; of course it's all real!

Didn't they teach you about the 1940 German Invasion of Britain at your school?

I don't know, the modern education system...

Dan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Symoens
Belgium
Grimbergen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Belgium we learned about this on school. I remember that the Invasion took place beginning of the War. There were even some documentaries in the 90's on television about this events. I think it was on "Discovery Channel" in the "Second World War" serie and the name was (i think) "Dad's Army".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Knowles
United States
Willowick
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan-

Stupid question-Is this going to be a solo game or two player or both?

bikerboy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hodges
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Hi,

Solo game.

The College used the original module training individual officers...

Dan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bradshaw
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On what sort of level is the combat likely to take place...squad, unit, regiment etc...? I for one certainly hope its the smaller end of the market, particularly if the 'Eagle Has Landed' nod has any credence.

This could be a really good experience, boardgame wise, on the intense nature of limited engagements and the demands that they make.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hodges
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Paul,

The level of combat is at the very, very small end.

I'll be posting more details tomorrow, but it's at the scale of individual squads, groups of civilians and even individual 'characters' and unit leaders.

Individual period support weapons are also provided.

You also get the opportunity to drive the Daimler of the local County Squire...

Dan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan Hodges wrote:
Individual period support weapons are also provided.
Spigot Mortar? Fougasse? Oh, please let me play with a Fougasse devildevildevil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hodges
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Wulf,

I understand they were used in the defence of Birkham Stokes, all be it with only limited success.

They will feature in the module.

Dan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan Hodges wrote:
I understand they were used in the defence of Birkham Stokes, all be it with only limited success.

They will feature in the module.
I get to play with a fougasse?

I WANT THIS GAME!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Bultitude
United Kingdom
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SunnyD wrote:
Shin00bie wrote:

Totally sums my experience up as well - although I have never played a wargame before - desperately waiting for WTID, and this is definitely on my wishlist :)

It may be too late for us already.... I will, I'm sure, at some point bring a case against all at 5th column games for the obscene amounts of money I'm about to spend on cardboard....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Keep
United Kingdom
Newmarket
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmb
Re: Codeword Cromwell - Advance Orders
Hi Dan

After playing the Where there is discord game and what a great solo game it is, I am looking forward to Codeword Cormwell, when can we place an order for this, have you considered a P100 type system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hodges
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Hi Gary,

Glad you like the look of Cromwell.

Probably be another 5-6 weeks before we're up for taking pre-orders. Might go with a p-500, but I think we'll probably have enough interest to roll it straight out.

I'll keep you posted on the development schedule.

Dan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Uhm...

Call me crazy, but the Germans did not actually invade England in WWII. Operation Sealion was scrubbed in part because Hitler thought after the loss of France, that England would make peace. The text you posted refers to the a "cessation of hostilities in 1941" ... the war went until 1945, obviously, so what's the dealio?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.