6 Posts

Axis & Allies: Pacific» Forums » Rules

Subject: A slight change for a balanced game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Bauer
msg tools
Hi,

I've found from past games (as others have too) that Japan usually wins (even with the revised set-up).

However, I've made the following rule changes that greatly balance the game:

1) Using the new naval rules from Axis & Allies Anniversary, and
2) Slightly modifying the rule for Japan's first turn (p. 14 of rulebook) from:

"Japan's first turn only, Japan attacks in a normal fashion, but Allied units may defend only on a roll of 1."

to read:

"On the first round of Japan's first turn only, Japan attacks in a normal fashion, but Allied units may defend only on a roll of 1. After the first round, Allied units are defended at full strength."

Not only do these two rules balance the game, but also they are far more realistic. No matter how much of a surprise Japan has, it seems a little silly that a US battleship would continue to defend round after round in a state of unreadiness!

Another nice thing is that I can keep the original set-up for Japan (that's printed on the Set-Up card) since Japan could now actually use those extra naval units to off-set the stronger Allied defense on the first round.

Try it out, and tell me what you think. It really brings new life to this great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
This is such a come newbie's perception that my copy noted it in the rules and mentioned that to experienced players Japanis if anything at a disadvantage. I took the manufacturer's word for it, saw what you see but played more and found I heartily agree with the manufacturer. The game IS well-baalnced or slightly favors the Allies:

Play more and analyze it.
Solo it-- often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Meyers
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

What "extra naval units" ??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Seoul
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I usually go with Saburo Sakai's advice on this subject, which I'm sure is posted around here somewhere.

"I would suggest you make 2 changes. Give 12 extra IPCs to the Allies to divide amongst India, Australia or US at the start of the game. This is a 1 time IPC bonus. Change the VP target for Japan to 24 and you will see that the game is almost perfectly balanced."

-SS
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Finnecy
msg tools
mb
I played many games of AAP over PBEM (including several against Saburo Sakai). The two of us were among the higher ranked players at Days of Infamy and our games were often close.

In the early days, Days of Infamy used a bidding system of VP's to choose Allies vs. Japanese, and after many hundreds of plays we found that at 24 VP, Japan won a large majority of the games, and at 25 VP the Allies won a large majority of the games.

At this point we switched to a bidding system of bonus IPC for Allies, with a fixed 24 VP for Japan.

12 may be a bit high, but it's close enough for government work. I would normally bid 8-10, myself.

These bidding and VP numbers are based on the revised OB, however, which we always used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Meyers
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Bauer:
"Another nice thing is that I can keep the original set-up for Japan (that's printed on the Set-Up card) since Japan could now actually use those extra naval units to off-set the stronger Allied defense on the first round."

What "extra naval units" ??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.