Will
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that the admins have decided that geeklist auctions and other sale announcements are no longer allowed in the Buying & Selling forum, they are going to have less front page visibility.
Announcement here:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/448087

#1) I suggest that the "Geekbay" forum be added to the "Buying and Selling" module on the front page (which now includes the "Hot Deals" and "Buying and Selling" forums). It is after all related to buying and selling games, which is the purpose of that module on the front page. This would maintain visibility.

#2) I also suggest that BGG remember the last clicked filter option on that Front Page module. This will enable people who only wish to see Hot Deals in that module on front page visits, to do so. In essence, people who want to opt out of viewing things like geeklist auctions on that module could do so. This would make sure that the visibility of such auctions would only be viewed by those who WANT to see them. People who consider them spam would be able to render them invisible with filter options in that module that last more than a single home page view.

There are currently 3 main forum view options on that module, All, Hot Deals, and Buying & Selling. People who do NOT want to see these geeklist auction announcements in that section (perhaps they only want to see Hot Deals) should be able to configure it that way. If they click on Hot Deals in that module to see only hot deals, it should remember and make it default for that user so that for on future visits they only see hot deals.

Currently, every time you load the front page it defaults back to viewing "ALL" forums in that module, which gives the user very little control over what they normally see in that module when they visit the BGG homepage. Any filter options that are clicked on last only a single front page view.

In other words, this would maintain the visibility to users who want to see such announcements, but give users additional control if they do NOT want to see announcements of all the geeklist auctions.

I've actually wanted this feature (for BGG to remember last filter selection for this module) ever since the Buying & Selling section started included things besides hot deals. Sometimes thats all I want to see for a while. IMHO, additional user configurability (especially when it comes to configuring the wall of information that is presented on the front page) is usually good

Any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Walkingshaw
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Add Geekbay option to buying/selling section on front page? (and option to not see them)
Yes! I think this is a nice solution. I missed this thread and suggested exactly the same thing here:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/448110

If the Admin Notice thread weren't locked (why is it?) we could have just replied with this suggestion, but hopefully people will see it here too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've responded in the thread linked above by walkie.

Short form, I agree and will suggest the changes.

For ease of discussion I encourage people to use the other thread for further comments and suggestions so they will all be in one place.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.