Nils R.
Germany
Aachen
Nordrhein Westfalen
flag msg tools
badge
Feel my presence
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opninion atmosphere and a thematic feel makes much of the fun when playing solitaire games, so I always have some background music playing during a session.
For this game in particular I chose the score from Mamoru Oshii's new movie, "The Sky Crawlers" which has some amazing air combat scenes. Here is a link to a sample track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f89Q22dR5-U

I had it running when my main task group was attacked by Super √Čtendards. My thin red line of Harriers managed to shoot one of them down, but the surviving jet carried the Exocet, penetrated my radar screen and sunk a support ship, barely missing the Invincible! It was goosebumpfactor 11/10.

I highly recommend the OST if you're interested in game enhancing music or just good scores in general. Does anyone else have a similar habit and maybe likes to make a musical suggestion of his own?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Whitehurst
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Good thread idea. I enjoy the Crimson Tide score when playing Silent War (a submarine solitaire game), and think it would work well for this game also. It has a number of very long tension building tracks that explode with a heroic theme, occasionally at just the right moment in the game.

If you like music for games, check out The D6 Generation podcast. I do a 5 minute segment on every other episode about music for games called The Score.

"Sky Crawlers" looks (and sounds) awesome. I love Oshii's work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nils R.
Germany
Aachen
Nordrhein Westfalen
flag msg tools
badge
Feel my presence
mbmbmbmbmb
"The Score" is great Ken, it's my favourite segment of the D6G, and made me stock up my supply of Lisa Gerrard CDs recently.
Speaking of Oshii (my favourite director by the way, and I'm not even into Anime that much), the Patlabor 2 OST is also perfect for aerial combat, especially the track "Wyvern" played during a fake attack on Tokyo has a strong feel of tension and impending doom. Unfortunatly the only sample on the internet has not very good audio and is dubbed in spanish, but if you listen closely you get the idea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4BRpCYMiRs&feature=related

I'm glad Oshii lets Kenji Kawaii compose the score for all of his movies, he just knows how to create the perfect mood.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Whitehurst
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Nils. I rented Sky Crawlers and hope to watch it this week. Glad we could share suggestions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Tyson
United Kingdom
Toddington
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I saw the thread title the first thing that popped into my head was 'Shipbuilding' by Robert Wyatt.....

For more music inspired by the war you could start here:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicblog/2007/jun/14/songsf...

Richard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nils R.
Germany
Aachen
Nordrhein Westfalen
flag msg tools
badge
Feel my presence
mbmbmbmbmb
Good call Richard, there are some really good songs with Falklands thematic out there (listening to Borthers in Arms by Dire Straits at the moment, nice coincidence). I made a mixtape with cold war inspired music for my Twilight Struggle sessions, maybe it's time for a Falkland collection now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Bultitude
United Kingdom
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A different feel altogether, and about a different conflict entirely, but I couldn't not mention "Aces High" by Iron Maiden.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.